Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Where's your commitment? :roll:
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Mike

Sunday afternoon would suit me best too :D

Lee :shock:
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Guys, can only do Sun morning up to 12noon - got the family to think of. Works for us and I get no guilt trip.

Troopy, if you can get to Egleton for 9:30 I'll see you there. Guys, if you decide to set off pm, have a good ride - I'll let you know what the state of the trails are.

S

Ps Still to sort out that middle chain ring
  • It looks like its going to be grim on sunday, the forecast is nasty.
    However if it looks a bit better I will try to get out
  • Troopy
    mbrfan To be honest the morning will suit me better. How about meeting at the Whitwell car park. The hall by the way is Gunthorpe Hall and not Girton :roll: , I've only done the bridle way once and done know what it will be like after all this rain, but we can have a look, its not all that long. Say Whitwell at 9.30!
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    Hi Troopy/all,

Whitwell @9:30 it is. Just to avoid confusion, in the car park outside Rutland Cycles?

Metcheck says it'll stop raining for 9-3 - maybe there is a god after all, and He/She is a mtb'er!
  • mbrfan
    Hi Troopy/all,

Whitwell @9:30 it is. Just to avoid confusion, in the car park outside Rutland Cycles?

Metcheck says it'll stop raining for 9-3 - maybe there is a god after all, and He/She is a mtb'er!
  • Troopy
    That's the one. If god is a mountain biker, god must be a woman, who else would give us work to do when there is so much mountain biking out there!!

Any other takers fo a 9.30 meet?
  • Oh sod it, i will be there to get wet and muddy.Anyone want a lift?
    I'm coming from near huntingdon?
  • Is Rutland any good as i have never been myself, well apart from when i was a kid. Isnt it just cycle paths etc?

Anyways, i am staying local tomorrow as i am determined to go out for my first ride in 2 months, just finding it hard to motivate myself after a long absence. So i am just going to trundle around ferry meadows to get a feel for it again. Plus i will probably have to readjust my suspension to allow for all the mince pies i ate over xmas :shock:
  • Troopy
    I suppose it is mainly cycle paths, but there are one or two bridle ways that loop off. On the plus side it will be ridable which may not apply to the local bridle ways and farm tracks after all the rain we've had. Miles in the sadle and all that!!
  • Well that was bloody wet.
    Whats irritiating is that it hasn't even rained at home.
    Oh well good to get out
  • mbrfan
    Thanks guys for today. Yes, it was wet but I had fun and we got to try a new route. Looking at the OS map again, there might be some stuff north of Oakham that we could use to make a longer loop (in the summer, I think - recreating the Somme kinda wears).

Good luck on your respective trips to trails in Wales next weekend. Let us know how you got on.

S
  • Did it rain at Rutland? It didnt rain at all while i was rambling around ferry meadows between 9-11ish :wink: Only problem was 1) A lot of places were flooded or so slippy going the concepts of steering and traction were more or less absent. 2) As it was the first time i have been out on my bike since my all pie diet since november (birthdayds/holidays/xmas) i thought i was going to chuck up after 5 miles and after 15 called it a day. But it was pretty constantly hard going in my defense. :wink:

...and to think, in the summer i ride through this stream :shock:

bridgeve2.jpg[/img]
  • Troopy
    Good company again today guys, what's a little rain and mud, character building that’s what I call it!! I still think the top of the dam is ridable :)
    Thanks S. One thing about Wales, it may be wet but it doesn't have the thick mud! It feels good having the 1st trip of the year so early, bodes well for the coming year. :D
  • If you are riding the top of the dam, i am definately bringing my camera.
    Anyway was good fun
  • mbrfan
    Troopy/Graham T, how was Wales this weekend?
    Well guys, I've got my bike back together again -feels like new and I'm raring to go - anyone fancy a Sunday morning blast?
    I'm keen to go exploring - anyone been through Fermyn Woods, south of Oundle?

S
  • Troopy
    Wales was very good, rain free, even got some sunshine yesterday. Rode the Cli-machx on saturday and the Beast on the sunday (well some of the beast, one of the riders got lost and we spent over an hour looking for him). Some of the beast trails have been altered for the better and it has some new sections :D , although we didn't get to ride them :( .
    I'm probably not going to make it on sunday as I'm staying the night in Wellingborough on saturday. I'm also not going to be able to do anything the following weekend :(. But should be up for the weekend after that :)
  • mbrfan
    I aim to set off from the car park at Lyveden New Bield [OS224 SP984861] at 07:30 :shock: Sunday if anyone wants to join me. I'm just trying out a loop skirting Wadenhoe, aldwincle, sudborough, fermyn, denethorpe airfield and benefield, maybe a couple of hours. Best time to spot the local wildlife (no Troopy, nothing to do with "dogging" :oops: )
    S
  • Troopy
    Shhhh, people will get the wrong idea about us!!!!!
    Hope you have a good ride, sorry I won't be able to join you.
    Catch you later.
  • Hi mbrfan - is your ride still on for tomorrow? If it's OK I'd like to join you? Will you be in the layby on the road or up near the house / folly thing on top of the hill?
    Cheers
    Andy
  • mbrfan
    I'll be at the layby, 07:30. See you then. There's a ford to cross, which I expect to be deep and fast (but firm base), so bring your waterproof socks/shoes.
    S
  • mbrfan
    The first annual recreation of the Somme on mtb was a success - totally bogged down and no chance of victory by Xmas. :oops: That was one loop that is definitely confined to summer - we bailed out after only getting half-way in 2 hours. Thanks Sgt Marmite for the company, hope your chain is still in one piece. After your experiences I think I might invest in a better chain tool. :?

For half term I'm off to Thetford/Centre Parc :D , then the Reading Half Marathon on 2nd March. So, I'm next game for a ride on Sun 9th March - get those route maps out guys.

Steve
  • Thanks for the loan of your chain tool this morning Steve - it must be more than 5 years since I last had a chain break - hope you didn't get too cold waiting for me to fix it.

Will definitely get a chain tool, and probably a new chain as well I think - that one's over a year old so I guess it's lasted OK.

I don't think I've ever spent so much time using so many low gears on a ride and I was really tired at the end - but thanks again for the chance to try out some new trails.

Cheers
    Andy
  • Evening All,

It's been a while since I got out and about in the area, i used to ride with a group out of Orton Wistow school a number of years ago (about 14!). The fitness isn't quite what it used to be but it'd be good to get some company now and again. it helps stay committed if you know someone'll whinge at a no show!

so i'd be up for some of the old haunts (sulehay, fineshade, thetford etc) if anyone's out and about over the next few weeks/months.

cheers

James
  • Troopy
    Hi James, keep an eye on this page and come along whenever it takes your fancy, I'm not out this weekend but will be doing something the next. We're starting to get a good group together so there should be someone out most weekends and the more we get in the group the more likely this is to be so.

Chris
  • *flex*

Just thought I'd poke my head back in and see what people have planned :)

I was chatting to Lee last night and we're thinking of hitting Sherwood or similar next weekend if people are game?

Unfortunately my car is officially broke (something about a siezed clutch and the gearbox -really- not liking it) and so I'm in official lift-begging mode until further notice :(

but anyway, I'm still alive after hitting Dalby forest weekend before last (a must-ride, it's mind-blowing!) and if anyone wants to pop out for a wee jaunt, you know where to find me!

Mike out.
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • Right guys who's up for a forrest ride, either thetford or sherwood Sunday the 24 Feb :shock: ?

I can take two other people in my car (so mike your sorted of a lift) anyone else intrested ?

Lee :shock:
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • Troopy
    I'm up for something Feb 24th, haven't been to Thetford for over year so would go for there, I can take one.

Anyone out and about this coming Sunday afternoon?
  • I'm tied up this sunday Troopy :(

But the 24th sounds like a fantastic idea :) I'm a huge fan of Thetford, the black route is long enough to be worth doing, and short enough that you can stop at points and have a play.

Count me in :)

Also - 300 posts :)
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."