2024 Election thread

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Jezyboy said:

Yes, incentivising gigantic base salaries does not a more stable bank make.

If performance is so variable that you need to adjust take home salaries with bonuses of over 200%, it doesn't sound like a stable business.
    Many of the business lines of investment banks are in are very choppy by nature. Lot of lines of business are *extremely* profitable in a very narrow time window.

If you bring in £100m of revenue 3 years running, but the next 4 years it's £10m because the window has closed and the cycle has turned (or your rivals worked out your secret sauce and copied) how do you reward that appropriately?

If you're competing for the few people who can do the above, because you want those 3 years of £100m revenues, you are often competing on pay. If you're limited to 200% of your base, the base salaries can get stupidly high very quickly.

Also, banks are just part of the wider FS ecosystem and it makes it harder to shift talent between FS industries as the base salaries are so out of whack; it's not efficient.
    Fair enough, although I think there's a fortune v ability debate there. If exploiting the short windows is a reliable ability, then higher base pay should presumably be OK. The 10m year will be back at 100m once the star performer has returned to their mean level of performance.

Of course if different companies are recruiting from the same pool, but have different rules, I can see that being awkward.

I don't necessarily disagree with the bonus rule being a bad bit of legislation. It's clearly designed to appeal as a bit of legislation that would reduce "bankers" take home pay, but it probably doesn't, and as you say, banks are but a part of the ecosystem.

However, getting rid of it now screams of a government who don't really have a direction who just have random priorities.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Yes, incentivising gigantic base salaries does not a more stable bank make.

If performance is so variable that you need to adjust take home salaries with bonuses of over 200%, it doesn't sound like a stable business.
    Many of the business lines of investment banks are in are very choppy by nature. Lot of lines of business are *extremely* profitable in a very narrow time window.

If you bring in £100m of revenue 3 years running, but the next 4 years it's £10m because the window has closed and the cycle has turned (or your rivals worked out your secret sauce and copied) how do you reward that appropriately?

If you're competing for the few people who can do the above, because you want those 3 years of £100m revenues, you are often competing on pay. If you're limited to 200% of your base, the base salaries can get stupidly high very quickly.

Also, banks are just part of the wider FS ecosystem and it makes it harder to shift talent between FS industries as the base salaries are so out of whack; it's not efficient.
    Fair enough, although I think there's a fortune v ability debate there. If exploiting the short windows is a reliable ability, then higher base pay should presumably be OK. The 10m year will be back at 100m once the star performer has returned to their mean level of performance.

Of course if different companies are recruiting from the same pool, but have different rules, I can see that being awkward.

I don't necessarily disagree with the bonus rule being a bad bit of legislation. It's clearly designed to appeal as a bit of legislation that would reduce "bankers" take home pay, but it probably doesn't, and as you say, banks are but a part of the ecosystem.

However, getting rid of it now screams of a government who don't really have a direction who just have random priorities.
    The reality of the situation is people still get paid a fortune, but rather than that fortune being wildly dependent on how much money they make for the bank, it instead lumbers the banks with very high fixed costs.

Banks would rather be able to pay £1m bonus to someone if they've earned the bank a lot and £200k the next year if they haven't, rather than just paying them £800k the first year and £600k the second year.

That should be obvious.
  • I wonder what manifesto ideas Rishi will campaign on at the election? He and the party don't seem to have any medium or long term strategies at all currently!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    ‘Long-Term Decisions for a Brighter Future’?
    Like cancelling long term plans?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

‘Long-Term Decisions for a Brighter Future’?
    Like cancelling long term plans?

Exactly
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    Does "brighter future" refer to the IQ of the next incumbent of no. 10?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    edited October 2023
    I think it refers to the future of Tory Leadership's wealth managers
  • Jezyboy

Does "brighter future" refer to the IQ of the next incumbent of no. 10?

Meh, I'm not sure it's a particular lack of IQ. Rishi doesn't strike me as someone who is particularly stupid, I suspect Truss would also score above average on most tests.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    edited October 2023
    It's only a nopinion poll, but even so... Tories + Reform = just 30%. I'd hope that LD & Green voters would vote tactically in the Red Wall seats, and Labour voters ditto in vaguely marginal seats otherwise, as I still suspect that Reform will pull out in many constituencies to favour Tory candidates, but are using the parlous state of the Tories' support to leverage their power to influence Tory policy in the meantime

• Jezyboy
    I wonder how many reform voters will just stay at home if they don't have a candidate to vote for.
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

I wonder how many reform voters will just stay at home if they don't have a candidate to vote for.

Depends how much further to the right the Tories go. To be fair, they haven't got that much further to go to be in the National Front league.

• Jezyboy

Jezyboy said:

Depends how much further to the right the Tories go. To be fair, they haven't got that much further to go to be in the National Front league.

It's all very well having the Tories having anti immigrant rhetoric, but they've been in power for over a decade and have seen record immigration numbers.
  • briantrumpet
    edited October 2023
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

It's all very well having the Tories having anti immigrant rhetoric, but they've been in power for over a decade and have seen record immigration numbers.

Quite something when they can't even National Front properly, despite the aspiration to.
  • rick_chasey
    (should add, prices are 16 per cent up over the last 2 years).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617

Was that just in case anyone thought you might be giving the Tories a compliment? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Was that just in case anyone thought you might be giving the Tories a compliment? :)
    Pretty much. "The whole house is no longer on fire, only the garage" is not something I would be crowing about too much.

The rapidness of the tweet is aligned with the reported theory that waiting for inflation to calm down is a key factor in deciding when to go to the polls.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2023

See my post in the other thread. The drop in inflation has nothing to do with the government and food inflation is still at 10%.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Having nothing to do with something has never stopped a government from taking the credit.
  • pblakeney

Having nothing to do with something has never stopped a government from taking the credit.

True, but it should highlighted.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,538
    edited November 2023
    Annualised inflation from the last five months by category. Maybe it needs to be taught in schools.

Food and non- alcoholic beverages 2.00%
    Alcoholic beverages and tobacco 6.61%
    Clothing and footwear 7.99%
    Housing, water, electricity, gas & other fuels -12.33%
    Furniture, household equipment & routine maintenance -2.24%
    Health 3 6.03%
    Transport 1.25%
    Communic- ation -1.83%
    Recreation and culture 5.08%
    Education 3 11.10%
    Restaurants and hotels 5.14%
    Miscell- aneous goods and services 3 3.12%
    CPI (overall index) 1.28%

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pretty much. "The whole house is no longer on fire, only the garage" is not something I would be crowing about too much.

The rapidness of the tweet is aligned with the reported theory that waiting for inflation to calm down is a key factor in deciding when to go to the polls.
    Thought so. You couldn't be seen to be giving credit where credit is due, even though some main drivers of inflation (such as Putin) are outside of government control.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Thought so. You couldn't be seen to be giving credit where credit is due, even though some main drivers of inflation (such as Putin) are outside of government control.
    Feel free to furnish me with all the things the government has actually been doing.
  • Surprised they didn't find a way to fuck it up, but at the time it was announced it felt a bit like having an August policy announcement for the temperature to be lower in December.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Feel free to furnish me with all the things the government has actually been doing.
    So are you giving them credit on reducing inflation or not?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sure, though just as Sunak can't have it both ways, neither can we.

If we want to pin inflation on the government, and I think we have, we also need to pin the reduction on the gov't.

In reality, we ought to be looking at comparable countries and how the UK inflation rates compare so we get a better idea of what the government inflation premium or discount is.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sure, though just as Sunak can't have it both ways, neither can we.

If we want to pin inflation on the government, and I think we have, we also need to pin the reduction on the gov't.

In reality, we ought to be looking at comparable countries and how the UK inflation rates compare so we get a better idea of what the government inflation premium or discount is.

:o

Although as I mentioned above, some major drivers of the increases in inflation were out of the governemnts hands.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

:o

Although as I mentioned above, some major drivers of the increases in inflation were out of the governemnts hands.

Sure. In theory you could devise a sort of inflation benchmark driven by external factors and then you could evaluate the government's performance against that - so you could see whether the govt is above or below benchmark.

I suspect measuring inflation is not remotely accurate at the best of times (cake stop's favourite topic!), so the likelihood of having good enough data to do that is probably pretty low.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pretty much. "The whole house is no longer on fire, only the garage"
    Oh cr@p, that's where I keep my bikes.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

They did nothing to fuel inflation such as cutting income tax or raising VAT