Why do people draft?

15678911»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I've been out with my wife twice this week and both times we've been passed more than once by blokes or groups of blokes who then sit just off the front of us until we eventually diverge routes.

I don't know what it is about being out on the bike with my wife but it seems to unfailingly attract these steely fast men of the road who have a big turn of speed when there's a woman up ahead... never happens on my own, weird that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    edited April 2021

I've been out with my wife twice this week and both times we've been passed more than once by blokes or groups of blokes who then sit just off the front of us until we eventually diverge routes.

I don't know what it is about being out on the bike with my wife but it seems to unfailingly attract these steely fast men of the road who have a big turn of speed when there's a woman up ahead... never happens on my own, weird that.

Maybe they just don't want to be accused of anything improper (drafting or otherwise) by following. They have caught up, they are going faster. Unless you missed out the bit where you passed them.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    pblakeney said:

Maybe they just don't want to be accused of anything improper (drafting or otherwise) by following. They have caught up, they are going faster. Unless you missed out the bit where you passed them.
    Or maybe they see a woman up the road and feel the need to overtake...

Given this doesn't really happen when I am on my own or with my male friends, I know which I think it is. Normally, people either pass me or I pass them and it settles out - one group goes off up the road, etc.. When I'm with my wife, we seem to pick up blokes just ahead of us.

Today we actually had to slow down to avoid leapfrogging.

It might not even be conscious - perhaps they just see a woman in non-trendy kit and assume she must be slow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    edited April 2021

When I'm with my wife, we seem to pick up blokes just ahead of us.

This is a new hobby which I'm going to avoid. 😉

FWIW, I will always pass a woman and not for the reason you think.
    We all know the current opinion of men following women.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I normally only post about bottom brackets and wheels and things and skimmed through this thread looking at the London Dynamo website just to see what the fuss was about. What a bunch of elitist nonsense their site is.