Why do people draft?

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited April 2021 in Road general
So yesterday I was riding outdoors and apparently someone on rim brakes thought it was a good idea to get a “free ride” while I doing 25mph.

The traffic light went to red and since I was doing 25mph, I had to brake quite hard to slow down in time. The dude behind didn’t have enough stopping power and nearly crashed into me. What the hell is this fool thinking it is a good idea to draft behind me while on rim brakes.

Seriously, why don’t people get an e-bike instead of jumping on the wheel of strangers. It is the same thing basically.

If I know someone is on my wheel and I don’t know them, I just drop them. But sometimes, I have no idea someone is on my wheel like yesterday, with all the risks that can happen.

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    So what you're saying is if he was on discs it would've been fine to draft you as he could've stopped in time?

Maybe you should've anticipated the lights changing then you wouldn't have had to slam on?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Awesome...
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Your point about brakes is a weird one to be emphasising as I don't think that's the issue.

I do agree that it's bloody annoying when a stranger decides to tailgate though, especially when they only decide to put the effort in because their ego is too fragile to accept being overtaken in the first place. I've had someone clip my back wheel doing this and they then had the audacity to throw insults at me when I asked them to back off.

Don't know why people think it's acceptable.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    edited April 2021
    If you were in any way experienced, you'd have discounted the rim vs. disc nonsense before even logging on. The limiting factor is the tyre contact patch.

All your post says is you didn't anticipate the lights very well, you weren't aware there was anyone behind you, and the bloke behind you didn't ask to draft and was nearly caught out.

Sounds like two chumps racing for man point in town to me. Happens all the time.
  • First.Aspect
    I love the clarification "riding outdoors" by the way. There's a bit more going on than Zwift, isn't there?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The fact he goes on about rim brakes and dropping everyone immediately says he's not really the best, the fact he didn't realise that there was someone 2 feet away supports this.

First has basically hit the nail on the head re the rest of it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Its also good that he emphasised that he was riding outdoors when this happened and not, say, in his garage zwifting.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • zest28
    edited April 2021
    ibr17xvii said:

So what you're saying is if he was on discs it would've been fine to draft you as he could've stopped in time?

Maybe you should've anticipated the lights changing then you wouldn't have had to slam on?

It was definetly the rim brakes. He totally overshot and had to crawl backwards. Me, I stopped in time.

People on rim brakes should not be on the wheels of disc brake bikes, especially when the guy in front has no idea that someone on rim brakes is on his wheel. It is just stupid.

And no, drafting on strangers with disc brakes is not cool either in general. But on rim brakes, it is even more dangerous.

He is lucky he did not crash into me.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    zest28 said:

ibr17xvii said:

It was definetly the rim brakes. He totally overshot and had to crawl backwards. Me, I stopped in time.

People on rim brakes should not be on the wheels of disc brake bikes, especially when the guy in front has no idea that someone on rim brakes is on his wheel. It is just stupid.

Was it wet?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • zest28
    edited April 2021
    pangolin said:

zest28 said:

ibr17xvii said:

Was it wet?
    It was dry. The fact is, his bike with rim brakes did not have the stopping power to come to a halt before the stop lights with his rim brakes.

I never had the situation where I could not stop in time behind someone with my disc brakes.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    zest28 said:

So yesterday I was riding outdoors and apparently someone on rim brakes thought it was a good idea to get a “free ride” while I doing 25mph.

The traffic light went to red and since I was doing 25mph, I had to brake quite hard to slow down in time. The dude behind didn’t have enough stopping power and nearly crashed into me. What the hell is this fool thinking it is a good idea to draft behind me while on rim brakes.

Seriously, why don’t people get an e-bike instead of jumping on the wheel of strangers. It is the same thing basically.

If I know someone is on my wheel and I don’t know them, I just drop them. But sometimes, I have no idea someone is on my wheel like yesterday, with all the risks that can happen.

Maybe he had heard what a hero you are and just wanted to bask in your aura by sitting on your wheel.
  • pangolin
    No difference in the dry sorry. You can get the back wheel off the ground stopping on a front rim brake.

Maybe his brakes were set up badly, but discs can be set up badly too.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • zest28
    edited April 2021
    pangolin said:

No difference in the dry sorry. You can get the back wheel off the ground stopping on a front rim brake.

Maybe his brakes were set up badly, but discs can be set up badly too.

That could be a possibility.

However disc brakes bikes are always good. I have some older mountain bikes and they always brake excellent 100%.
  • pangolin
    Anyways, I recommend this to avoid this happening again:

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    Come on they're not always good...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    I reccomend you take up mountain biking.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Something to brighten up my Sunday and give me a good laugh. Hilarious.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    zest28 said:

ibr17xvii said:

And no, drafting on strangers with disc brakes is not cool either in general. But on rim brakes, it is even more dangerous.

Road racing must have been carnage in recent years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • zest28
    edited April 2021
    pangolin said:

Anyways, I recommend this to avoid this happening again:

You'll laugh, but I was actually thinking of buying something like this. But it will look stupid on my bike.

I am still thinking about it.

It is also very handy when trying to overtake a group of other cyclists, to check if it is safe to do so with cars.
  • To go faster for less effort.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    I'm still not clear on who overtook who, to set up this near fatal event. Personally, when I have been catching someone, even someone extremely awesome, and I get so some lights, I pull up next to them so that I get away ahead. Just saying.
  • zest28

zest28 said:

ibr17xvii said:

Some pro's have actually complained about a mixed field of disc and rim brakes actually due to their difference in stopping power.
  • First.Aspect
    zest28 said:

zest28 said:

ibr17xvii said:

Some pro's have actually complained about a mixed field of disc and rim brakes actually due to their difference in stopping power.
    Yes but it turned out to be b0llocks.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Get yourself a warning badge so others know you have better brakes, these were fitted to MK2 Jaguars in the 60s

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    zest28 said:

ibr17xvii said:

Whatever your views / opinions are on drafting a stranger the whole idea that it becomes inherently more dangerous if the guy in front is on discs & the guy behind has rims is absolutely laughable.
  • zest28

Get yourself a warning badge so others know you have better brakes, these were fitted to MK2 Jaguars in the 60s

I am actually considering installing a very stinky, smelly spray that I can trigger from my handlebar if people are on my wheel.

But not sure if there are legal implications if I do something like this.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    Someone once didn't crash into me, too. Horrible experience.
  • First.Aspect
    I'm ashamed to say I've not crashed in to quite a few people.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Is it April Fool's again already?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    I guess this has much more to do with reaction time than brake performance- rim or disc is totally irrelevant.
    I do get the thing about people sitting on unannounced though- it irritates me, although I don’t really know why. Just feels like an invasion of personal space. Maybe it’s just me.