Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Yeh come along James, the more the merrier.
    Steve, I take it we're looking to set off at 11? If so we should meet at say 10.45, it allows a little time for loading bikes etc. Are we meeting in the Golf club car park?
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Leebergin
    Leebergin Posts: 97
    James welcome to the Group :shock:

Golf club car park sounds like a fine idea :idea: Troopy, i'll pick Mike up from his house and then meet you guys there

ACAC are you coming on sunday ? :?:

Cant wait should be a good trip, James dont worry to much about keeping up i am always at the back of the pack ... :?

Lee 8)
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • JEB2604
    JEB2604 Posts: 24
    Thanks guys.

I'll assume you mean the car park near pitch and putt and the granary pub (if it's still called that). and i'll see you there about 10:45....
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    See you all, at 10:45. The golf club/granary car park it is. Looks like more cars than people at this rate. I'm happy to be passenger for a change. I am so looking forward to this.

Steve
  • mbrfan
    Thanks to all for the company at Thetford last Sunday. I had good fun despite making an @rse of myself on that log - found a few more grazes when I got home.

I'm looking into a weekend away early in August. Troopy suggested Wales. Is anyone else interested? Probably a campsite, woudl like to walk up a hill whilst I'm there too.

Steve
  • mikebert4
    mikebert4 Posts: 93
    Hell yes -

Maybe looking at north-wales (eg: coed-y-brenin)? Thats quite close to Triffen/Gwen fach and not too far at all from Snowdon. There's even a few bunkhouses/Youth hostels along that stretch of the A5 (though I'd prefer to camp tbh).

By the way - I'd love to hit a hill or two whilst I'm there - Specifically Triffen (it's an awesome, awesome climb).

What say ye?
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • Troopy
    I posted a reply earlier, or at least I though I did. Anyway it's not here now!! but this is what it sounded like:-
    I really enjoyed last Sunday although they ought to put more of the north shore etc stuff on more of the trails.
    Steve, hope you weren't too sore on Monday
    Lee, hope all is well when you get checked out. Hopefully it's just a case of you needing more time on the trainer!!
    James, it was good to meet you, hopefully you'll get out again with us soon.
    and Mike!!!!!

Anyway I'm certainly up for Wales in the summer, I though bike on the Saturday and walk on the Sunday, maybe even take the Monday off and have a short ride to finish with.
    I know the forecast for this weekend is not fantastic but I don't think it's going to be too bad so is anyone up for a spin out, maybe do my route from ferry meadows! or I’m open to suggestions.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Leebergin
    Leebergin Posts: 97
    Well guys got checked out by doctor all ok :D

Althoe they did give me an inhailer just incase, doctor think a mixture of cold air and exercise. :?

Trip in August sounds cool but i'll have to play by see if the misses is ok with once new baby is here.
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • mbrfan
    I'll bail out for tomorrow morning as I really need to put some running miles in again after a long spell out of action - I shall be heading out to Folksworth to find some hills.

Weekends in August up for discussion: 2/3, 9/10, 30/31.

Steve
  • mbrfan
    I'll bail out for tomorrow morning as I really need to put some running miles in again after a long spell out of action - I shall be heading out to Folksworth to find some hills.

Weekends in August up for discussion: 2/3, 9/10, 30/31.

Steve
  • mikebert4
    All three are good for me - I really don't plan that far ahead yet (cor, it's easy for some eh?)

Any chance of perhaps taking a friday+monday off either end and making it a long weekend? It'd be a shame to get all the way over there for only one days riding + one days walking!

Well, I think that's what I'll plan to do, I can drag Andrena along as well and given I'll (hopefully) be driving again by then, people can pretty much do as they please :)
  • mbrfan
    http://www.evanscycles.com/rideit.jsp?item_id=707

or a bit further afield

http://www.trailbreak.co.uk/index.php?go=diary

Guys, fancy doing one of these? The trail is already marked out for you, you just need to follow it (no official race, but from past experience we will be nowhere near first) There's also some mtb orienteering sites (Trailquest/Navigator) which adds a twist and I can thoroughly recommend.

Steve
  • Troopy
    I'm pretty.................................oh sorry, I'm pretty easy on any of those dates, although I'm looking to book a trip to Morzine late July which might extend into August so the later dates would be good. I agree with Mike, we should try and make it a long weekend. I might not be able to make Friday and Monday but if not I will be looking to travel over on the Friday night so will be able to get a good start on the Saturday :P .

Again I go along with Mike and would prefer to camp, I know a good camp site not far from Coed-y-Brenin, they even let you have camp fires :D .

Anyone up for a ride this weekend, I went out last Sunday and the bridle ways have dried out quite nicely :) or will it be another Billy no mates ride out :roll: .

Talk later
    Chris
  • mbrfan
    OK Billy No Mates, I can join you this Sunday. Anywhere in the locality. Need to be back for noon. Metcheck says rain in the afternoon, 6 degrees and windy. Sounds perfect.

S
  • JEB2604
    afternoon all,

will most probably be out this weekend, depending on what i get done saturday.
  • Troopy
    Steve, are you still out tomorrow? I've now got to be back home by 11-11.30. So if you are out and depending on what we do I suggest meeting around 8.30. James if you get everything done how does that suit you? Anyone else out?
  • mbrfan
    All, 08:30 Sun is fine by me - we still haven't worked out where we're going though. I can propose a 1.5hr loop starting at Elton/Warmington/Polebrook which is 60-70% off-road. Should be well-drained: bridleway and tracks. There's a green at the bottom of the hill in Elton by a methodist church OS ref: TL085938. Nothing too extreme so bring your hardtail.
  • Troopy
    Steve
    I was thinking of being out a little longer but I guess we can add onto this can we? As I'm looking to move out to Elton it will be good to start finding routes out from there, so I’ll see you on the Green for 8.30. Are you biking out to Elton or taking the car? I'll send you and James a PM with my mobile so that we can arrange a meeting place if you are biking over.
    Chris
  • JEB2604
    Morning,

sorry Steve/Chris i didn't make it out. unfortunately i left quite a lot of work until the last minute so for the first time in my life - ridiculous hangovers aside - i got no fresh air at all yesterday...

definitely be about during the coming weeks, with the days getting longer perhaps a couple of evening rides might be a good idea?

cheers

James
  • mbrfan
    Hi James,
    Well, you missed quite a workout - we put in nearly 30miles. The overnight rain had an adhesive effect on the clay in some fields - so clogged up that I resorted to carrying the bike, plus a ton of mud, across one of the last fields. I suspect in the summer that it would be a blast.
    I'm certainly interested in an evening ride. There's a loop I tried from Grafham Water, or if you know any loopswest/south of Sawtry?

S
  • Troopy
    It was just over 30 Miles for me and a great ride, really enjoyed it. Although grinding to a holt in the mud wasn't neccessary, big or cleaver!
    I'm up for some week day rides. I don't know if it's the same loop Steve, but I know a nice loop out from Grafham as well. We need to set regular evenings any suggestions? I may not be able to make Tuesdays but most other days are fine for me.

Chris
  • Troopy
    Come to mention evening rides, does anyone fancy a ride out tonight?
  • mikebert4
    Dammnation -

If only I'd read this before heading out Troopy - I had a 2-3 hour blast around Ferry medows yesterday - twas such a nice day :)

Today, however, isn't *sniff*
  • mbrfan
    Sod and his law struck this week - appraisals have meant lots of homework to keep me indoors. Next week, maybe?
  • mbrfan
    Guys,

I have a back catalogue of mtb mags if anyone wants them:
    MBUK Nov'06 to Dec'07 including a couple of "preview" editions
    MBR Nov'06 to Dec'07 (sadly missing the pullout guides - I'm definitely keeping those!)
    WMB 5 editions Nov'06 to Feb'07 and Oct'07
    Dirt Aug'06
    Happy to deliver within reason or we can do the transfer next time we meet up.
    Steve
  • Troopy
    Is that what you call appraisals homework, sorting out your mountainbike mags? :roll: :lol:
    Anyone out at night during the week? i'm hoping to get out at least one night and then i'm off up to the boarders at the weekend and riding at Glentress and maybe Innerleithen, got to give the new wheels a testing!
  • mbrfan
    No, the appraisals are nearly over - I have 14 to to read and approve before tomorrow. We were sorting out the junk for the local pre-school table-top sale. Threw out some kids toys and videos, and the mags were next in the firing line.

Tues. evening would be good - could go out straight from work if this helps. Weds is out. Any particular route in mind? I've given up on weather forecasts - both Met Check and BBC said it was raining heavily this afternoon - and it's the sunniest day we've had so far.

Came across some bridle way in Yarwell yesterday whilst out walking the Nene Way; some cheeky hops and a few nice views. Yet to find a way to get it into a loop on the map though.
  • Troopy
    Tuesday should be good, I'm easy on the routes, depends on how long people want to be out for and what time we can meet up. I'm up for 1.5-2hours.
  • mbrfan
    Ok, I've just come up with a loop Barnwell - Armiton - Gt Gidding -Clopton - Wigsthorpe - Barnwell.
    Looks about 1.5 hours. Some road but not too much 6k?. I suppose it depends on the rain tomorrow whether the bridleways and byways will be clogged. There seems to be a few options to bail out, so is it worth a try? 6pm too early?

S
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Hi. I'd like to join in on a ride. When's the next one?