• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    :lol:
    Good one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Macaloon wrote:

If he was able to deliver "the best numbers ever" why wouldn't Sky take him and manage the mess on the road? He's obviously not at that level. Much better to avoid tarnishing the legend by not riding.

That was one of the biggest loads of horse poop ever.

I bet Sky knew fine and well before the Giro he wasn't in the kind of shape that could deliver a victory.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm getting the impression that Wiggins is becoming a bum. At least according to posters on this thread.
    It's as if, well, he's not going to win it twice so he's done for. AMAZING thinking. Lots of people win the TDF ONCE.
    When did winning it once become a bad thing? You guys wait almost a century to get an English/ British / whatever the proper term is, winner and now he's being torn down. Strange. :roll:

Dennis, in Britain we have tall poppy syndrome. Basically when a Brit's successful, it's a favourite habit to take them down. Not one of our most endearing traits, it has to be said.
  • iainf72

Dennis, in Britain we have tall poppy syndrome. Basically when a Brit's successful, it's a favourite habit to take them down. Not one of our most endearing traits, it has to be said.

It's also deployed a lot when people don't want to hear something that differs from their reality :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

If he was able to deliver "the best numbers ever" why wouldn't Sky take him and manage the mess on the road? He's obviously not at that level. Much better to avoid tarnishing the legend by not riding.

I bet Sky knew fine and well before the Giro he wasn't in the kind of shape that could deliver a victory.

More PR BS. What a surprise.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Think that's right, and it's a weird one. Hard to see what Kerrison gains, other than job security(?), by making 'mistakes' about numbers in public. Were they just hoping he could ride into Giro form, or protecting his reputation (albeit by setting impossible expectations)?

As for Dennis, it's quite possible to celebrate Wiggins as a national sporting legend, while looking at who's in the best shape in his team to win the races over the next few weeks.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    :lol:
    Good one.
    Glad you liked it. I've kept a copy in case the boys need any extra support this Summer.
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

It's also deployed a lot when people don't want to hear something that differs from their reality :wink:

But it is still a syndrome nonetheless

And if I hear/ read one more interview/article about 'the numbers' I may very well resort to physical violence
  • Richmond Racer
    And I've just seen that Macaloon's gone all Froome-cat with his avatar. Laying his cards on the table ahead of the Dolphin.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm getting the impression that Wiggins is becoming a bum. At least according to posters on this thread.
    It's as if, well, he's not going to win it twice so he's done for. AMAZING thinking. Lots of people win the TDF ONCE.
    When did winning it once become a bad thing? You guys wait almost a century to get an English/ British / whatever the proper term is, winner and now he's being torn down. Strange. :roll:

You guys need to work on that. :wink:
  • Macaloon
    Avi: Inspired by the sudden outbreak of mano-a-mano talk. I think this angle captures those fabulous eyelashes and ...

Britain's tall poppy syndrome arises because we create so many tall poppies; setting ever more unrealistic expectations. It's healthier than idol-worship. Sir Bradley Wiggins is not a tall poppy. Anyone who doesn't respect his career needs help.
  • iainf72
    Macaloon wrote:
    Britain's tall poppy syndrome arises because we create so many tall poppies; setting ever more unrealistic expectations. It's healthier than idol-worship. Sir Bradley Wiggins is not a tall poppy. Anyone who doesn't respect his career needs help.

The problem is it's deployed when you just don't like someone.

I didn't like Wiggins when he was crap. Don't like him now he's good.
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Iain, you're certainly not guilty of this syndrom - firstly you're consistent in your dislike and secondly cos you dislike most people

Shall I... Oh go on then... :P
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Like him or not, perhaps he is not going to the Tour because he was ill and injured, and now he is still injured.

Perhaps his numbers/fitness, as he said, were great for the Giro, but he got ill and injured. Ever thought of that?

Oh hang on........thats what Mr Brailsford told the press, so it cant be right.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I understand that right now she's a bit busy instructing Sky on the heated car seat she wants in the Sky jag when she replaces one of the DS's on the Tour

One eye on the future! You have to admire her ;)
  • TMR
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    A real shame we wont see wiggins this year. I think he's been treated kinda shabbily by brailsford. Can you imagine a 1st tour winner in a young Hinault, and cyrille guimard saying ....hey bernard there's this young blonde american and we want him for the tour. The defending tour champion should ALWAYS be the team leader for the upcoming TDF to defend his title.

Unless explicit promises are made to do otherwise. A real man stands by his word or he is no man IMHO. He promised to assist Froome's attempt and that's what he should have done.
  • iainf72
    What's the syndrome called when someone is disliked because their partner is a bit of a looker?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    What's the syndrome called when someone is disliked because their partner is a bit of a looker?

I think that's called jealousy. :?
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

Buble-itis. Use Google, you'll see what I mean.
  • Richmond Racer
    Not biting, Iain

I love EVERYBODY
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    I agree with the opinion of loss of motivation and his head being far from right...

Remember last year after his Olympic gold when he was saying it will never get better than this, and with his history of highs followed by lows this year makes sense in that respect, he will be set for life now finacially so the downer is completely understandable, hes only human afterall.

I can see something like 1 more year on the road in 2014 with Sky seeing out his contact and then bailing out back to the track with the goal of going out with a bang in Rio, it would certainly be a fitting way to end a great career if he could grab another gold medal or 2.
  • I can see something like 1 more year on the road in 2014 with Sky seeing out his contact and then bailing out back to the track with the goal of going out with a bang in Rio, it would certainly be a fitting way to end a great career if he could grab another gold medal or 2.
    Not a chance IMO, given no individual pursuit in the programme. Wont be happy with just the Team Pursuit and can't see him doing the Omnium.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    dennisn wrote:

Agree with this. Are the Belgians currently saying similar things about Boonen for not following up 2012 with the same again? Don't think a lean year following an unbelievable year is anything new is it?
  • TMR
    smithy21 wrote:
    Agree with this. Are the Belgians currently saying similar things about Boonen for not following up 2012 with the same again? Don't think a lean year following an unbelievable year is anything new is it?

No, it happened to Gilbert recently.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    So...will Froomey be wearing Yellow on the first day of the Tour as the highest place finisher from last year's Tour? Also, he'll be wearing No.1 on his Jersey too. Nice for him. I think, in July, Wiggo will be in the Pub biggin himself up saying to the Barmaid "fookin, Froomey stealing the shirt off me back! Who the fook does he think he is; I'm SIR Bradley Wiggins don't you know. WHERE'S ME PINT??!!" before collapsing in Dell Trotter style. ;-)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Macaloon
    jerry3571 wrote:
    So...will Froomey be wearing Yellow on the first day of the Tour as the highest place finisher from last year's Tour? Also, he'll be wearing No.1 on his Jersey too. Nice for him. I think, in July, Wiggo will be in the Pub biggin himself up saying to the Barmaid "fookin, Froomey stealing the shirt off me back! Who the fook does he think he is; I'm SIR Bradley Wiggins don't you know. WHERE'S ME PINT??!!" before collapsing in Dell Trotter style. ;-)

Look on the bright side. Wiggo can get back to cultivating his social media profile.
  • TMR
    Macaloon wrote:
    Look on the bright side. Wiggo can get back to cultivating his social media profile.

Why does he need to? Social media isn't for everyone.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I was reading my dad's Sunday Express mag (I know, I know, I was helping him with the crossword, honest!) and there was an interview with Zara Phillips and she was saying that after last summer everything seems a bit flat now and it is difficult to get motivated again.
    The BW news warranted 2 pages in today's Telegraph sport.
    Perhaps BW should have quoted S Redgrave and asked someone to shoot him if he went anywhere near a bike!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    iainf72 wrote:

I must be mellowing. I find myself continually agreeing with iain. :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I was reading my dad's Sunday Express mag (I know, I know, I was helping him with the crossword, honest!) and there was an interview with Zara Phillips and she was saying that after last summer everything seems a bit flat now and it is difficult to get motivated again.
    The BW news warranted 2 pages in today's Telegraph sport.
    Perhaps BW should have quoted S Redgrave and asked someone to shoot him if he went anywhere near a bike!

You really had a thing for Gerro didnt you?!

I'm struggling to think what else the Telegraph should have it's pages with today, Lions v Barbarians can only fill so much copy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver