Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Howdy,
    Looks like tomorrow (Tues) night at about 6:30, not sure where though. Myself and Troopy.

Next one - I think Troopy is off to Cannock next Sunday - I'll be out with the family but could do the bank hol Monday.

Mike/Lee/James/Anthony/everyone - anyone else about during the next few weekends or evenings?

Steve
  • mbrfan
    Village Hall, Barnwell at 18:30 tomorrow (Tues) OS ref TL049845 ish.

See you there. I'll be the bloke on a bike!

S
  • Leebergin
    Leebergin Posts: 97
    Hey guys sorry not checked in lately :D

Would love to ride but wife is due any day now, so i am under orders :(

But as soon as new nipper :shock: is here then i'll be aout as mucha s i can.... :D

Lee 8)

Chris what wheels have you upgraded to :?:
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Mavic EX823 UST rims 36 spokes - black (can't remember what type), hope hubs - 20mm axle on the front, QR rear, XT 11-34 cassett, Maxxis Ignitor FR LUST 26 x 2.35 60a if you're asking.

Should be OK
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Just read your post Steve, sorry to have missed the ride tongiht! Bikes at Terry Wrights to see the good bike doctors in any case. Anything on this weekend/Monday?
  • Troopy
    Larok
    You missed a very good but very wet ride :) . The ground was not too bad until the rain started, then it just started to stick especially on the open fields :( , oh well back to the cleaning. I think Steve is planning to get out over the weekend, I'm up at Glentress, weather permitting! :P
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    Bit up in the air regarding plans for the Bank Holiday. If nothing else going on, and it hasn't bucketed down beforehand, I'll try my usual loop from Elton early on Monday morning. Last Tuesday's outing has put me off the local clay for a while. Some goodies from Wiggle have arrived, so will be in the garage this morning.

Top tip guys - get down to Aldi (!) for some cheap but OK bike gear - saddle bags, track pump and clothing - picked up some Coolmax padded boxers for £4 - who cares if they only last a few rides?

S
  • mbrfan
    Ok all,
    The forecast for this coming weekend is nothing but sun and breezes - perfect for drying out those byways and fields. I can't think of any excuses not to be out on our bikes this coming Sunday 11th.
    So, I reckon that the loop that Troopy and I tried out last week is going to be fast and fun. Who's up for a trip to Barnwell? Highlight of the trip is the bike-friendly Montague Arms at the start/finish - with a good play area for the kids if you want to meet your families at the end. I can recommend the cider. If we are a bit dusty, there's a ford in the village to clean up in.
    How about a 9:30 start?

Steve
  • Leebergin
    Leebergin Posts: 97
    Steve

Sounds fun cant delieve that the weather is so dam great 8) , but at the moment i am still on stand by for a quick trip the hospital, so i wont be able to come :(

But as soon as new baby is here then i want to ride as much as possible :D

hope everyone else is all good and well :shock:

Lee
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • Sgt Marmite
    Sgt Marmite Posts: 31
    Hi Steve,

Would like to join you for Sunday's ride but I had my bike stolen last week so I'm currently without wheels unfortunately.

Just waiting for the insurance co. to decide what they're going to do. Looks like they'll send me Halfords vouchers so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, have a good ride and keep everything locked-up......

Cheers
    Andy
  • JEB2604
    JEB2604 Posts: 24
    Morning All,

I think i'll be out on Sunday, quite busy at the moment but the weather's too good to stay indoors.

Went for a couple of hours spin around last night, it was very quick going. makes a nice change.

whereabouts was the planned meeting point?

cheers

James
  • JEB2604
    Hello again,

i'm thinking i may have asked a stupid question.

i'm guessing we meet at the boozer?!

Cheers

Sherlock.
  • mbrfan
    Meet at the Village Hall, which is at the back of the pub (you have ot go this way to get to the pub car park anyway) OS Ref TL049845 ish.
    Andy, I can lend you a bike for the day - you're about the same size as me. It should be OK - and old Decathlon VTT with a fork upgrade to a Judy3.

See you there!
  • mbrfan
    Lee,

Won't you be more in demand when the baby arrives :?: I'm thinking interrupted sleep, helping your wife by looking after the siblings, making up bottles, etc. :cry: I can't remember getting any "me" time when nos. 2 and 3 came round.

Did anyone check out Aldi? There's a piece about it on the homepage. Plus, MBUK rated Thetford in their UK top 20 trail centres - must be 2 Thetfords, then.

S
  • Larok
    Went up to Thetoford yesterday, very nice riding/stunning scenery on a blue sky day. Had a go on the red which was mostly single track in/out the forest, technical in places. Then the blue which was fast, smooth relative to the red and wide enough for two.

We parked at the High lodge forest centre for £6, which had a nice big park for families, a shop and loo's. But we passed the Brandon Country Park car park which was free. Small compared to the high lodge and not as central to the trails, (it was near the blue route, whereas the centre is near the red/black routes), but still a shop and loo's.

I picked up a map of the trails for £1 from the shop, worth getting.
  • mbrfan
    Yeah, Thetford is quite a relaxing place. I'll be taking the family along and getting my 8yr old to join me on the red run.
    Larok, do you think you might be getting out on Sunday? It looks like just me and James. Andy, are you going to take me up on the offer of a bike for the day?

And where are acac, peterboroughrider et al? I can offer a lift from P'boro if this helps?

Steve
  • Sgt Marmite
    Hi Steve,

Yes - I would like to take you up on your offer please.

If it helps, I can collect the bike on Sunday to save you having to put two bikes in your car.

Also, just so as I know what sort of shoes I'll need, does it have SPD's?

Cheers
    Andy
  • Larok
    where you guys meeting/riding on Sunday?
  • mbrfan
    Andy,

Yup, SPDs reqd., I've set them quite loose. The car will cope with two bikes no probs, so just meet me there. I'll have a toolbag so we can make some tweaks.

Larok - venue is a few posts back, but the Village Hall in Barnwell, TL051848 to be exact if you have an OS Explorer map. 09:30. There are some field crossings to be had in clay, but I expect the going to be firm. Be prepared for some nettles near the start. I expect 2hrs at a reasonable but not too exhausting pace, allow another 30 for a few stops to take in the scenery and consult the map.

Steve
  • Larok
    Great stuff, see you there.
  • Sgt Marmite
    Hi Steve,

OK - that's great I'll see you there on Sunday.

Cheers
    Andy
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    hi all am still about been out on my bike today saturday weather great saturday was better for or i would of came along with you lot been keeping an eye on here'
    heres two little clips of me lol have nice one tomorrow.
    signing out ant,
    http://cannondale1.pinkbike.com/channel/ant/

:P
    play hard ride hard
  • mbrfan
    Thanks for the ride, guys. Look forward to another tour of the area soon!
    S[/img]
  • TTT
    TTT Posts: 4
    I would be up for joining your next ride if thats ok. I am a total novice though :oops:

Sean. :D
    Searching for the perfect grin, or at best a toothless smile.
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    acac wrote:
    hi all am still about been out on my bike today saturday weather great saturday was better for or i would of came along with you lot been keeping an eye on here'
    heres two little clips of me lol have nice one tomorrow.
    signing out ant,
    http://cannondale1.pinkbike.com/channel/ant/

:P

I passed through Sulehay on sat, didn't see anyone else about, especially not filming :wink:
  • Larok
    Yes, thanks for the ride guys. Great riding. Some memorable events, such as me falling into a ditch! (turned out the valve just blew out and destroyed itself). Also, the happy couple enjoying the sunshine!

TTT We talked about meeting up next weekend, although it's to be confirmed on here first.
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    i got there about 8.30, around there untell about 9.30am
    play hard ride hard
  • JEB2604
    morning all,

yep, it was a good ride sunday, bit of a boneshaker in places but given recent conditions that's expected.

hopefully the weather will hold for the time being. will try and think of a few routes, i used to ride extensively around the wansford region but have never really bothered with maps!! i have got an o/s of that area so can probably come up with a decent 20 miles or so.

see you's

james
  • mbrfan
    Hiya,

I think a route that takes in the quarry would be a good intro for TTT. Would be a good intro to technical skills.
    I'll find a way to get some of those piccies onto the site.

Next Sunday is the Race for Life, so will be cheering on the missus at Burghley. If you do go, have a good'un. If not, I'm up for the following Sun. I can also make Monday or Weds evenings, just give me 24hrs notice.

S
  • Troopy
    Hi all,
    Got moved house ok on Saturday and just getting things sorted. I've got loads to do this week and the and at the weekend too. Anyone up for doing a trip out on the bank holiday weekend? Cannock Chase or a trip into Derbyshire!
    Glentress the other weekend was superb, the new wheels and tyres were awesome :P .
    Anyone out on an evening this week?

Chris