First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

Comments

• Rode mine for the first time on Sunday. Did and hour and half on my old steed (2011 Scott Speedster) and then switched over to the Cube and did another hour and half so got a very good comparison. It's quite a bit more upright than the Scott which I found more comfortable (once I'd sorted saddle height) and bodes well for longer rides. It's definitely less jarring over poor road surfaces due to the combination of frame and wider tyre I guess.

Overall very happy and looking forward to putting some more miles on it. First proper ride will be the Wares Cambridge 80 miles on March 12th.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    djone101 wrote:
    Rode mine for the first time on Sunday. Did and hour and half on my old steed (2011 Scott Speedster) and then switched over to the Cube and did another hour and half so got a very good comparison. It's quite a bit more upright than the Scott which I found more comfortable (once I'd sorted saddle height) and bodes well for longer rides. It's definitely less jarring over poor road surfaces due to the combination of frame and wider tyre I guess.

Overall very happy and looking forward to putting some more miles on it. First proper ride will be the Wares Cambridge 80 miles on March 12th.

It's definitely a more upright position than my old Bianchi ML3 that is attached to my turbo trainer. I did a quick ride on the Cube last week up and down a layby near my house. I didn't have my cycling gear on, but I could instantly tell how much more upright I was. Reminds me of the hybrid I'm currently doing the miles on (in terms of riding position), but is obviously a much better setup.
  • I love mine :)

Current plans are to get a shorter stem and a saddle more suited to my backside, but other than that it's great :)

I changed to an 80mm stem just to bring the hoods in a little closer, much more comfortable set up now. No huge impact on handling, if anything i like it a little more responsive

Feels more comfortable out of the saddle too
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • So, a large nail today has ruined my front tyre. Bugger.

Thinking I may as well take advantage of the frame clearance and go for wider ones, 28c will clearly fit but does anyone know if I could go wider still? 32c even?
  • RobiEli
    RobiEli Posts: 25
    So one week now after getting mine set up properly....meaning so the disc breaks aren't rubbing. I tried a good 8-10 times loosening the calipers and tightening while having the brakes pulled.....it didn't work. Then I figured out that I was tightening the caliper bolts too much which caused the disc to go off center again. I instead tightened them just to the point where they won't move while breaking and now everything is perfect and running super smoothly. I absolutely love this bike. It's so fast! It is my first road bike (last time I owned a road bike was 27 years ago lol) and the fastest bike I've ever ridden. Super easy to climb hills, flawless shifting and it looks amazing! :)
  • benws1
    RobiEli wrote:
    So one week now after getting mine set up properly....meaning so the disc breaks aren't rubbing. I tried a good 8-10 times loosening the calipers and tightening while having the brakes pulled.....it didn't work. Then I figured out that I was tightening the caliper bolts too much which caused the disc to go off center again. I instead tightened them just to the point where they won't move while breaking and now everything is perfect and running super smoothly. I absolutely love this bike. It's so fast! It is my first road bike (last time I owned a road bike was 27 years ago lol) and the fastest bike I've ever ridden. Super easy to climb hills, flawless shifting and it looks amazing! :)

As the frame is carbon, do you need to torque the brake caliper bolts up to a specific setting? Or have you just left them tightened them by hand?

I think it's the latter. :)
  • RobiEli
    Yeah, I tightened them by hand. There aren't any torque values printed anywhere. Everything else has but not these bolts. Would be nice to know if there is a specific torque for them.
  • benws1
    RobiEli wrote:
    Yeah, I tightened them by hand. There aren't any torque values printed anywhere. Everything else has but not these bolts. Would be nice to know if there is a specific torque for them.

I thought there would be due to the carbon frame.

I did lookup some stuff on the shimano website the other week. Can't remember the specifics now, but it looks like the calipers are listed with torque specs on there. Not sure if carbon frame is different to metal though.

Edited to add:

Park Tool website has some generice Shimano caliper mount torque specs here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -section-4

They list the torque as 53-69 in lb. When you convert this (Nm = in-lb x 0.113) you get around 5.9 to 7.7 in nm. Probably about right as another website I found states 6 - 8nm.
  • RobiEli
    Awesome, thank you.
  • Keep an eye on those thru axles. I got back from a ride today and when I picked the bike up to put back in the garage, I felt a "clunk". The rear axle had come completely loose.
  • RobiEli
    That doesn't sound good. I was wondering what to do about long trips.....I didn't consider I'd have to lug around my adjustable torque wrench in case I get a flat...would be nice if there were quick releases instead. :/
  • You don't need a torque wrench. You just need a 5mm Allen key which you should be carrying with you anyway...
  • RobiEli
    You don't need a torque wrench. You just need a 5mm Allen key which you should be carrying with you anyway...

How would I put the wheel on with the proper torque? It says 10-16Nm
    You mean it's good enough to do by hand until I return home?
  • RobiEli wrote:
    You don't need a torque wrench. You just need a 5mm Allen key which you should be carrying with you anyway...

How would I put the wheel on with the proper torque? It says 10-16Nm
    You mean it's good enough to do by hand until I return home?

If you wind it up to 16Nm you'll have a job undoing it at the roadside with a multi tool/allen key anyway. 10Nm is doable by hand and IMHO is tight enough so long as you check before each ride
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Not sure why it would be coming loose though - I've done several hundred miles on mine now and it's as tight as it was the day I first got it.
  • benws1
    Finally rode mine on Saturday. Holy crap, it is worlds apart from my old hybrid. Really comfortable riding position, felt really fast (rolling along at 17mph compared to the 14mph on my hybrid), and it seems to eat the miles. Gear changes are smooth (although changing down on the rear sometimes jumps two) and the way the frame soaks up the bumps is amazing.

Only issue I am having is one relating to a slight niggling pain around my Achilles/ankle in my right foot during and after riding. I've started a separate thread about this in the health section, but I guess this could be any number of things.

I did 28.6 miles for the first ride on Saturday and the bike ate them up with ease. :)
  • RobiEli
    benws1 wrote:
    Finally rode mine on Saturday. Holy crap, it is worlds apart from my old hybrid.

I also made a transition from riding a hybrid for 3 years to my Cube and it's like WOW! lol....Really love how much faster I go, how much easier it is to climb hills...smooth shifting...much more comfort....I love the feel of the hoods too. Another major difference is using clip in shoes. I've always used toe-clips or straps. There's no comparison. I'm so happy with my decision.
  • djone101
    djone101 Posts: 29
    Keep an eye on those thru axles. I got back from a ride today and when I picked the bike up to put back in the garage, I felt a "clunk". The rear axle had come completely loose.

I did 85 miles yesterday on mine - checked the axles before and have just checked them now and they haven't moved.

Really pleased with how comfortable the bike was for a long ride. After 45 miles in the rain though it is absolutely filthy now and needs a proper clean and lube.
  • benws1
    RobiEli wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Finally rode mine on Saturday. Holy crap, it is worlds apart from my old hybrid.

I also made a transition from riding a hybrid for 3 years to my Cube and it's like WOW! lol....Really love how much faster I go, how much easier it is to climb hills...smooth shifting...much more comfort....I love the feel of the hoods too. Another major difference is using clip in shoes. I've always used toe-clips or straps. There's no comparison. I'm so happy with my decision.

I was initially quite nervous about riding it. However, when I got back home on Saturday, I was literally buzzing like an excited child. It's a much better setup than the hybrid. It should be though as it's quite a different beast.

My average speed for my first ride was 2mph more than the hybrid ride I did last week. As you say, it's a lot easier to whizz along at speed and go up inclines. Just need to settle into it though as I don't want to do too much too soon. I've gone from a hybrid with flat pedals to a road bike with clipless.

I'll take the hybrid fully off the road when the clocks go forward. It needs a big service and is my only bike with mudguards at the moment. Can't give it a rest just yet. I guess it has been beneficial riding it though as it's made me stronger. After the 28 miles on the Cube on Saturday, it was if I hadn't been on a bike for that distance. 28 miles on the hybrid takes it out of you. :)
  • Fitted my first little upgrade this morning - a 1cm shorter stem, which I also lowered half a cm than where I was before. I did a quick 10 mile run afterwards and its amazing what such a small change has made - so much more comfortable for me :)

IMG_8287.jpg
  • RobiEli
    Fitted my first little upgrade this morning - a 1cm shorter stem, which I also lowered half a cm than where I was before. I did a quick 10 mile run afterwards and its amazing what such a small change has made - so much more comfortable for me :)

IMG_8287.jpg

Beautiful! Which bar tape do you have? It looks nice and comfortable also. I think the stock tape that comes with the bike could be improved.
  • That's actually the stock tape, I think the camera angle just makes it look thicker than it actually is.

I've got a roll of 3.2mm Lizard Skin tape ready to put on which should be super comfy, I just haven't got round to it yet...
  • RobiEli
    That's actually the stock tape, I think the camera angle just makes it look thicker than it actually is.

I've got a roll of 3.2mm Lizard Skin tape ready to put on which should be super comfy, I just haven't got round to it yet...

Ah ok. Let us know how the Lizard Skin goes. Maybe I'll buy the same.
  • kon636
    kon636 Posts: 44
    That's a lovely looking Cube you have there. I've recently taken up road cycling and quickly moved from Vitus to cube and couldn't be happier.
  • RobiEli
    kon636 wrote:
    That's a lovely looking Cube you have there. I've recently taken up road cycling and quickly moved from Vitus to cube and couldn't be happier.

Which Cube are you riding, also the same?
  • jal2217
    jal2217 Posts: 7
    For those of you with a size 58 or 60 frame, how tall are you? I'm just a little over 6 ft and having trouble choosing between a 58 or 60. Leaning toward the 58 right now. I'll be ordering online so I won't have the ability to do any test rides. Thanks in advance for the help.
  • RobiEli
    I'm the same height. The dealer where I bought online only had 56 and 60 so I took a chance with the 56. Fits me fine. I wanted a 58 but not sure how much of a difference it would make..might even be more comfortable...no idea. Wish I had the opportunity to try both, but I'm happy with the 56. I'm guessing 60 would be too much.
  • jal2217
    jal2217 Posts: 7
    Thanks for info. CRC is recommending a 60 based on my height, but it just seems like such a large frame, but then I keep reading reports of cube sizing being a little small. Did you have to put a longer stem and use a big stack of spacers on the 56? Do you remember the stem length that came with the 56?
  • RobiEli
    Didn't swap anything on the bike yet. Everything is stock.
  • jal2217 wrote:
    Thanks for info. CRC is recommending a 60 based on my height, but it just seems like such a large frame, but then I keep reading reports of cube sizing being a little small. Did you have to put a longer stem and use a big stack of spacers on the 56? Do you remember the stem length that came with the 56?

56 comes with a 110 stem.

I'm 183cm/ 6ft and went with my usual 56cm. I swapped the stem out for a 120 as I felt a bit short on the tops. On the hoods was fine as the hoods are longer than normal (non hydro), hoods.