Wiggins crook?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    I was waiting for RR to post it as she "found" it, but this explains things very well - http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... otivation/

Not to sound too big headed but I ve wondered before if there was really the motivation this year after such a Heavyweight 2012.

Agree with the first bit, but really don't think he is heading for retirement yet. World's TT must now be his main target for this year. Next year - who knows?. I don't think he is finished yet.
    He's not finished unless he wants to be. Rio must be very tempting for him.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I'm very sad for Wiggins but I can't help but feel that some people are a little disappointed that the expectation they had for a good old Froome v Wiggins leadership struggle and internal Sky strife at the Tour is not going to happen and so they are channeling this expectation into making this story into something which it is not.

No prob. It'll morph into speculation of a Froome v Porte leadership struggle drama.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I'm very sad for Wiggins but I can't help but feel that some people are a little disappointed that the expectation they had for a good old Froome v Wiggins leadership struggle and internal Sky strife at the Tour is not going to happen and so they are channeling this expectation into making this story into something which it is not.

No prob. It'll morph into speculation of a Froome v Porte leadership struggle drama.

True.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    Dan Wuori ‏@dwuori 4m
    Not only that, but Team Sky's Christian Knees has injured his Wiggins.

Retweeted by Neal Rogers

Take a bow son, take a bow.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Can someone change the thread to "Wiggins a Crock" Not Crook.
    I am sure that's what the OP meant.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Funny stuff

Excellent
    :D:D:D:D

Glad you liked it. I was hoping for more of a reaction, if I'm honest, but 100% approval isn't bad :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    dandrew wrote:
    Crook is Aussie slang for ill. I presume the OP is a devotee of Neighbours and Home & Away.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    dandrew wrote:
    Crook is Aussie slang for ill. I presume the OP is a devotee of Neighbours and Home & Away.

Nah, can't be right. We all know Iain was more a 'family affairs' man.
  • Ginsterdrz wrote:
    "Brad hasn't done enough racing this year. Training in Tenerife isn't racing". Anon source.

IMHO he should go for the Vuelta and withdraw from the Tour before Sky do it for him on the basis tha he won't tow the party line and he's not Sky's future at 33.

Exit to another team likely????

He'd raced more days than Uran prior to the Giro and Rigo did well there, I think it's far more likely he's overtrained than under raced. With the exception of the chest infection this could help explain all his Giro woes and the slow recovery.
    Stage 1 overtraining may be synonymous with overreaching, which has been shown in studies to boost performance but often turns into more obvious overtraining—it’s a fine line between optimal preparedness and the beginning of athletic decline.

Adrenal gland dysfunction (as part of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis), very common in overtraining, usually begins in Stage 1. In addition, it typically parallels the start of aerobic deficiency. As this stage progresses, athletes may begin to develop fatigue, sleeping irregularities and abnormal hunger or cravings for sweets. They may be unable to lose that extra body fat, get sleepy after meals, and have an uncanny craving for caffeine.

Nutritional problems may include excess consumption of refined carbohydrates at the expense of healthy fats and protein. Common problems in the first stage of overtraining include:

• Back, knee, ankle, and foot injuries.
    • Hormone imbalance includes elevations of cortisol with secondary lowering of testosterone and DHEA levels.
    Mental and emotional stress, including mild or clinical depression and anxiety is not uncommon.

The link here http://www.philmaffetone.com/theovertrainingsyndrome.cfm includes some other interesting info including the relationship of inflammation type injuries to overtraining.

I have highlighted the areas that I believe specifically (from various interviews) seem to have affected his Giro even before he became ill with the chest infection. His reporting of his best power ever may also have been a symptom of this. To be honest I was worried that this might be the case as soon as his Mallorca work load was reported from January onwards, and particularly when it was revealed he chose to miss the second Tenerife camp and continue training himself.

I don't see him leaving Sky before Rio given the choice, but then I also see little or no actual evidence of him not toeing the party line given the fact that he has always said he will ride the way the team tell him to. Oman certainly showed he doesn't think it beneath his dignity to do the early work, most of it before the cameras were there except on key stages. I am concerned that someone in Sky now apparently thinks this may not be the case according to the Richard Moore article and that this may affect his future race program.

The point is moot now given his non selection for the Tour, but I certainly hope he can repair his health for later in the season and an attempt on the Vuelta/Worlds. He may not be Sky's future, but if DB is serious about winning all 3 GT's in one season in the next few years he still needs multiple leaders. If Uran is on the way out as rumoured Wiggins is still a factor to be considered.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    RichN95 wrote:
    dandrew wrote:

Safa innit.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The Worlds ITT?
    2010 re-visited.
    Down to Earth with a bang, after last year boldly going, where no Englishman had gone before.
    Hard to recapture the hunger after such a feast of success.

^ This

What motivates you to get out of bed after a year like last year? 2013 must feel like the mother of all hangovers following on from the party of the century. Wiggo has a history of having his head fall off and having to get it sellotaped back on. Psyching yourself up for the deprivation d suffering of a Grand Tour in cr@p weather must be difficult when you are the British equivalent of the first man on the moon.

I think targeting the Worlds ITT would be a brilliant idea for him. No leadership issues or team conflict just Wiggo doing what he does best.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    The World TT is a great goal, and also if Sky are going to stand a good chance in the TTT he'll be crucial.

For racing beforehand how about instead of the Vuelta (cos if anyone truly thinks he's suited to this years course I'd love to hear it), how about the USA Pro Challenge in Aug? It always has a TT which can prove decisive. Dombrowski and Boswell will go, assuming fitness. Then the inevitable ToB before the Worlds.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Must say that Wiggins has been waiting for a Tour which suited him and that Tour was last year. This year is different and I think Wiggo was never likely to win this last Giro with the tricky classic style stages which demanded a more punchy rider.

Also, I can't remember a Tour Winner working for another rider in the following year. Hinault never did Lemond any favours, Delgado didn't do many turns for Indurain, Riis rode his own race in 98. So not sure why Sky thought Wiggins would work for Froomey?? :?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    dandrew wrote:

It was more a subtle nod to Wiggins lineage :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    That Porte thing is completely left-field. I wonder whether the 'source' is a gobby, dirty, filthy, hot, dirty, filthy SA-Welsh female very close to Fenton

Apologies for the 'thinking with my penis' correction RR! :wink:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited June 2013
    SecretSam wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Funny stuff

Excellent
    :D:D:D:D

Glad you liked it. I was hoping for more of a reaction, if I'm honest, but 100% approval isn't bad :lol:

It was superb. We just didn't want you to lose your mojo after one magnificent contribution. On a slower news day you'd have been borne aloft off the field by wannabee domestiques.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    That Porte thing is completely left-field. I wonder whether the 'source' is a gobby, dirty, filthy, hot, dirty, filthy SA-Welsh female very close to Fenton

Apologies for the 'thinking with my penis' correction RR! :wink:

You are an unashamadly BAD MAN
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

I really am :(

In related news, nothing on MCs Twitter - had half expected her to be crowing from the trees.
  • Richmond Racer

I really am :(

In related news, nothing on MCs Twitter - had half expected her to be crowing from the trees.

I understand that right now she's a bit busy instructing Sky on the heated car seat she wants in the Sky jag when she replaces one of the DS's on the Tour
  • The Worlds ITT?
    2010 re-visited.
    Down to Earth with a bang, after last year boldly going, where no Englishman had gone before.
    Hard to recapture the hunger after such a feast of success.

^ This

What motivates you to get out of bed after a year like last year? 2013 must feel like the mother of all hangovers following on from the party of the century. Wiggo has a history of having his head fall off and having to get it sellotaped back on. Psyching yourself up for the deprivation d suffering of a Grand Tour in cr@p weather must be difficult when you are the British equivalent of the first man on the moon.

I think targeting the Worlds ITT would be a brilliant idea for him. No leadership issues or team conflict just Wiggo doing what he does best.

I agree, i think the whole season has been more about motivation for Wiggins more than anything, especially after last year where he had great success. I wasnt convinced he was that up for the Giro either. He pretty much confirmed it himself before the Giro that he needed new goals and motivation.
    I think in an odd way a crap season this year will have him mentally gunning for it again next year, what with the Tour starting in the UK.
    And if Froome wins the tour this year, imagine the sparks between them next year at the tour, Wiggins back to health desperate to win and Froome the defending champion. 2014 will be the muvva of all wars, mark my words.

FFFIIIGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTTT!!!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    A real shame we wont see wiggins this year. I think he's been treated kinda shabbily by brailsford. Can you imagine a 1st tour winner in a young Hinault, and cyrille guimard saying ....hey bernard there's this young blonde american and we want him for the tour. The defending tour champion should ALWAYS be the team leader for the upcoming TDF to defend his title.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mmnhwvceke1s43lueo1_500.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I understand that right now she's a bit busy instructing Sky on the heated car seat she wants in the Sky jag when she replaces one of the DS's on the Tour

She's not expecting the weather to improve by July then either. :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Also, I can't remember a Tour Winner working for another rider in the following year. Hinault never did Lemond any favours, Delgado didn't do many turns for Indurain, Riis rode his own race in 98. So not sure why Sky thought Wiggins would work for Froomey?? :?
    Would have been a lot easier to deal with the fandom's post-2012 expectations if he'd ring-fenced his recent achievements and gone to work for Froome. No pressure, it's Froome's job to win it. But how to do that and retain valuable currency as a celebrity-status sportsman (shades of brilliantly managed career trajectory of Beckham here) when heading towards retirement.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think a wiff of a change of Team or a quiet exit from Cycling for Wiggins. There's been loads of one time winners who's careers nosedive afterwards.

Also, the previous Tour Champ doesn't really do Dometique work. Personally I would think it would be degrading. I can only think of Fignon working for Bugno at Gatorade and that was near his retirement. Maybe the forgotten Oscar Periero done domestique duties?? It's not good to see though. :?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Macaloon
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Would have been a lot easier to deal with the fandom's post-2012 expectations if he'd ring-fenced his recent achievements and gone to work for Froome. No pressure, it's Froome's job to win it. But how to do that and retain valuable currency as a celebrity-status sportsman (shades of brilliantly managed career trajectory of Beckham here) when heading towards retirement.

There would have been no 'shame' riding as a credible plan B. If such a thing existed without the understanding that should the occasion arise he would sacrifice his chances, and chase on Foome's behalf. So I don't think that was a realistic option and can see why a super-domestique position wouldn't appeal, on ego-grounds never mind the real commercial considerations.
  • Richmond Racer
    The inference from Richard Moore's scoop is that Wiggins was told he wouldn't even be a Plan B, but a Plan C after Porte as well as Froome. Come on, who wouldn't say screw that for a game of soldiers. As 3rd in the pecking order during the race, likely not even a protected rider (how can a team realistically truly protect 3 guys throughout a 3 week race?)...having to chase before Porte...

Sorry but I'm not sure how many maillot Jaune holders would say "ok then, Big Uncle Dave"
  • Macaloon
    The inference from Richard Moore's scoop is that Wiggins was told he wouldn't even be a Plan B, but a Plan C after Porte as well as Froome. Come on, who wouldn't say screw that for a game of soldiers. As 3rd in the pecking order during the race, likely not even a protected rider (how can a team realistically truly protect 3 guys throughout a 3 week race?)...having to chase before Porte...

Sorry but I'm not sure how many maillot Jaune holders would say "ok then, Big Uncle Dave"

If he was able to deliver "the best numbers ever" why wouldn't Sky take him and manage the mess on the road? He's obviously not at that level. Much better to avoid tarnishing the legend by not riding.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm getting the impression that Wiggins is becoming a bum. At least according to posters on this thread.
    It's as if, well, he's not going to win it twice so he's done for. AMAZING thinking. Lots of people win the TDF ONCE.
    When did winning it once become a bad thing? You guys wait almost a century to get an English/ British / whatever the proper term is, winner and now he's being torn down. Strange. :roll:
  • Macaloon
    BLrtC0oCEAEHKlt.jpg:large

:shock: