First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

Comments

• Re the down shifting, yes I have! Occasionally the lever just flaps about loosely a few times before it engages again. It's as if there's some kind of slack in the cable somewhere, but I can't find it...

Exactly what mine does - it's like a pendulum and doesn't engage at least half a dozen times out on a ride. I'll take in somewhere and get it checked.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Another convert here. :)

Just paid a deposit on the last size 60 example of these that a shop near me has in stock. The shops cover the Peterborough and Cambridge area and they have hardly any left. Good job I'm 6ft 4. :)

This is the first road bike I have bought since 2004. I've been riding a heavy Raleigh hybrid and because I'm doing more miles, I wanted something better for it. I had the intention of buying something soon, but after seeing the Cube today and realising that they were selling out, I had to commit.

I should be picking it up in a week's time. Need to get some shoes etc sorted out as I haven't ridden a road bike outside for years and years. :)

The salesman assured me my 102 kilo body won't crush the wheels. :)
  • Rolleur65 wrote:
    Re the down shifting, yes I have! Occasionally the lever just flaps about loosely a few times before it engages again. It's as if there's some kind of slack in the cable somewhere, but I can't find it...

Exactly what mine does - it's like a pendulum and doesn't engage at least half a dozen times out on a ride. I'll take in somewhere and get it checked.
    After saying mine was faultless it did this today :D

Just once, I just shifted up instead and that cured it, could then go back down the block fine.

If it does it again I'll get my mechanic friend to have a look at it for me.
  • Thanks, rides nice too. For a stock bike under a grand I reckon it's a bargain
    I've nothing to directly compare it to as it's my first proper road bike, but compared to the various mountain and hybrid bikes I've been on over the years it's a revelation. I'm loving it.

You got any upgrades in mind yet or just going to enjoy it for a while?

The one thing I do need to change is the saddle, it just doesn't match my backside at all :D I'll probably get a lighter carbon seatpost at the same time, may as well start shedding a few grams while I'm at it.

I've had the benefit of loaning a couple of friends/family bikes and it rides a lot nicer than any of those.

Upgrades, nothing immediate other than i might fit a slightly shorter stem (20mm or so) as it feels like im over reaching a tiny bit. The 53cm felt too small, the 56 is perhaps a whisker too long but nothing major.

Oh i might fit one of these also (they don't appear to offer similar for front though)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic78888&awc=2698_1483606648_ea4f8896d25801fd9cc708c25af87168

what size are you . im 5'10 and am getting steered towards a 56 frame
  • benws1
    Thanks, rides nice too. For a stock bike under a grand I reckon it's a bargain
    I've nothing to directly compare it to as it's my first proper road bike, but compared to the various mountain and hybrid bikes I've been on over the years it's a revelation. I'm loving it.

You got any upgrades in mind yet or just going to enjoy it for a while?

The one thing I do need to change is the saddle, it just doesn't match my backside at all :D I'll probably get a lighter carbon seatpost at the same time, may as well start shedding a few grams while I'm at it.

I've had the benefit of loaning a couple of friends/family bikes and it rides a lot nicer than any of those.

Upgrades, nothing immediate other than i might fit a slightly shorter stem (20mm or so) as it feels like im over reaching a tiny bit. The 53cm felt too small, the 56 is perhaps a whisker too long but nothing major.

Oh i might fit one of these also (they don't appear to offer similar for front though)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic78888&awc=2698_1483606648_ea4f8896d25801fd9cc708c25af87168

what size are you . im 5'10 and am getting steered towards a 56 frame

I'm 6ft 4 and have been told I need the 60 frame.
  • benws1
    Does anyone know if the stock tyres are quite puncture proof? Or is it worth swapping them out for something better?

Also, does anyone know the torque settings for things like the seat post clamp and bottle cages for this bike?

Finally, is the stock seat post carbon or aluminium? Thanks.
  • benws1 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the stock tyres are quite puncture proof? Or is it worth swapping them out for something better?

Also, does anyone know the torque settings for things like the seat post clamp and bottle cages for this bike?

I've done 300 miles or so on mine. I've only had 1 puncture but that was a pinch flat from a pothole. I was in company so couldn't swerve it, tried to bunnyhop the hole and back wheel hit it hard and punctured immediately.

Other than that I've had no punctures so far

Seat post clamp is 5 nm, no idea on bottle cage mounts, i just wound them in tight enough, didn't use torque wrench.

Seat post isn't carbon
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:

I've done 300 miles or so on mine. I've only had 1 puncture but that was a pinch flat from a pothole. I was in company so couldn't swerve it, tried to bunnyhop the hole and back wheel hit it hard and punctured immediately.

Other than that I've had no punctures so far

Seat post clamp is 5 nm, no idea on bottle cage mounts, i just wound them in tight enough, didn't use torque wrench.

Seat post isn't carbon

Thanks for the info. :D

Sorry to hear about the puncture. Are you enjoying the bike?

I can't wait to get it this weekend. The shop I've used is about 25 miles away. Could ride it home, but not confident enough yet. Will need to pop the rear seats down in my fiancée's Polo and take the wheels off. :)

If the seat post isn't carbon, do you still need carbon paste to pop it in the frame? I guess that because the frame is carbon, you don't use grease?

I will need to invest in some shoes whilst I'm at the shop. I'm currently using some 14 year old Diadora's with Look cleats that aren't the best. I'll take my old Look pedals for the fitting, but may need to invest in some different ones.
  • Re the stock tyres, I have to say I rate them! For training/ winter, I'm usually a Michelin Pro4 Endurance user, but I thought I'd try a few rides on the Conti's before I swapped them out. The rides I have done on the bike so far have all been very wet, or.....in the case of this Sunday, drying/ greasy. Lots of flints & usual crap from the back lanes. I've not punctured, and I've not felt my wheel slide out one bit- even when pushing it a little too much around some dubious corners.

You shouldn't need paste for the seatpost.
  • I've never even heard of carbon paste. Have adjusted the seat height by half an inch but haven't removed it to do so, not sure if there is anything on it

Yes, I love the bike. I don't have much to compare it to but it seems perfect for me. I was on the cusp between the 53cm and 56cm so i wnet for the bigger option. Have swapped the stem for an 80mm version to reduce the reach a little and feels perfect now.

I bought some cheap shimano shoes at decathlon, less than £40 IIRC and fitted 105 pedals. Seem to work pretty well

First time I've ridden with clipless pedals. I was shitting myself a bit and i have had a couple of silly falls when i couldnt unclip quick enough but thankfully only my pride damaged thus far.

Enjoy the bike. My biggest problem now is that I've got into it at the worst time of year in terms of getting out on the road (or at least getting my mates to come out and ride!)
  • benws1 wrote:
    Will need to... take the wheels off. :)
    Don't forget to take an appropriate allen key then ;):D
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:
    Will need to... take the wheels off. :)
    Don't forget to take an appropriate allen key then ;):D

:)

Will do. Will take my Allen key set with me.
  • benws1
    edited February 2017
    I've never even heard of carbon paste. Have adjusted the seat height by half an inch but haven't removed it to do so, not sure if there is anything on it

Yes, I love the bike. I don't have much to compare it to but it seems perfect for me. I was on the cusp between the 53cm and 56cm so i wnet for the bigger option. Have swapped the stem for an 80mm version to reduce the reach a little and feels perfect now.

I bought some cheap shimano shoes at decathlon, less than £40 IIRC and fitted 105 pedals. Seem to work pretty well

First time I've ridden with clipless pedals. I was ******** myself a bit and i have had a couple of silly falls when i couldnt unclip quick enough but thankfully only my pride damaged thus far.

Enjoy the bike. My biggest problem now is that I've got into it at the worst time of year in terms of getting out on the road (or at least getting my mates to come out and ride!)

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I've been riding a Raleigh hybrid (Misceo 1 - very heavy, fat tyres, suspension forks etc.) since last June. Had a depression-related lay-off between September and December, but been back on the bike since 31st December. I've been out in all weathers and also doing a bit in my garage on a turbo when required. I was going to reward myself in spring if I kept at it and kept losing weight. When I saw the Cube mentioned on here, then noticed one left in my size at the shop, I had to go for it. :)

I haven't ridden a road bike with clipless pedals on the road for years. I have an old Bianchi Ml3 Alu hooked up to the turbo. That has the Look pedals on. I'm going to take my spare set to the bike shop and will test the fitting with them on when I get there.

Initially, I was a but dubious about the bike as I wondered if £1000 was a lot of money. However, since I paid the deposit, I've been really excited about picking it up on Saturday. The spec seems brilliant for the cost.

As said above, I'll need to take both wheels off to get it in the Polo. Will have to be careful with the chain slack and will need to load it into the car with care. Don't want to damage the derailleurs or the brake calipers.

I'm going to spend a bit on some accessories soon and am looking at some insurance. I may splash out and get a Garmin cycle computer as I'm planning on doing some miles on the thing. I've already got a saddle bag and some spare inner tubes from other bikes. May invest in new shoes and some new cleats too.

Hell, I've gone from weighing 17 3/4 stone in June last year to nearly 16 stone now. Feel like a treat. I'm also struggling doing the bigger miles on the hybrid. 27 on Saturday morning.
  • benws1
    Re the stock tyres, I have to say I rate them! For training/ winter, I'm usually a Michelin Pro4 Endurance user, but I thought I'd try a few rides on the Conti's before I swapped them out. The rides I have done on the bike so far have all been very wet, or.....in the case of this Sunday, drying/ greasy. Lots of flints & usual crap from the back lanes. I've not punctured, and I've not felt my wheel slide out one bit- even when pushing it a little too much around some dubious corners.

You shouldn't need paste for the seatpost.

Thanks. :)

I thought I needed carbon paste by default.

I've bought a Ritchey 5nm Torque key to help with the seatpost clamping. I think I need to get some bottle cages too.
  • benws1 wrote:
    As said above, I'll need to take both wheels off to get it in the Polo. Will have to be careful with the chain slack and will need to load it into the car with care. Don't want to damage the derailleurs or the brake calipers.
    Remember to put a spacer into each brake calliper so the pads don't get popped out if the lever gets knocked. Mine was delivered with a set - they're little lumps of orange plastic.
  • Picking one up from Paul's Cycles tomorrow - probably a 56 but will double check the fit when I get there. Forecast for the weekend (which will be first opportunity for a ride) looks a bit parky.......
  • I ordered a 56. Still have a couple of weeks before it arrives.....can't wait.
  • benws1 wrote:
    I think I need to get some bottle cages too.

:D:D:D

cube-hpc-3k-bottle-cage.jpg
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:
    Remember to put a spacer into each brake calliper so the pads don't get popped out if the lever gets knocked. Mine was delivered with a set - they're little lumps of orange plastic.

Thanks

I'll ring the bike shop and ask them to keep the spacers for me.

If the pads do accidentally get stuck together, can you push them back apart with a tool?
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:
    I think I need to get some bottle cages too.

:D:D:D

cube-hpc-3k-bottle-cage.jpg

They look nice. :)
  • I actually bought these ones, couldn't justify £70 for a pair of bottle cages

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-hpp-bottle-cage/rp-prod145214
  • benws1
    I actually bought these ones, couldn't justify £70 for a pair of bottle cages

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-hpp-bottle-cage/rp-prod145214

They look ok. I noticed them when I went searching for the carbon ones you posted above.

I need to be a bit careful as I can see myself going a bit mad with the spending. I'm terrible for spending on myself as I'm the only worker in the house (fiancée at home with daughter). However, once I open the taps (which is very rare), I can tend to go a bit mad. :)

The bike and some new shoes and pedals will be enough. The bottle cages will most probably like you have linked above. :)
  • As great as I think this bike is for the money, I wouldn't waste your money on trick carbon bottle cages. The bike is h e a v y . . . There's no denying it. A set of carbon bottle cages will add (or rather, take away), very very little from the overall weight of the bike and IMO a waste of £££.
  • benws1
    As great as I think this bike is for the money, I wouldn't waste your money on trick carbon bottle cages. The bike is h e a v y . . . There's no denying it. A set of carbon bottle cages will add (or rather, take away), very very little from the overall weight of the bike and IMO a waste of £££.

Yep, I understand that. Hence why I'll go for something cheaper like in the second link.

The bike is heavy, but it'll be a hell of a lot lighter than the hybrid I'm riding at the moment. That thing weighs a lot. :)
  • Picked it up today!

IMG_7942_zpsbmp3xoyw.jpg

I picked up a couple of grey Cube bottle cages for a tenner each while I was there.

IMG_7943_zpsr204uqai.jpg

I'm going to put some protection on it tomorrow as our detailer is in which should make it easier to keep clean.

I weighed it when I got it back out of interest (without pedals on) 9.2kg
  • oxoman wrote:
    Going to look at the SL on Thursday and try for size. What kind of room is there between the tyres and frames.as looking at bigger tyres.

Without mudguards, loads. With mudguards, not loads :D

With guards, I wouldn't run more than 25mm
  • benws1
    Picked my Cube up today. Spent a bit of time checking it out at the shop. When I got home I noticed that I had missed something. The front disc seems a bit warped and is rubbing the brake pad slightly at one point.

Is this normal? Do I need to ride the thing to bed the brakes in? Can I just true the disc to get rid of the issue (by hand with gloves on)?

I guess I could take it back. However, the shop is 25 miles away and I'd like to be able to fix these things by myself.

Thanks.
  • if the disc is warped, take it back. End of.
  • Evening all, figured this was the best thread to make my first post on the forum.

Joined the attain pro club last week but not had chance to get out on the roads yet, hoping to rectify tomorrow.
    IMG_4470_zpsc5ecgtll.jpg

So yes, hello and compliments on your choices of steed :D
  • benws1
    if the disc is warped, take it back. End of.

Will do. Will give them a call tomorrow.