Wiggins crook?

14567810»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,178
    And some people still wonder why Cav left! :roll:
    Yeah, cos Cavendish would never participate in a long running feud with a teammate to the level that they couldn't ride on the same team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    And some people still wonder why Cav left! :roll:
    Yeah, cos Cavendish would never participate in a long running feud with a teammate to the level that they couldn't ride on the same team.

I'm not saying Cav isn't also a massive ego and isn't capable of doing the same thing going on past *shoot small races* behaviour, only that some (not here granted) still question why Sky couldn't have supported his ambitions. Quite simply it is very hard for a team to support that many people who want to be top dog and that in-fighting becomes almost an inevitability when you have that many people with massive talent and equally if not bigger ambition.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Quite simply it is very hard for a team to support that many people who want to be top dog and that in-fighting becomes almost an inevitability when you have that many people with massive talent and equally if not bigger ambition.
    Since he probably lives around the dyke from you, please go and tell Lars Boom not to sign the contract Sky are rumoured to have offered him.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    iainf72 wrote:
    And in the interests of fairness RR, would you like to share what BW is alleged to have said?

Some irony in this request surely!!! :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    knedlicky wrote:
    Quite simply it is very hard for a team to support that many people who want to be top dog and that in-fighting becomes almost an inevitability when you have that many people with massive talent and equally if not bigger ambition.
    Since he probably lives around the dyke from you, please go and tell Lars Boom not to sign the contract Sky are rumoured to have offered him.

Let me just find my step ladders so I can fulfill the necessary Dutch Aunty responsibilities and actually look him in the eyes and tell him to his face. :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,075
    This is being made out fo be a lot more complicated than it is.

Sky, for all their namby pamby BS are pretty unsentimental when it comes to backing the most likely to win.

So far this has been BW.

Now it isn't.

BW, not known as the most balanced in the world ( see post Bejing 6 month p!ss up or whatever it was) doesn't take too well to it, and has a shocker of a Giro due to illness and loses motivation to turn up to the Tour as defending champion, riding for someone else.

That's it.

Maybe he misses a couple of the staff who left too.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Sky, for all their namby pamby BS are pretty unsentimental when it comes to backing the most likely to win.

So far this has been BW.

Now it isn't.

BW, not known as the most balanced in the world ( see post Bejing 6 month p!ss up or whatever it was)* doesn't take too well to it, and has a shocker of a Giro due to illness and loses motivation to turn up to the Tour as defending champion, riding for someone else.

That's it.

*Athens. 2004.
    (pedantic)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    knedlicky wrote:

OT but couldn't resist. Live 105, a US college-rock radio station, used to have a segment called 'Elementary Lessons in Dutch'. I was once woke to:

"<unintelligible Dutch>"
    Translated
    "I took my finger out of the dyke. And she didn't even notice."

[Just on case you feel like reaching for the pitchforks, this was a San Francisco based station and the Dykes on Bikes (Harleys) opened the Pride parade every year.]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703

So far this has been BW.

Now it isn't.

BW, not known as the most balanced in the world ( see post Bejing 6 month p!ss up or whatever it was)* doesn't take too well to it, and has a shocker of a Giro due to illness and loses motivation to turn up to the Tour as defending champion, riding for someone else.

That's it.

*Athens. 2004.
    (pedantic)

Athens 2004
    Beijing 2008
    London 2012

But Rick is right. The only issue Sky have is, if BW is finished (and I am not yet convinced), is how to "move him on". The Tall Poppy stuff is,so far, reserved for the Radaratti, not the great Sky consuming British public.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Well, you cant say Brad's not in tune with the Great Olympic Cycle...

I had this crazy dream in which BW picks up the phone to JV, and says 'look, I know it all ended badly...but I want to go back to just enjoying my bike again, none of this bollocking numbers business...how do you fancy winning the Worlds TTT next year...'

:shock: 8)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Brad loves the numbers, and knows, If you dont hit the numbers you cant do the job. All the pro's use power meters.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    And yet in the Giro IIRC after being dropped on that final climb by Nibali et al, he was saying his numbers were fine and he'd never been in as good condition.
    Course this could all have been BS and self denial.

I maybe could have believed he had injury and health issues leading to lack of training if he'd not made that announcement pre-Giro about wanting to defend the jersey.
    So in reality its a "its him or me" situation. Or rather "I don't care what his contract says, in no way is the current Tour winner going to race for that young upstart - I'm off! Make up some excuse" Maybe with some extra flowery language thrown in.
    Can I upgrade???
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I think the Mail would do better by Headlining the stupid cow that lost her wing mirror as she knocked Wiggo off his bike.
    All Publicity should be made on her as a reason that a major sportsman is below par.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • I agree with the opinion of loss of motivation and his head being far from right...

Remember last year after his Olympic gold when he was saying it will never get better than this, and with his history of highs followed by lows this year makes sense in that respect, he will be set for life now finacially so the downer is completely understandable, hes only human afterall.

I can see something like 1 more year on the road in 2014 with Sky seeing out his contact and then bailing out back to the track with the goal of going out with a bang in Rio, it would certainly be a fitting way to end a great career if he could grab another gold medal or 2.

It was that obvious even i managed to call it back in June :shock:
  • Only in the UK would we suggest the current Tour champion is finished on the road and go and ride the track ! OK I know no other Tour winner has Wiggo's pedigree on the track but the best endurance riders prove it on the road in the big races, that is where reputations and money are made.

Wiggins may not get another contract like his Sky contract but surely he is still worth a good contract as a team leader - if we assume Sky see their future GC riders as Froome, Porte and others. Was he lying about his power numbers pre Giro? I just think he was under raced and his head was in the wrong place but physically you don't lose it that quickly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnvL79B5LN2pjDnseer3Szs3cyX13iFGsvVm5JzaxFrQy3Sayb
  • I can see something like 1 more year on the road in 2014 with Sky seeing out his contact and then bailing out back to the track with the goal of going out with a bang in Rio, it would certainly be a fitting way to end a great career if he could grab another gold medal or 2.
    Not a chance IMO, given no individual pursuit in the programme. Wont be happy with just the Team Pursuit and can't see him doing the Omnium.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBaCgWRp95XldO6MyJsK0nHo0XoNNlPwstcReRbiptus5yUXTwaQ
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,178
    I can see something like 1 more year on the road in 2014 with Sky seeing out his contact and then bailing out back to the track with the goal of going out with a bang in Rio, it would certainly be a fitting way to end a great career if he could grab another gold medal or 2.
    Not a chance IMO, given no individual pursuit in the programme. Wont be happy with just the Team Pursuit and can't see him doing the Omnium.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBaCgWRp95XldO6MyJsK0nHo0XoNNlPwstcReRbiptus5yUXTwaQ
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

If you feel the need to brag about being right about something two months ago, it just emphasises how frequently you must be wrong.
    Twitter: @RichN95