2024 Election thread

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    Can't imagine Rishi even notices 80k per year.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Pross said:

The longer they wait the longer they get their ministerial salaries for one thing. They may also hope that if they wait long enough Labour will do or say something stupid. After all, we’ve been warned on here that we are going to see how bad things can get if they take power so maybe they’ll let something slip.

They are by and large rich posh boys who don't need the money. The only benefit to them is the doors being an ex minister or prime minister opens in the after life. That box is already ticked, so I don't see money being much of a motivation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2023

Pross said:

The longer they wait the longer they get their ministerial salaries for one thing. They may also hope that if they wait long enough Labour will do or say something stupid. After all, we’ve been warned on here that we are going to see how bad things can get if they take power so maybe they’ll let something slip.

They are by and large rich posh boys who don't need the money.
    Not sure that's entirely fair tbh. The old duffers you see on the TV a lot, sure, but there are plenty who aren't.

If you're an MP your earning power is almost certainly greater than what you're earning as an MP. Plus you don't get death threats. That's fine for the older people who have made their money. But there are plenty of 2019 intakes who certainly haven't.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Pross said:

They are by and large rich posh boys who don't need the money. The only benefit to them is the doors being an ex minister or prime minister opens in the after life. That box is already ticked, so I don't see money being much of a motivation.
    They might not need the money, that doesn't stop them wanting the money. I haven't seen anything in the last few years to suggest they are there for any kind of political ideology as their policies change with the wind.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

They are by and large rich posh boys who don't need the money.
    Not sure that's entirely fair tbh. The old duffers you see on the TV a lot, sure, but there are plenty who aren't.

If you're an MP your earning power is almost certainly greater than what you're earning as an MP. Plus you don't get death threats. That's fine for the older people who have made their money. But there are plenty of 2019 intakes who certainly haven't.
    Okay, so the folks who might need the money or who really believe in what they are doing have absolutely no influence over the rich posh boys who do.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    It's not like they were flying before high inflation. If anything the cost of living crisis gives them a singular issue to focus on.
  • Tamworth was mentioned in the Network North document twice - once for a road and once for a railway line - and they scrapped the HS2 going through there. Ungrateful lot, what more could they do?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Thank God Labour will be in soon, "WE ARE ARE SAVED!".
    "SAVED!"
    "Where is all the housing they promised?"
    "Why is inflation so high?"
    "Why isn't the economy growing?"
    "Why is everyone striking?"
    "Why hasn't the why been sorted yet?"

Have you no faith in the leftie magic wand?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Even Wrecker Frost knows they're cooked. Haven't yet caught the clips of Tories tryong to put a positive spin on it, but I imagine it's comedy gold.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540
    I don't understand Sunak. If you're boring and sensible, be boring and sensible. That was his only strategy to win, or lose respectably, and he has blown it completely.
  • briantrumpet
    Haha. Hands with "legacy issues that predated Rishi Sunak". Yeah, right. "Dog ate my homework" territory. If only he'd trotted out that "There's no money left" note just one more time.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023

I don't understand Sunak. If you're boring and sensible, be boring and sensible. That was his only strategy to win, or lose respectably, and he has blown it completely.

He's instinctively really right wing and he naturally tries to ape the Republicans as he spends a lot of his time there.

If he was sensible and boring he wouldn't have been a Brexiter, which is by nature not sensible nor boring.
  • Haha. Hands with "legacy issues that predated Rishi Sunak". Yeah, right. "Dog ate my homework" territory. If only he'd trotted out that "There's no money left" note just one more time.

He said the by elections were caused by legacy issues that predated Rishi
    Sunak, which is true. They were pure Boris.

• briantrumpet
    Jeez, I think they are eyeing up jobs as sit-down comedians. "They weren't gigantic by-election defeats" is a corker of a line.

• Jeez, I think they are eyeing up jobs as sit-down comedians. "They weren't gigantic by-election defeats" is a corker of a line.

That is astonishing.
  • First.Aspect
    These aren't the droids you are looking for.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    Stevo_666 said:

Thank God Labour will be in soon, "WE ARE ARE SAVED!".
    "SAVED!"
    "Where is all the housing they promised?"
    "Why is inflation so high?"
    "Why isn't the economy growing?"
    "Why is everyone striking?"
    "Why hasn't the why been sorted yet?"

Have you no faith in the leftie magic wand?
    "Obliviate"

"Obliviate"

"Obliviate"

• Jezyboy

Jeez, I think they are eyeing up jobs as sit-down comedians. "They weren't gigantic by-election defeats" is a corker of a line.

That is astonishing.
    I think "we recognize the extent of the swing, but are going to be working hard until the next election to ensure our core support turns out" would be a little better.

After all, in isolation, some of the points are valid. It would seem unlikely that these constituencies will stay red at the next election.
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

That is astonishing.
    I think "we recognize the extent of the swing, but are going to be working hard until the next election to ensure our core support turns out" would be a little better.

After all, in isolation, some of the points are valid. It would seem unlikely that these constituencies will stay red at the next election.

Not so sure. The weather was foul, which normally favours the Tories, yet Labour still bagged both. They illustrate that even die-hard Tories can't be bothered with Team Sunak. Also that voters will vote tatically, even if the parties aren't making concessions to each other.

Having said that, I don't think Labour will cry too much if they don't retain them, but the newsworthiness of the swings will be helpful in any case.
  • briantrumpet
    So now the swing to Labour is not a swing to Labour, and all they have to do is to concentrate on the five priorities. Great rictus smile too. She'll have to work on that a bit more to make it on the comedy circuit.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    The two new MPs won't be too unhappy if they've only borrowed the seat for a year. It will give them a couple of grand on their pensions even if they never get re-elected. Not sure how much of the 'Resettlement Grant' they'd be entitled to, a single full term would be 50% of the £86k salary but I don't know if that is prorated.
  • but..but…don’t the voters in these 2 constituencies drive cars?

#waronmotorists

Or was there a problem with ID due to lack of driving licences. Yeah no swing to labour.
  • Jezyboy

Jezyboy said:

That is astonishing.

Not so sure. The weather was foul, which normally favours the Tories, yet Labour still bagged both. They illustrate that even die-hard Tories can't be bothered with Team Sunak. Also that voters will vote tatically, even if the parties aren't making concessions to each other.

Having said that, I don't think Labour will cry too much if they don't retain them, but the newsworthiness of the swings will be helpful in any case.
    I think a fair few of the tory die hards who stayed at home are more likely to turn out in a GE.

However, I don't think the way to motivate them is trying to convince the media that there isn't a swing.
  • briantrumpet
    For those who Twit, this is actually an interesting thread: the sort of things that the press and Tories are saying about Labour now were almost exactly the same sort of things they were saying about Blair back then, including a comment from Brian Eno's diary criticising Blair for "not venturing a controversial opinion on anything".

• rick_chasey
    edited October 2023

For those who Twit, this is actually an interesting thread: the sort of things that the press and Tories are saying about Labour now were almost exactly the same sort of things they were saying about Blair back then, including a comment from Brian Eno's diary criticising Blair for "not venturing a controversial opinion on anything".

Study enough history and you’ll realise anything about behaviour, collective or otherwise has been the same basically forever.

Nothing is ever new, only technology and certainly not politics.
  • Jezyboy

I think Starmer is no Tony Blair. But then I guess Sunak is no John Major...

• rick_chasey

Andrew Neil doesn’t agree with you.

• That's why so many people are voting Labour, I guess.
  • ‘Not Tory enough’ bothers me. It has Truss under currents.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It’s difficult to Blame Rishi for the fact they were already miles behind in the polls and unlikely to recover just by the very nature of politics.

However, the fact he’s made 0 effort to stand for anything positive is 100% his problem.

It’s just a load of reactionary nonsense.

F’in war on motorists BS, stop the boats, cancel culture, woke agenda. Blah, blah, blah.

Conservatism: Definition. Finding victimhood in an objectively privileged position.