2024 Election thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,099
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

(should add, prices are 16 per cent up over the last 2 years).

Was that just in case anyone thought you might be giving the Tories a compliment? :)
    Pretty much. "The whole house is no longer on fire, only the garage" is not something I would be crowing about too much.

The rapidness of the tweet is aligned with the reported theory that waiting for inflation to calm down is a key factor in deciding when to go to the polls.
    Thought so. You couldn't be seen to be giving credit where credit is due, even though some main drivers of inflation (such as Putin) are outside of government control.
    Feel free to furnish me with all the things the government has actually been doing.
    So are you giving them credit on reducing inflation or not?
    As you've already stated most of it is outside their control. No blame for it going up > no credit for it coming down.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Was that just in case anyone thought you might be giving the Tories a compliment? :)
    Pretty much. "The whole house is no longer on fire, only the garage" is not something I would be crowing about too much.

The rapidness of the tweet is aligned with the reported theory that waiting for inflation to calm down is a key factor in deciding when to go to the polls.
    Thought so. You couldn't be seen to be giving credit where credit is due, even though some main drivers of inflation (such as Putin) are outside of government control.
    Feel free to furnish me with all the things the government has actually been doing.
    They did nothing to fuel inflation such as cutting income tax or raising VAT
    They did try briefly.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As you've already stated most of it is outside their control. No blame for it going up > no credit for it coming down.
    Nope. If the increases were out side of their control but the remedy was down to what they did, then they can get the credit without the blame.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Sunak will get no electoral credit for this.
    In fact, when people look at prices, and their weekly expenditure, they will wonder what he's claiming credit for.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Sunak will get no electoral credit for this.
    In fact, when people look at prices, and their weekly expenditure, they will wonder what he's claiming credit for.

Exactly this. Although I think we would need deflation for the "everyday" person to give them credit.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope. If the increases were out side of their control but the remedy was down to what they did, then they can get the credit without the blame.
    Quite a big ask for any UK PM to unilaterally end the war in Ukraine and straighten out the global energy market.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Quite a big ask for any UK PM to unilaterally end the war in Ukraine and straighten out the global energy market.
    True. Do you think those are the only things that could reduce inflation?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

More Leftiebile from You Gov
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

They could put taxes up some more 🙂

That's not going to reduce energy prices though.

I just think it's an odd thing to promise when controlling inflation is the BoE's responsibility and has been delegated to them for quite a while now. And even the BoE only has interest rates and QT as tools.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I just think it's an odd thing to promise when controlling inflation is the BoE's responsibility and has been delegated to them for quite a while now. And even the BoE only has interest rates and QT as tools.
    So your answer was 'no', then :smile:
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think I suggested they had zero impact, just not significant. Which tax changes do you think have reduced inflation then?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think I suggested they had zero impact, just not significant. Which tax changes do you think have reduced inflation then?
    They did sack Truss
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I didn't say that they did.

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Do you think the government has affected inflation in any significant way? If so: how?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Do you think the government has affected inflation in any significant way? If so: how?
    They've talked it down?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

They've talked it down?
    There was that guy that was very big on mindless positivity. Blond chap I think he also thought that worked with novel viruses. Imagine his surprise when he couldn't just think yourself better.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Apart from interest rates (which required no action as that was already part of the BoE mandate but is still something the govt could change if they wanted to), they resisted the more outrageous pay claims from the unions. Tax 'hikes' such as the rate freezes and lowering of certain thresholds (not something that I approved of) had an incidental effect on inflation but that was not their main purpose and should be reversed as soon as we are comfortable that inflation under control.
  • First.Aspect
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Apart from interest rates (which required no action as that was already part of the BoE mandate but is still something the govt could change if they wanted to), they resisted the more outrageous pay claims from the unions. Tax 'hikes' such as the rate freezes and lowering of certain thresholds (not something that I approved of) had an incidental effect on inflation but that was not their main purpose and should be reversed as soon as we are comfortable that inflation under control.
    So basically, what they've done is not doing something they could have done? And they have done something to limit public spending, which isn't inextricably linked to inflation?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So basically, what they've done is not doing something they could have done? And they have done something to limit public spending, which isn't inextricably linked to inflation?
    Not sure what you mean.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure what you mean.
    You are presuming an inflation wage spiral has been averted.

And praised them for not doing something (ie take over interest rate decisions).
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure what you mean.
    You are presuming an inflation wage spiral has been averted.

And praised them for not doing something (ie take over interest rate decisions).
    What makes you think otherwise? It's pretty well accepted that high wage rises drive inflation.
  • First.Aspect
    It is, but it's not clear either that this was the reason for the size of the public sector wage rises, or that they affected enough of the economy to make much difference. I suppose the messaging could have had a broader influence.
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2023
    And let's gloss over private sector pay for the other 5/6 of the workforce...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Whilst I would not agree with SteveO’s use of the word “bile” I do think you lot are incapable of rationally talking about the Tories.

IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

Much of their impact has been through things that they did not do but that is just as valid.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2023

IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

How did they do that?!
  • rjsterry

Whilst I would not agree with SteveO’s use of the word “bile” I do think you lot are incapable of rationally talking about the Tories.

Much of their impact has been through things that they did not do but that is just as valid.

Would you hazard a guess as to what proportion of the drop in inflation is down to political decisions and what is just down to the economic 'weather'?

If we said that the BoE's interest rate rises accounted for 1/5 of that reduction (i.e. one percentage point of the ~five) do you think giving nurses a slightly smaller pay rise (or the proportionally miniscule number of train drivers) accounts for another percentage point difference or less?

Stevo started off by stating that a (possibly the) major instigator of inflation was the further Russian invasion of Ukraine and the restriction of oil and gas supply; that leading into general energy supply inflation which affects pretty much everything. No argument there and definitely out of the control of UK government.

Stevo also mentioned wage growth (and the restraint on public sector wages as a thing not done to reduce inflation). Reduced workforce following Covid is pretty widely accepted as having an inflationary effect around the world and seems to be a significant driver of private sector wage inflation in this country.

The lack of focus on the shrinking labour supply would seem to be one of the biggest missed opportunities for a government looking to do what it could to minimise inflation.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

The lack of focus on the shrinking labour supply would seem to be one of the biggest missed opportunities for a government looking to do what it could to minimise inflation.

I doubt it's so much a lack of focus as shrinking the labour supply was a key objective of the Brexiter government and restricting labour was an argument Sunak made to raise real wages, so I doubt they're suddenly going to pivot and say "yeah this is actually a problem".
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    Let's be real, inflation has been a problem across the developed world, and the causes are largely global.

Furthermore, given precariousness of the pound, the BoE has pretty narrow room to deviate from whatever the Fed does.

Compared to other nations the UK has more problematic inflation, at the margins, but again, a decent proportion of that is the natural side effects of Brexit. Increasing trade and labour friction with your immediate neighbours is inflationary, and guess what, it disproportionately affects perishable goods, i.e. food as you can't flick those from across the world as easily. Food of course, making up a big chunk of people's daily expenditure so it impacts inflation more.

• IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

How did they do that?!
    massive hike in personal taxation, they could have pursued other sources of revenue to keep money in people's pockets.

There was some shouting about the Govt subsidising mortgage increases. I am not saying this was ever likely but is the sort of vote winner that they could have done.

You are well aware that public sector pay restraint is as much about managing expectations as the immediate outcome.

It would have been fairly mainstream to have an expansionary fiscal policy to up the rate of growth and say to hell with inflation as it will sort itself out.

Whilst they set an easy target they should be given credit for having a "policy" and sticking to it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,538

How did they do that?!
    massive hike in personal taxation, they could have pursued other sources of revenue to keep money in people's pockets.

There was some shouting about the Govt subsidising mortgage increases. I am not saying this was ever likely but is the sort of vote winner that they could have done.

You are well aware that public sector pay restraint is as much about managing expectations as the immediate outcome.

It would have been fairly mainstream to have an expansionary fiscal policy to up the rate of growth and say to hell with inflation as it will sort itself out.

Whilst they set an easy target they should be given credit for having a "policy" and sticking to it.
    Have you worked out how to vote now that red Johnson is no longer there?