Why do people draft?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Thing is, the mighty Dynamo elite actually have stated that they won't wait for you so at least you know what to expect.

Its fun things like being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a broken bicycle while everyone cycles off that really makes a club an inclusive organisation and really make you feel wanted.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

LD in taking themselves too seriously shocker. Again.

And please don't try and drag Milwall, the mighty mighty Milwall from The Den, down to LD level....

I’ll leave Millwall be then.
    What’s the issue with the LD website copy though, since you raised it?
    Well, where do we start?

Bland. Unimaginative. Hyperbolic. Just shambolic tbh.

It seems like it has been written by somebody who has scoured the lower class modern cycling retailers such as Hunt and Dopey Millar and chosen the worst parts of their marketing designed to fluff average products the the unknowing and gullible then deep throated it down.

Its grey, grey, bland. None of it makes you inspired or smile. It actually makes you want to sell your bike and take up smoking and serious boozing with a bit of whoring on the side.

Compare it to Paragon - colourful, funny, self deprecating. They seem to be having fun, Dynamo are living in their own egos, writing cheques their bodies can't cash. Paragon members are also better looking from the looks of things.

And your kit is, well, so very clubbie. Not so much iconic as ironic.

Your "rides" section? Laughable. You're an amateur club made up of arrogant average riders. Don't patronise me.

You're not redolent of anything gritty except perhaps a hard shoulder off the M25.

Overall its a bit, well, tired and boring and badly written. It seems like its been written by a first year English under grad at a lower level polytechnic.

4/10.

Fair enough, each to their own!
  • MattFalle

jog on fella.
  • MattFalle
    Now this is a shambles.

https://www.londondynamo.co.uk/join/

tbh dude, the more I look at your club the less appealing it is
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Complete a newcomers ride...and another section says they're invite only. Super inclusive.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,870
    MattFalle said:

Now this is a shambles.

https://www.londondynamo.co.uk/join/

tbh dude, the more I look at your club the less appealing it is

Main benefit I can see is that it keeps them away from us.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I hesitate to jump on the band wagon, but...

"broom wagon where possible" for laps of Richmond Park on a Wednesday night? Just doesn't sound necessary and a little pretentious. Its laps!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663
    Look, I've not got any skin in the game - I live a long way away and I merely challenge myself cycling and rowing for my own enjoyment (look this word up if it is unfamiliar to you). However, that website epitomises absolutely everything that is wrong with amateur sports clubs.

Might I suggest that if you have a bullying policy in a club like this there are only two possibilities (a) some of your members aren't tough enough (b) you have had a bullying problem.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,963

Look, I've not got any skin in the game - I live a long way away and I merely challenge myself cycling and rowing for my own enjoyment (look this word up if it is unfamiliar to you). However, that website epitomises absolutely everything that is wrong with amateur sports clubs.

Might I suggest that if you have a bullying policy in a club like this there are only two possibilities (a) some of your members aren't tough enough (b) you have had a bullying problem.

To be fair, every amateur sports club should have a safeguarding policy, so your assumptions really aren't justified.

However, it doesn't come across as a friendly club from the website and is bloody expensive to become a member of in comparison to the clubs down here.
  • MattFalle

To be fair, every amateur sports club should have a safeguarding policy, so your assumptions really aren't justified.

However, it doesn't come across as a friendly club from the website and is bloody expensive to become a member of in comparison to the clubs down here.
    tbf, it just looks total websters.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    "Cycle clubs don't need a bullying policy" - says a load of people who are effectively queueing up to trash a legitimate cycle club's entire membership and safeguarding policies.

Give your heads a wobble, the lot of you.
  • First.Aspect
    Yes, yes, safeguarding is a legal requirement if you have a youth section and all that. Bullying policy though? For the adult membership? As one of the key parts of the website?

The point I'm making as flippantly as possible is that the focus of the website and the overall messaging is profoundly off putting. Lots of photos of committee members smiling as though they are squeezing out a f@art, some very serious and sincere messaging, some photos of men looking manly and seriously racing and nothing, whatsoever, that looks in any way fun. I would be more likely to react favourably to a "Your Country Needs You" poster.

This does not necessarily speak to the membership itself (although lets be honest, if you see that website and think, yes, that looks awesome, it may well do), but pinkbikini asked for feedback on the "copy" - and I'm happy to oblige.
  • imposter2.0

The point I'm making as flippantly as possible is that the focus of the website and the overall messaging is profoundly off putting.

Off-putting to you, clearly. The club has over 500 members though. Maybe they don't share your opinion.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,963
    FA - safeguarding doesn't just apply to having a youth section. Plenty of adults are vulnerable, hence ALL clubs need to have a safeguarding policy.

It may well be that LD feel they are at 'capacity' membership wise and therefore can afford to put across an 'exclusive' message.
  • imposter2.0
    BTW - Dynamo is an accredited go-ride club. So you can all relax about the safeguarding and bullying policies now.

And the answer to your next question is "No, I'm not a member."
  • First.Aspect

The point I'm making as flippantly as possible is that the focus of the website and the overall messaging is profoundly off putting.

Off-putting to you, clearly. The club has over 500 members though. Maybe they don't share your opinion.

They are in a city of 8 million people though. The home town of the club I don't have time to ride with has about 80 members and a population of 20,000.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,324
    It's a consequence of riding chain gangs - if you're in one, I assume that there's a pressure to maintain the formation and the speed. If you aren't, and get caught by one, this manifests itself in the chain gang thinking they have more right to the road space than you. And Dynamo ride around Richmond Park in chain gangs more than anyone else.
  • First.Aspect

FA - safeguarding doesn't just apply to having a youth section. Plenty of adults are vulnerable, hence ALL clubs need to have a safeguarding policy.

It may well be that LD feel they are at 'capacity' membership wise and therefore can afford to put across an 'exclusive' message.

Ah, the "Rapha" of cycling clubs.

I'm not a club type of person, Reginald. But no, they don't need to have a formal policy. If you are youth coaching, it is a requirement for obvious reasons. Should all clubs have a formal policy? I don't think so to be honest. A lot of little sports clubs are not much more than a Facebook page, a logo so some like minded people can race together, and a loose affiliation with a local bike shop. Lets not stamp that out, eh?
  • imposter2.0

They are in a city of 8 million people though. The home town of the club I don't have time to ride with has about 80 members and a population of 20,000.
    Your point would only be valid if LD was the only cycling club in London, which it obviously isn't. BC's 'club finder' lists 195 cycle clubs in the London region.

• MattFalle

nah, fam they have made it really expensive because they think they are special and serious and racin'

when in actual fact that they're just total websters with a bad rep and a rubbish website

• First.Aspect

Your point would only be valid if LD was the only cycling club in London, which it obviously isn't. BC's 'club finder' lists 195 cycle clubs in the London region.

What is the "London region" - that's about half the UK population isn't it?
  • imposter2.0

What is the "London region" - that's about half the UK population isn't it?
    I set the search criteria to 15 miles radius - so Twickenham CC out west and Barking & Dagenham CC to the east. I'm not interested in debating the demographics in this instance.

The point is - a membership of 500 is a respectable number for any cycle club, most of whom (you'd have to assume) do not share your opinion of it.
  • imposter2.0
    By comparison, Manchester Wheelers, another large - abeit 'traditional' - cycle club, is listed as having 310 members.
  • First.Aspect
    Discussing things with you is always so enjoyable Imposter, even though I struggle to keep up with the wit and banter. Have you thought about joining LD? I think you'd fit right in.
  • imposter2.0

Discussing things with you is always so enjoyable Imposter, even though I struggle to keep up with the wit and banter. Have you thought about joining LD? I think you'd fit right in.

If I'd set the search criteria to '300 miles away' they might have come up. I don't know enough about LD to decide whether I'd fit in or not. You've clearly already done that research and made up your mind, so you apparently have the advantage on me there...
  • First.Aspect

If I'd set the search criteria to '300 miles away' they might have come up. I don't know enough about LD to decide whether I'd fit in or not. You've clearly already done that research and made up your mind, so you apparently have the advantage on me there...
    Yeah, I'd agree I have the advantage of you.
  • imposter2.0

Yes, you're definitely better than me.
  • First.Aspect

Excellent! Taller, better looking, more affluent, funnier, more charming. I feel great now. Damn I love this forum.
  • imposter2.0

Excellent! Taller, better looking, more affluent, funnier, more charming. I feel great now. Damn I love this forum.
    You should celebrate by joining LD. By your own standards, you'd probably fit in a lot better than I would...

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

By comparison, Manchester Wheelers, another large - abeit 'traditional' - cycle club, is listed as having 310 members.

Which is weird since I don't see them around very much (I ride with another local club).

We don't have our own website (just a profile page on BC). No requirement for club kit. I have no idea if we have an anti-bullying policy...