Wiggins crook?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Not sure that tells us anything new.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins basically wrote this year off though. His career is littered with amazing achievements followed by indifference and underperformance.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I said in the Tour thread that I have doubts how fit and in racing form he'd be by the Tour given his lovely combo of chest infection, knee problems etc. Chest infection alone can knock back a rider for weeks rather than days especially at this level.

Of course Wiggins could be breathing his last and some will choose to think its cos he's out on the lash or whatever.

That article by Moore is very strange. Wonder if there's a stitch up going on.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    lol, what an awful article. im surprised the people at the mail worked out how to create a website.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Not particularly surprising, think this season might be a write off for wiggins now tbh.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    lol, what an awful article. im surprised the people at the mail worked out how to create a website.

I'm amazed they avoided the temptation to blame Wiggins' woes on immigrants
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Crozza wrote:

I'm amazed they avoided the temptation to blame Wiggins' woes on immigrants

I'm reliably informed by people who know nothing about biochemistry and/or medical science that the MMR is to blame.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    +1
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    You all noticed who the author was, right?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Does read a bit like a stitch up. Thought for a while we wont be seeing Wiggo at the Tour - they don't really need him there and you get the impression now they don't really want him. Big shame as Froome-wiggins would be a great sub plot.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    With Wiggo out of the picture it will allow Sky to concentrate on Froome taking the GC, that's alright by me :D
  • ginsterdrz
    ginsterdrz Posts: 128
    "Brad hasn't done enough racing this year. Training in Tenerife isn't racing". Anon source.

IMHO he should go for the Vuelta and withdraw from the Tour before Sky do it for him on the basis tha he won't tow the party line and he's not Sky's future at 33.

Exit to another team likely????
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:

Seeing the estimable Mr Moore's byline in an idiot's instruction manual was indeed a disappointment. But the revelation that Sky are once again denying the 'cycling community' an epic spectacle, albeit this time by withdrawing the medications, was devastating.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    With Wiggo out of the picture it will allow Sky to concentrate on Froome taking the GC, that's alright by me :D

Ahem. There's the not-insignificant matter of rival contenders including Bertie and the rest of the Spanish Armada.

There's no givens with this year's Tour.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just not sure where the exclusive part comes from, even from what I know I could have written that piece & it would be anything new.

Guess it must be a slow news week for the mail!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Seeing the estimable Mr Moore's byline in an idiot's instruction manual was indeed a disappointment. But the revelation that Sky are once again denying the 'cycling community' an epic spectacle, albeit this time by withdrawing the medications, was devastating.

A guy's got to make a living, but the Daily Fail, Mr Moore...

*shakes head*
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Good point. Who is the editor? Or else, shame on him for debasing himself.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:

What's your problem with the article? Once you filter for the excruciating tabloid style-guide, Moore's reporting that a source in Sky is questioning the defending champ's willingness to act as a lieutenant not just for Froome, but also for 'new number two' Porte. Not a bombshell but rare info from the camp.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Whether he's there or not, people will still talk about him.

I still reckon he'll be at the Tour.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

What's your problem with the article? Once you filter for the excruciating tabloid style-guide, Moore's reporting that a source in Sky is questioning the defending champ's willingness to act as a lieutenant not just for Froome, but also for 'new number two' Porte. Not a bombshell but rare info from the camp.

That Porte thing is completely left-field. I wonder whether the 'source' is a gobby SA-Welsh female very close to Fenton
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Now in the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ma ... nee-injury

Not sure if that includes any more info as I refuse to click the daily fail link out of principle.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That Porte thing is completely left-field. I wonder whether the 'source' is a gobby SA-Welsh female very close to Fenton

FWIW she was 'running' his press day in Monaco a couple of days ago
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think that getting himself right for the vuelta is the best plan - I think that Porte would be miffed at not getting a crack at it but (assuming Porte's primary support/backup rider for the tour) Froome last year has shown that you can't go full gas in 2 major tours in a year, too many good riders training and peaking for one

having porte as the deputy makes sense, it's what they did at Romandie and it worked
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • frenchfighter
    I don`t think he would be able to do much at the Vuelta. There are more mountain stages then I have ever seen in a GT before.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Another team is possible for 2014. After all if Froome wins the tour this year (which is a big if I grant you) then Sky isn't going to go back to supporting Wiggo in 2014, and I'm sure he'll want to do that Tour starting in the UK. So he'll want to join a team which will have him as No.1
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I don`t think he would be able to do much at the Vuelta. There are more mountain stages then I have ever seen in a GT before.

Absolutely, if he doesn't do the Tour then the Worlds TT has to become his focus.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    If Wiggins misses the Tour due to ill health then I don't see how he can justifiably blame the team and doubt he would. Sure it removes the possibility of what could potentially be a difficult situation in the Froome-Wiggins battle for leadership but let's not all go *full conspiracy-theory* yet. The guardian article is a little more realistic, suggesting that in the absence of Wiggins, Porte would become Froome's 'back-up'.
    If Wiggins does not start the Tour, Sky's back-up leader could be the Australian Ritchie Porte, who won the Paris-Nice stage race in March.
    It is not saying that Porte is the now default number two rider. Big difference.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Porte is Froome's neighbour in Monaco, best mate and training partner. Plan "P" (and Hinault's prediction for a dark horse winner).

Once Wiggins got ill and rode it into a bronchial infection his Tour was virtually gone. His rubbish descending may have been in part a physical expression of him giving up mentally, the TT performance him seeking refuge in something he knows he can do well on his own. Porte and Froome are close, Sutton doubts Wiggins – his fragility and inability to forget the past and simply work for Froome, the passive-aggressive aspect of Wiggins personality that will make him say "sod it" and go home. Wiggins has become isolated.
  • Macaloon
    r0bh wrote:
    Now in the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ma ... nee-injury

Not sure if that includes any more info as I refuse to click the daily fail link out of principle.

I clicked through from Twitter last night and felt grubby. People need to use the DM klaxon. I'm expecting to see a batch of unsavoury adsense nonsense now. Fothers has more detail on the knee injury, quotes from Brailsford, and nowt on Porte-Gate :D

For the record, given Wiggins' heroics last year he's completely entitled to have an off-season the rest of his career. I'm just sad that it's removing a Titanic drama from the Tour.
  • frenchfighter
    Unless Wiggins can hardly move his legs he will be at the Tour.

tumblr_mmol5jHw9G1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mnbk9rPj4P1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest