Wiggins crook?

Comments

• Been confirmed by Dave Brailsford, Wiggins is out of the tour, blaming his cleats for the knee problem. :shock:

Come on, thats got to be a pjss poor excuse for a poor season surely. :roll:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Been confirmed by Dave Brailsford, Wiggins is out of the tour, blaming his cleats for the knee problem. :shock:

Come on, thats got to be a pjss poor excuse for a poor season surely. :roll:
    It's p

I'd say May (OK June tomorrow) is a bit early to write his whole season off.

It's possible there's a decent Vuelta and Worlds TT left in him if his knee recovers soon-ish.
  • Have you seen Wiggins ride the Vuelta?

What does David Millar think?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Have you seen Wiggins ride the Vuelta?

What does David Millar think?

Yes, and Wiggins made the podium.

What's Millar got to do with it?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    He uses speedplay doenst he - they're meant to be best for knee problems - unless his problem was he couldnt get his leg high enough to knee froome in the balls :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Injured man recovering from chest infection cant put the training in to take on one of the most demanding events in world sport. I am shocked. There must be more to this than meets the eye. :roll:

Froome with "1" on his back on the start line then?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Haven't read all the thread.... I might not as I can guess what some of it will be.

It's a shame Wiggins won't be at the Tour. In any sporting event you want to see all the best athletes in form and able to compete.

As you were.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Yellow jersey holder can't compete due to injury.

Sad day.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    +1 TWH, all that needs to be said
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • oneof1982 wrote:

Sad day.

Is he injured or not been able to train with any intensity?

A few months in Tenerife should sort him out.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    One other thought.....It seems to be a cardinal rule of sport that as soon as you start talking about doubles, trebles, unbeaten runs and the like everything goes tits up very quickly.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    oneof1982 wrote:

Sad day.

It is. But not as sad as it would be to see him have a complete shocker like he did in the Giro.

I'm sure given that he's the defending champion that it wasn't a quick and straightforward decision (even for the not normally sentimental Sir Dave).
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    One other thought.....It seems to be a cardinal rule of sport that as soon as you start talking about doubles, trebles, unbeaten runs and the like everything goes tits up very quickly.

Yes. Best to obliterate from athletes' vocab
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549

Or other team's problems, a la Villa Boas on Arsenal's "spiral of decline". Which amounted to 8 wins and 2 draws.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I'm really struggling to see the big conspiracy, shunning of Wiggins, loss of support from Brailsford et.al in all this.

I don't see what is at all odd in this statement:
    "With illness, injury and treatment Brad has gone past the point where he can be ready for the Tour. It's a big loss but, given these circumstances, we won't consider him for selection. He hasn't been able to train hard since the Giro and now he needs further rest. Whilst we all know these things happen in sport, it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a huge disappointment for everyone in the team – and above all for Brad. It's incredibly sad to have the reigning champion at Team Sky but not lining up at the Tour. But he's a champion, a formidable athlete and will come back winning as he has before."

He's not being selected because he has an injury that removes him from being considered for selection a bit like I am not being considered for selection because I've got a gender and an overall inability that removes me from being eligible for selection. It's not a spurning it's just how things are. Why would you consider someone for selection who you can't possibly select? Additionally with the rest of the team maybe still a little up in the air, Sky are having to manage all their rider's expectations not just Wiggins'. While it is obvious that you would expect the defending champion to make the squad, Sky have always said they select on numbers, so they are not going to necessarily make a statement that suggests there are some 'protected' chosen riders in Sky that would be going no matter what while others would have to fight for a place. That might be the reality but it is not going to get articulated publicly as it makes managing the team as a whole very difficult.

I'm very sad for Wiggins but I can't help but feel that some people are a little disappointed that the expectation they had for a good old Froome v Wiggins leadership struggle and internal Sky strife at the Tour is not going to happen and so they are channeling this expectation into making this story into something which it is not.

Oh dear, I'm feeling an attack of the Michael Winners coming on which is never good. :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    OK I'll grant you that I'm an American and an idiot but I'm not following the title.
    Re: Wiggins crook? Does "crook" mean something I'm not familiar with? Or did I just plain miss something in the article? :?
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    dennisn wrote:
    OK I'll grant you that I'm an American and an idiot but I'm not following the title.
    Re: Wiggins crook? Does "crook" mean something I'm not familiar with? Or did I just plain miss something in the article? :?

Bank robbery reference p.2.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    The Worlds ITT?
    2010 re-visited.
    Down to Earth with a bang, after last year boldly going, where no Englishman had gone before.
    Hard to recapture the hunger after such a feast of success.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    I'm really struggling to see the big conspiracy, shunning of Wiggins, loss of support from Brailsford et.al in all this.

I don't see what is at all odd in this statement:
    "With illness, injury and treatment Brad has gone past the point where he can be ready for the Tour. It's a big loss but, given these circumstances, we won't consider him for selection. He hasn't been able to train hard since the Giro and now he needs further rest. Whilst we all know these things happen in sport, it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a huge disappointment for everyone in the team – and above all for Brad. It's incredibly sad to have the reigning champion at Team Sky but not lining up at the Tour. But he's a champion, a formidable athlete and will come back winning as he has before."

He's not being selected because he has an injury that removes him from being considered for selection a bit like I am not being considered for selection because I've got a gender and an overall inability that removes me from being eligible for selection. It's not a spurning it's just how things are. Why would you consider someone for selection who you can't possibly select? Additionally with the rest of the team maybe still a little up in the air, Sky are having to manage all their rider's expectations not just Wiggins'. While it is obvious that you would expect the defending champion to make the squad, Sky have always said they select on numbers, so they are not going to necessarily make a statement that suggests there are some 'protected' chosen riders in Sky that would be going no matter what while others would have to fight for a place. That might be the reality but it is not going to get articulated publicly as it makes managing the team as a whole very difficult.

I'm very sad for Wiggins but I can't help but feel that some people are a little disappointed that the expectation they had for a good old Froome v Wiggins leadership struggle and internal Sky strife at the Tour is not going to happen and so they are channeling this expectation into making this story into something which it is not.

Oh dear, I'm feeling an attack of the Michael Winners coming on which is never good. :wink:

You re 100% correct (as usual), but that does nt make for much fun does it! ;)

On the other hand, I did nt have to google anything in this reply so I'm feeling very smug and intelligent!! :P
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    oneof1982 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Bank robbery reference p.2.

Couldn't get that little "more..." thing to work. Thanx anyway.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Picture the scene:

Sky's antiseptically-clean HQ. Sir Dave Brailsford is sat in his hermetically sealed office, which is entirely spotlessly white on all surfaces. There is no window. He is reading a report on an I-Pad, wearing latex gloves.

There is a knock at the door. Enter Sir Bradley Wiggins.

Brad: "Hi Dave, you wanted to see me?"

Dave: "Yes, Brad, sit down." He removes a glove and shakes Wiggins' hand. "How's the chest?"

Brad: "It's tip top, boss, I sang the whole of Paul Weller's greatest hits last night (including the Jam but excluding the Style Council), note perfect. All good"

Dave: "Excellent. Well, I have some news. We've decided that in our mission to conquer the world in stylish black uniforms..." Dave pauses to ponder who else tried to conquer the world in black uniforms "...anyways, we've decided that in the Tour de France you'll be riding in support of young Froomester, who's more likely to beat that little Spanish bull's testicle-muncher Contador"

Brad: "You've got to be kidding me"

Dave: "You know that I had my sense of humour surgically removed when I took over Sky. I'm not kidding. You'll give Froomely a leg-up in the Tour, carry his bidons, shake his knob when he's pee'd, that sort of thing. Like he did for you last year..."

Brad: (producing hastily scribbled note) "Well, I'm not going to do it. I've got a note from my wife, my doctor and my Mum says that I've got a bad knee and won't be riding. So there. And you can't make me."

Brad slams the note on Dave's desk and flounces out.

Dave picks up the note, reads it, drops it in the bin, sanitises his hands using alcohol rub and puts on his gloves again and continues working.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I don't know what Wiggins crook ? means either dennisn , I always thought it was crocked
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    On the other hand, I did nt have to google anything in this reply so I'm feeling very smug and intelligent!! :P

It's Friday, I'm easing you into the weekend. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/crook

Adjective is the one you want.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/crook

Adjective is the one you want.

It all becomes clearer now.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    SecretSam wrote:
    Funny stuff

Excellent
    :D:D:D:D
  • Mad_Malx
    Wiggns Crook?
    I looked at the thread in the expectation that Bradly had been caught stealing pick'n'mix from Woolies.

Note for overseas readers - stealing pick'n'mix (confectionery) from Woolworths' was pretty much compulsory for children between 1965 until it closed a couple of years ago.
  • I guess it will mean a downturn in nodder sales of Rapha gear
  • ddraver
    I was waiting for RR to post it as she "found" it, but this explains things very well - http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... otivation/

Not to sound too big headed but I ve wondered before if there was really the motivation this year after such a Heavyweight 2012.
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    ddraver wrote:
    I was waiting for RR to post it as she "found" it, but this explains things very well - http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... otivation/

Not to sound too big headed but I ve wondered before if there was really the motivation this year after such a Heavyweight 2012.

Agree with the first bit, but really don't think he is heading for retirement yet. World's TT must now be his main target for this year. Next year - who knows?. I don't think he is finished yet.