First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

Comments

• benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    oxoman wrote:
    Is the Disc warped or is it just catching, if catching its a 2 min fix. If rubbing, slacken both securing screws so it the caliper moved a bit ( not to slack ) then apply the brake and tighten up the caliper screw you slackened off. Once thats done you should be ok, you may have to do it after refitting wheels. It tends to need doing more often with Quick release skewers rather than through axles. If it is warped as already mentioned get it swapped pronto. As a first bike it should be pretty awesome, especially given the price.

It has quite a wobble in it and catches at one point on the wheel. As it runs through the pads, it looks like a wheel that is out of true.

I suppose I could press the bit of the disc that is catching inwards to remove the catch. It is literally one small point on the disc. However, the disc does have a wobble in it.

Its a pain to go back, but I think I will. The rear disc seems to run quite close to the inner side of that caliper to.

Thanks.
  • benws1
    Just been back home and double checked it. It is warped as it wobbles from side to side when you spin the wheel. It then catches the pad. It isn't straight at all.

The rear is slightly warped too. Are they supposed to be dead straight?

Annoying, but oh well.

To add further insult, I spent another £160 whilst I was there on some new shoes. They should be delivered in a week or so. I'm also looking at some new pedals.

They've had around £1200 off me today, so things can bloomin well be right. :)
  • Exactly. You've paid your £££ so don't feel like you're being awkward going back. If it's the disc that's been bent, then they'll have to order replacements, or swap for similar they have in stock. An out of true wheel wouldn't affect the rotor.
  • benws1
    Exactly. You've paid your £££ so don't feel like you're being awkward going back. If it's the disc that's been bent, then they'll have to order replacements, or swap for similar they have in stock. An out of true wheel wouldn't affect the rotor.

Yep. Wheel seems fine, but the disc seems slightly bent in places. To me, it wobbles like a wheel that needs straightening.

I can't understand how they let it pass the pdi. Its ticked on the sheet that the mechanic checked it. Oh well. The mechanic may have had the wrong glasses on as he or she has put a service sticker on it and its off to one side. When I get it back i'll take it off as it messes with my ocd. :)
  • benws1
    Just rang bike shop.

'They all do that sir.' Basically, he said they will true the rotor and that's it. Said if I want to do it at home, just get a spanner and bend it back.

No mention of swapping or replacing. :)
  • Mine certainly don't. Maybe point them in the direction of this thread and let Sir see if "they all do that"...
  • benws1
    Thanks all.

To be honest, I'm not happy with their response. However, its Sunday afternoon, I'm ill and I really cannot be bothered with a 50 mile round trip.

I'm going to ride it and see what happens. Its due back in six weeks for a free first service. If anything crops up i'll query it then.

In the meantime ive found another issue. The bar tape hasn't been finished properly under the handlebar. It has a triangular piece of tape hanging down underneath.

This is the first time ive bought a bike from the shop and it isn't a great omen is it. :)

Let's not forget I also have £160 worth of shoes on order with them too. I'll pop it back to them when I go to collect the shoes.
  • benws1
    Scrap the above. I'm off back to the shop. :) Going to tell them it isn't good enough.
  • benws1
    Went back to bike shop. Bike shop adamant that this is normal for the discs. Told me to ride it and this will improve the warping. They refused to swap for new. Said take it back for the free service by 10th April and they will do any necessary tweaks.

Whilst I was there, I pointed out to them the bar tape end hanging under the handlebar and a few cable plugs that were nowhere near where the cable enters or exits the frame. Their response - well it's only a few little things. No sorry for missing these things during the pdi.

Oh well, I know what to expect now. It's no wonder I'm keen to learn how to fix these things myself. Bike shops seem to miss the finer things and not really give a damn. Yes, they fixed the small things today, but they didn't seem at all bothered that things had been missed. Some may say I'm being too fussy. However, when buying new you expect it to be in top condition.

We'll see how disc-gate pans out. :)
  • Don't feel you need to cloak their identity- what's the name of this shopshite?

Re your shoes, you've tried them, you know they fit.....Cancel the order and get them elsewhere online. Support your helpful local bike ship- yes. Support your local unhelpful ship- no.
  • benws1
    Don't feel you need to cloak their identity- what's the name of this shopshite?

Re your shoes, you've tried them, you know they fit.....Cancel the order and get them elsewhere online. Support your helpful local bike ship- yes. Support your local unhelpful ship- no.

Are we allowed to name on here?

Oh well, it's Rutland Cycles at Peterborough. Supposedly an award winning shop. I think I'll leave a review.

Don't worry, I'll be cancelling the shoe order the moment I have tried them on. :) I've paid in full for them as they are ordering them in, so just need to double check the fit when they are delivered and will then cancel. We can all play these little games. ;)
  • I got mine online from Rutland and it was fine. Dunno if that was me being lucky or you've been unlucky!
  • benws1
    I got mine online from Rutland and it was fine. Dunno if that was me being lucky or you've been unlucky!

I'm sure there are many happy customers. I've obviously been unlucky.

Funny you say yours was fine as the mechanic at the shop today told me all new Shimano rotors are warped. Apparently, you need to use the bike to straighten them out.

I guess some Rutland customers are special as they have to true the rotors on their brand new bikes. And finish off the bar tape properly. And plug the frame cable gromits in. ;)
  • That's awful customer service. I would email Rutland head office customer service and make a fuss, your rotors should be perfect on a brand new bike.

IF they need truing then the shop should have done it before they released the bike (or fitted some new ones)

maybe send Rutland head office the link to this thread? 4000+ views I'm sure they will be pleased to resolve the issue for you so you can tell everyone how reactive they've been rather than how poor
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • benws1
    Thanks all.

Will chase this up with customer services today. I'm at home as this pesky flu/cold has dragged me away from work, so have plenty of time to kick up a fuss.

Will also mention this thread. Hell, we'll see what happens. May need a thread of its own. ;)

I used Rutland as they do seem to have a good reputation. I understand that as with everything, you can have bad examples in a good organisation. However, it was if the staff went on lockdown yesterday and didn't want to entertain my queries. The person who said the jobs were only minor things was the store manager I think (that or assistant manager). He was the one who originally sold me the bike last week. I also had a member of staff totally ignore me (the one who went through the bike with me on Saturday) and the mechanic working on the bike looked at me like I was a piece of dirt. On reflection, they were bloody rude.
  • benws1
    Spoke to customer services. They can't believe I've been told that every Shimano rotor is warped and bent. Also not happy that bits of the bike were left unfinished. They agreed a brand new bike should be perfect.

Lady is going to call the store now and then get back to me. I also said I wish to cancel the shoe order. We'll deal with that when she calls back.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress.
  • benws1
    Just had a call back from the store deputy manager. Very apologetic, acknowledged that that my experience hasn't been the best and will take my issues up with the store manager when he returns on Wednesday. Said he wasn't aware of some of the issues I have raised (even though he was stood there yesterday when I was complaining). Said his staff shouldn't have spoken to me like they did and he isn't pleased. Stated that they did fix the things for me yesterday (apart from the rotors), but said they could have handled it better.

Told him I wanted to cancel the shoe order and he said he would do me a discount if I didn't. Also said he would fit me with some free footbeds? I have no idea what they are. :)

Been told to ride the bike and see how the rotors behave. If I have any issues with them, just take the bike back and they will fit new ones. He said he will personally go through everything with me when I'm next in store.

Can't complain about their response time as he called me just now and I only complained about an hour ago. I'll see how I feel about the shoes over the next few days.
  • Amazing what a bit of retailer bashing can do online to provoke positive action.

For what it's worth though, I got mine thru Rutland also, and rotors were true and bar tape wrapped immaculately!

Sounds like all is on the way to being resolved anyway...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited February 2017
    If the rotors are warped, they would not usually magically 'unwarp' just by using them and, in any event, they should be perfect on a brand new bike. Don't muck around any more - just tell them to fit new ones. On the shoes, see how the promised discounted price compares to the lowest on line price and decide from there. As to footbeds, you might want to do a bit of research but, in very simple terms, they are supposed to help position your foot correctly in the shoe (as orthotics do in ordinary shoes) but the value to you would really depend on what sort they were and, as importantly, whether you personally needed them and how effective they were.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • benws1
    Thanks all.

I've documented my experience here (to stop my terrible derailment of this thread):

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13076332

I'll see how the rotors behave. ;)
  • benws1 wrote:

I've documented my experience here (to stop my terrible derailment of this thread):

Horse, stable door :D
  • Glad to hear that all got worked out, bought mine from the Rutland Water store and couldn't have asked for better, shame that hasn't been the same across the board.

Back to the bike, finally been out for a proper ride on mine and good grief it's quick! Coming from a 13kg cyclocross bike, this has been a revelation. It eats up miles like nobodies business
  • benws1
    Anyone else noticing a bit of resistance on the front wheel when spinning it by hand? Ive tightened the thru axle to 12nm and when doing so, it adds a bit of drag to the wheel.

The wheel spins a lot better until the axle is tightened. I have been told its because the bike is new and I haven't ridden the bearings in yet. Just wondered if anyone has had this and riding has made it better?

The resistance is slight and only really manifests if I spin the wheel. The wheel spins a few times then comes to a stop quicker than the rear.

Thanks.
  • Ok, not one more post from you until you've gone out and actually ridden the goddamned m*#herfu*#ing BIKE!!! :wink:
  • benws1
    Ok, not one more post from you until you've gone out and actually ridden the goddamned m*#herfu*#ing BIKE!!! :wink:

Ok. :)
  • benws1
    Official Cube HPP bottle cages ordered. Due here on Saturday. Bike computer, saddle bag and pump all ready to be attached too. Should finally get out on the thing on Sunday if I have the right spare inner tubes. :)
  • benws1 wrote:
    Should finally get out on the thing on Sunday if I have the right spare inner tubes. :)

So did it happen? Did you get to ride it?
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:
    Should finally get out on the thing on Sunday if I have the right spare inner tubes. :)

So did it happen? Did you get to ride it?

No, unfortunately. Had a surprise family visit which ended up taking my time and only left me with the option of a quick turbo trainer session. However, fitted bottle cages and mini pump last night, new bike computer will be on charge tonight and picking up a new light tomorrow night (Lezyne 1250), so will be out on it after then. Once I have the new light, I won't mind riding it in the dark, so won't be so restricted. I'm getting the new light from Halfords. Will be able to get some spare inner tubes for the saddle bag whilst I'm there.

Due to the weather, I'll probably end up taking it out in the wet. Don't have mudguards for it. Will be interesting. :)
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    How's everyone finding theirs? I haven't changed any parts yet, but I'm starting to think about getting a power meter so I've been looking at various chainsets/cranks lately.

Anyone have a power meter on one of these?
  • I love mine :)

Current plans are to get a shorter stem and a saddle more suited to my backside, but other than that it's great :)