Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Hi all,

I hope you've got your mud-busting tyres on. Took a tour on the byway at the back ofSulehay towards Fotheringay last Sunday and although the skids were fun at first, it quickly lost the entertainment factor :( - got clogged up very quickly and stayed that way. I can, however, recommend the track out from Warmingtin through to the Ashton estate - there's a great ford with a firm base for hitting at speed. :D

As we're making a date for Sherwood on the 9th, can I begin the arrangements for lifts? I can take 1 plus bike, maybe 2 in the Scenic at a push. And is there a convenient marshalling point?

steve
  • I can take myself and one other +bikes in my Corsa (I've done 3 before but it's a squash).

Personally I'd like to avoid driving if I can, though I'm more than happy to if we need that space.

Marshalling point should probally be Ferry Medows, seeing as we all know it and we've all been there.

Whilst we're at it, who is actually comming on the 9th?

ooh! and my Tubeless kits arrived yesterday *pokes Lee* :)
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • mbrfan
    :?: Can I get the ball rolling for Sunday. Ferry Meadows at 07:30 Sunday? Earlier, later?
    Which car park? I can drive and take one other. First to post a reply gets the ride. Let's get posting :!:
    Steve
  • I've not had the chance to speak to Chris (Troopy), or Ant (ACAC) but Lee's been helping me set up my tubless tires (more trouble than it's worth atm :( ) and It looks as if he's not going to make it (illness etc)

As for me, expect to see me at Ferry Medows at the prescribed time, with (crosses fingers) a full-functioning bike and raring to go.

7:30 works for me, earlier than I'm used to, but it's a good thing when you think of the Daylight issue's we could have. As for Which car park, we're probally better off meeting in the Golf-club/Harvester car park, it's small enough to make finding each other a doddle, and it doesn't cost anything :).

I'll jump on that ride if I may Steve - unless we get more along who can't drive, in which case I'll man the wheel in my own car as well.

But you're right, get talking chaps! so far there's only Steve and I watching this :(
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Hi guys
    I'll probably be up in Newark on saturday so it will make sense for me to stay over and meet you up there. It'll take you a good hour to get up there and you'll probably not set off much before 7:45, so i'll meet you outside the cafe at 9 - 9:15 if that's ok!
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Sorry all will not be able to make sunday still recovering from viral gastroenteritis :oops: (if thats how you spell it). :roll:

Anyway have a great ride and if i dont get chance to catch you all before have a great Christmas and a grand new year. :shock:

Heres to lots of riding next year :D
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • Troopy
    I'm not now going to be in Newark on Saturday so if anyone needs a lift. I have a van so I can get 2 bikes in easily without having to dismantle them. Steve & Mike I'll see you in the car park at the god forsaken time on a Sunday of 7.30 :roll:
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • mbrfan
    See you there guys.
  • bwahaha... see you in 20 minutes :)
  • mbrfan
    Thanks for the company last Sunday guys. Does anyone fancy a local ride over the Xmas break?
    S
  • never say never :)

I might even remember to pack my gloves this time :P
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    I often ride the green wheel past nene valley on a orange trek 6500.

Be good to meet some local mtbers
  • mbrfan
    Hi Larok, welcome to the forum. Mike/Trooper, you've been on some of the local trails - do you know of any that might be good targets for a Xmas ride - perhaps starting from Ferry Meadows (a good a place as any to meet up, and a decent hot chocolate at the end) What's north of Castor?
    As for dates, Thurs 27th sounds appealing - Xmas sales do nothing for me.
    S
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    That sounds like a great idea for the 27th.

I'm not happy riding on roads, could we route around that?
  • Right guys now fully recovered :D does anyone fancy meeting up for a drink sunday evening. :shock:

I wont be able to make the 27th lots of family to visit over the xmas period.

Let me know :shock:

Thanks

Lee
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

• Troopy
    Hi guys, sorry for not replying to the posts but I normally get an email when a new message has been posted, I guess it's not working! The 27th could be good, it all depends on what time, I'm staying up in Newark over Christmas and Boxing day so if you were going out say 10.30 - 11 I could make down in time. Otherwise a week Saturday would be good.
  • mbrfan
    Ok all, How about Sat 29th then? I can do a late morning start. Sorry Lee, but with Xmas visits etc this Sunday evening is off limits. Pity as it would be nce to meet up and have a good banter. Glad to hear that you've recovered.
    If I don't get another opportunity, have a good Xmas.

S

Oh and Mike, I looked up that website - pretty impressive. My HR dept were going to contact your Mum for some prices.
  • Sorry guys, but I've been informed I'm officially booked up from the 27th right through to the 7th of Jan. Visits, Holidays, the works.

So Failing any interim communication from myself, Have a great Christmas and I'll catch you all in the new year!

Mike out
  • Troopy
    Mike, Catch you in the new matey.
    Lee, sorry for not arranging a drink Sunday evening.
    Steve, Saturday the 29th is good or even the Sunday if this is easier, either way we should do something.

Happy Christmas to one and all and wishing all a good mountain biking 2008.
  • Troopy
    Mike - The missing word is YEAR :oops:
  • Dear All

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.... :shock:

Hopefully after the madness of Christmas we can meet up and ride and drink and be merry... 8)

Well working of the Christmas pounds :lol:

Have a great one all and see you in the new year

Lee
    Lee

• mbrfan
    Hi all. Got a few mince pies to work off on Saturday. Shall we say 10:30 - this will give us a bit of a lie in. Now, the venue - meet up at Ferry Meadows by the caff and plan a route? i haven't been north of there, if there is any decent routes to follow? Hope Santa brought you what you wanted.

S
  • Troopy
    Hi S
    Count me in for tomorrow 10:30 at the cafe. I've got ordinance survey maps of this area and leading over to fine shades/wakerley woods, i'll have a look tonight see if i can plan a route or 2.
  • mbrfan
    Did I chose the wrong cafe [the Watersports centre]? hung around for a while and did a couple of circuits of the lake to keep warm. Kinda chickened out after that. Got plans for tomorrow so perhaps Sun 6th?
    S
  • Troopy
    S
    There I was cursing you for not turning up, I was waiting at the visitors cafe (which was closed, never though of going to the water sports centre) waited there until 10:50 then set off. Just had a great ride, made up a 22 mile route with very little road. I'll pm you with my mobile number.
  • Troopy
    Anybody up for a ride out tomorrow? say around mid-late morning
  • Hi Guys,

See you are all peterbrorough bikers.

I too live in Peterbrorugh Near Ferry, where do you guys ride ?

I normally have a few circuits starting from Ferry that last 15-20 miles, fancy catching up at some point ?
  • Troopy
    We usually set off from Ferry Meadows, although this has only been in the last few months and then only on 2 or 3 occations. It would be good to get something started on a regular basis.
    If you are interested, I'm looking to get out tomorrow, around 10 or 11ish, or later if it means others can come along, I did a 22 miler last week (mostly a new route for me, mainly off road) and was looking to do it again.
  • Doing welcome the more the merrier.... :D

Right guys i am ready to start riding again :shock: . back to full stength and raring to try out new riding shoe :D

So whos up for a ride next saturday :?:

let me know then we can organsie :shock:

Lee :shock:
    Lee

• acac
    acac Posts: 348
    hi all happy year ive been keeping an eye on here but been abit bisy lately ready to get back out there my bike
    lee i like your picture on pinkbike.com
    saturday be great for me all gos well i see you then 8)
    what do you think of the bike now
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1670549/
    play hard ride hard