Why do people draft?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

By comparison, Manchester Wheelers, another large - abeit 'traditional' - cycle club, is listed as having 310 members.

Which is weird since I don't see them around very much (I ride with another local club).

We don't have our own website (just a profile page on BC). No requirement for club kit. I have no idea if we have an anti-bullying policy...
    Great opportunity to start laying in to the 'clubbies' then?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

By comparison, Manchester Wheelers, another large - abeit 'traditional' - cycle club, is listed as having 310 members.

Which is weird since I don't see them around very much (I ride with another local club).

We don't have our own website (just a profile page on BC). No requirement for club kit. I have no idea if we have an anti-bullying policy...
    Great opportunity to start laying in to the 'clubbies' then?
    Well, I couldn't say we definitely don't have one - I just haven't got a clue... Maybe I could find out by giving out some abuse and seeing what happens...
  • bobmcstuff
    edited April 2021
    Perhaps it would be easier if we had our own website. Maybe we could copy some of the LDY one :wink:
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    If you're not aware of the bullying policy, then does that mean you must be the bully?
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Just thought I'd pop back to see what's been going on - lots!

I did ask for the website copy feedback, I suppose :/

Not to everyone's taste (nor mine particularly if I'm honest) but not something I'd work myself up about particularly. I think it gets all the info across clearly. Might be a bit 'serious' at times I suppose, but that's possibly a reflection on who's involved each year in producing the stuff and, more importantly, how many bits of info we are obliged to provide as part of the BC membership and to ensure we have the permissions of The Royal Parks to hold organised rides in Richmond Park.

Quite a few London clubs restrict newcomer rides to 'invite only' or 'application only'. Admittedly not the friendliest approach, but the 'rock up and ride' method has proved problematic in the past 10 years with the explosion of cycling as a popular hobby.

I'm pleased we offer a Welfare policy (note: not specifically a bullying policy). We are obliged to anyway, esp. when dealing with Junior riders. As a parent I'm glad the days of 'just toughen up' are over, and I'm surprised some on here think that would be an appropriate policy for kids (or adults for that matter).

A lot of the other comments on here seem quite childish. Criticising the expressions of people in photos? Really?

We certainly have no problem with attracting new members, so must be doing something right for a lot of people (who find us a friendly bunch to ride with).

As I mentioned, I've been a member for years. In all that time I can only think of a handful of people that I haven't enjoyed riding with. My views on a lot of posters on here would probably be somewhat different. Good job we're all different!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,748

Discussing things with you is always so enjoyable Imposter, even though I struggle to keep up with the wit and banter. Have you thought about joining LD? I think you'd fit right in.

If I'd set the search criteria to '300 miles away' they might have come up. I don't know enough about LD to decide whether I'd fit in or not. You've clearly already done that research and made up your mind, so you apparently have the advantage on me there...
    Yeah, I'd agree I have the advantage of you.
    Yes, you're definitely better than me.
    Excellent! Taller, better looking, more affluent, funnier, more charming. I feel great now. Damn I love this forum.
    You should celebrate by joining LD. By your own standards, you'd probably fit in a lot better than I would...

I can only ever dream.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

well you obviously aren't a proper club founded on gritty eastern european riding ideals, wearing iconic kit and being dicks in Richmond Park.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect

Just thought I'd pop back to see what's been going on - lots!

I did ask for the website copy feedback, I suppose :/

Not to everyone's taste (nor mine particularly if I'm honest) but not something I'd work myself up about particularly. I think it gets all the info across clearly. Might be a bit 'serious' at times I suppose, but that's possibly a reflection on who's involved each year in producing the stuff and, more importantly, how many bits of info we are obliged to provide as part of the BC membership and to ensure we have the permissions of The Royal Parks to hold organised rides in Richmond Park.

Quite a few London clubs restrict newcomer rides to 'invite only' or 'application only'. Admittedly not the friendliest approach, but the 'rock up and ride' method has proved problematic in the past 10 years with the explosion of cycling as a popular hobby.

I'm pleased we offer a Welfare policy (note: not specifically a bullying policy). We are obliged to anyway, esp. when dealing with Junior riders. As a parent I'm glad the days of 'just toughen up' are over, and I'm surprised some on here think that would be an appropriate policy for kids (or adults for that matter).

A lot of the other comments on here seem quite childish. Criticising the expressions of people in photos? Really?

We certainly have no problem with attracting new members, so must be doing something right for a lot of people (who find us a friendly bunch to ride with).

As I mentioned, I've been a member for years. In all that time I can only think of a handful of people that I haven't enjoyed riding with. My views on a lot of posters on here would probably be somewhat different. Good job we're all different!

You do understand this is an internet forum, and a few of us are trying to wind you up, right?

I checked the pages of the local club no one knows me at. All the pics are of people smiling and riding bikes in nice places. No one is in a suit and no one has used their LinkedIn photo.... Sorry if my earlier remark came off as a cheap shot, I was intending to be humourous, but honestly I think even you can see the impression that it makes to the outside world.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,426
    edited April 2021
  • bobmcstuff

We require new riders to do an introductory ride on the Saturday social ride before they join - I think that's pretty normal. It's not invite only though.

• First.Aspect

We require new riders to do an introductory ride on the Saturday social ride before they join - I think that's pretty normal. It's not invite only though.

And I assume if someone is unfamiliar with bunch riding, there is a means of teaching them, rather than saying "come back when you are good enough"?

I read the first page of the old thread KG posted. I didn't get much beyond pinkbikini and another LD member suggesting that bad behaviour by newcomers or hangers on to the group would unfortunately sometimes happen.

#inclusive
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The other thread is epic.

I have 2 experieces of LD (notwithstanding the odd traffic offense, but it's more memorable because they have LD kit and the 'reputation' ;))

1) Met a friendly grey haired chap who helped shepherd some rather over excited young'uns round RL100 - notably over the first 20-30 miles. We eventually parted ways when he stopped for refreshments at the top of Box Hill and I carried on but he passed me again going down the back of Wimbledon (I think?) as I cramped up. I desperately lurched for his wheel and nearly fell off as my legs totally seized up.

2) A young guy kept crashing our Tuesday night chaingang and blowing it to pieces. An absolute bellend.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

I have 2 experieces of LD

To be fair, that's two more than most 'opinion contributors' to this thread...

• bobmcstuff

And I assume if someone is unfamiliar with bunch riding, there is a means of teaching them, rather than saying "come back when you are good enough"?

I read the first page of the old thread KG posted. I didn't get much beyond pinkbikini and another LD member suggesting that bad behaviour by newcomers or hangers on to the group would unfortunately sometimes happen.

#inclusive
    Yeah, absolutely - and advising them which group they should ride with, if you were a new rider you might be in for a nasty shock if you turned up to a ride that was too fast.
  • First.Aspect

#inclusive
    Yeah, absolutely - and advising them which group they should ride with, if you were a new rider you might be in for a nasty shock if you turned up to a ride that was too fast.
    That's great.

Our monthly socials sort of break down to fast/slow by themselves, we regroup a few minutes in and to their great credit someone from the club then goes with the slow group until we stop for cake. Works brilliantly and doesn't discourage anyone.

Like all things, there are good and bad clubs. I'm not a cycling club sort of a person really, but I've been a member at rowing clubs with self important members of the Third Reich creating rules for the joy of enforcing them, totally shambolic rowing clubs who distance themselves from the consequences of not having enough rules, and very welcoming rowing clubs that are fantastic adverts for getting newbies who didn't go to private school onto the water. Pretty even split actually.
  • MattFalle
    That as maybe, but Dynamo sound well websters.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

That as maybe, but Dynamo sound well websters.

I've got to know - what exactly does your mind conjure up by the word "webster"?
  • MattFalle
    edited April 2021
    its difficult to define, but essentially abitshit.

In the case of Dynamo, reallyshit.
  • MattFalle
    Can be easily changed for "webbo", as in "Dynamo are more than a bit webbo".
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,044
    On the admissions to clubs - I ran a few intro rides for Kingston Wheelers a few years ago and I really noticed a difference to starters 5 years prior.

People are rocking up with a) outrageously expensive kit (I'm just jealous) but mainly b) really very fast for a n00b but without the associated road craft.

I put it down to the proliferation of indoor or static cycling.

There were guys who could charge hard and fast for quite a while and they struggled maintaining a consistent tempo that wasn't balls out - this meant a lot of overlapping, or leaving gaps and then zooming up to catch them, then squeezing the brake etc. I remember one guy just constantly dropping everyone - he'd been doing zwift or whatever for a year and got bored so figured he'd go out on the road. I could barely keep up with him myself. I don't think he came back - riding someone else's tempo was not for him.

If I was feeling mean I'd say they turned up with a lot more arrogance than i did - when I rocked up as a teenager to my first club run a decade and a half ago I was absolutely petrified and took everything they told me as absolute gospel, until I worked it out for myself. These guys were different. It's easy to think it's all about the raw speed and power, and the confidence that gives you, but drafting/riding in a group is mainly around being smooth.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

So pretty much like every other club then according to you.

• MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

So pretty much like every other club then according to you.

ah, no. this lot are reallyshit. the rest are justshit.
  • MattFalle
    who are you with by the way?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited April 2021
    MattFalle said:

Have I done something to offend you or are you just having a bad day luv.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

Have I done something to offend you or are you just having a bad day luv.
    Nah, fam, ypu be groovy.

We've had this discussion before fam :)

Webboo - tranquillo br dude.

websters or webbo - from the military vernacular of a bitshitreally
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

I'm in a club of 1.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Now I know why my son in law looks at my name and sniggers.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

LD in taking themselves too seriously shocker. Again.

And please don't try and drag Milwall, the mighty mighty Milwall from The Den, down to LD level....

I’ll leave Millwall be then.
    What’s the issue with the LD website copy though, since you raised it?
    Well, where do we start?

Bland. Unimaginative. Hyperbolic. Just shambolic tbh.

It seems like it has been written by somebody who has scoured the lower class modern cycling retailers such as Hunt and Dopey Millar and chosen the worst parts of their marketing designed to fluff average products the the unknowing and gullible then deep throated it down.

Its grey, grey, bland. None of it makes you inspired or smile. It actually makes you want to sell your bike and take up smoking and serious boozing with a bit of whoring on the side.

Compare it to Paragon - colourful, funny, self deprecating. They seem to be having fun, Dynamo are living in their own egos, writing cheques their bodies can't cash. Paragon members are also better looking from the looks of things.

And your kit is, well, so very clubbie. Not so much iconic as ironic.

Your "rides" section? Laughable. You're an amateur club made up of arrogant average riders. Don't patronise me.

You're not redolent of anything gritty except perhaps a hard shoulder off the M25.

Overall its a bit, well, tired and boring and badly written. It seems like its been written by a first year English under grad at a lower level polytechnic.

4/10.

to be fair drinking smoking and whoring is fine alongside cycling. no need to sell your bike
  • MattFalle
    webbo is interchangeable with tonk, as in Dynamo? nah, thats tonk.

Can also be extended to Harry von Websters for when Dynamo are out in force....
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

I'm in a club of 1.
    yeah, right, ok.

nice story fam.