2024 Election thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2023

IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

How did they do that?!
    massive hike in personal taxation, they could have pursued other sources of revenue to keep money in people's pockets.

There was some shouting about the Govt subsidising mortgage increases. I am not saying this was ever likely but is the sort of vote winner that they could have done.

You are well aware that public sector pay restraint is as much about managing expectations as the immediate outcome.

It would have been fairly mainstream to have an expansionary fiscal policy to up the rate of growth and say to hell with inflation as it will sort itself out.

Whilst they set an easy target they should be given credit for having a "policy" and sticking to it.
    Err no. That would be absolutely bonkers. A PM suggested that and she lasted 6 weeks

• IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

How did they do that?!
    massive hike in personal taxation, they could have pursued other sources of revenue to keep money in people's pockets.

There was some shouting about the Govt subsidising mortgage increases. I am not saying this was ever likely but is the sort of vote winner that they could have done.

You are well aware that public sector pay restraint is as much about managing expectations as the immediate outcome.

It would have been fairly mainstream to have an expansionary fiscal policy to up the rate of growth and say to hell with inflation as it will sort itself out.

Whilst they set an easy target they should be given credit for having a "policy" and sticking to it.
    Have you worked out how to vote now that red Johnson is no longer there?
    Don't tell anybody but I never bother to vote.

I see mass abstentions as the only way towards a change in electoral system.

My lack of voting has never decided the otcome of an election. The closest was Ed Davey in 1997 who won by 56 votes but I would have voted for him so that would have been irrelevant.

The last two times I voted I lost so am starting to think I am cursed so even if there was a referendum on voting reform it would probably be best to skip it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975
    edited November 2023
    Imagine the outcome if everyone who doesn't vote did something different and voted for The Monster Raving Lunatic Party (or equivalent). That would bring about change.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

• IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

How did they do that?!

No, it's the BoE remit to control inflation, if this would have happened it would have created higher inflation meaning the BoE would have raised IRs even further.

How can you stimulate an economy and control inflation when you aren't in control of IRs?
  • This was half the reason Truss wanted to remove that control from the BoE. Personally, I think it's great the BoE do control IRs. Although that being said they were slow off the mark and Bailey should never have told people "Don't ask for a pay rise", without taking a pay cut himself that goes for MPs too.

Lead by example. We need that, it's not do as I say not what I do.
  • Lead by example!
  • pblakeney said:

Imagine the outcome if everyone who doesn't vote did something different and voted for The Monster Raving Lunatic Party (or equivalent). That would bring about change.

That would make no difference in my constituency
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615

Whilst I would not agree with SteveO’s use of the word “bile” I do think you lot are incapable of rationally talking about the Tories.

IMHO they prioritised inflation over economic growth and achieved the (soft) target that they set themselves.

Much of their impact has been through things that they did not do but that is just as valid.

I may be making a point with my choice of words but when phrases such as 'Tory scum', 'awful human being' and all sorts personal attacks on tory politicians crop up pretty frequently on here, I think it's justified.

But you're spot on, most people on here seem to be incapable of rational debate about the Tories.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

How did they do that?!

No, it's the BoE remit to control inflation, if this would have happened it would have created higher inflation meaning the BoE would have raised IRs even further.

How can you stimulate an economy and control inflation when you aren't in control of IRs?
    Two scenarios that they did not do.

Remove interest rate policy from the BofE

Agree with everybody on here that inflation is down to external factors and go for fiscal expansion knowing that the external factors will reduce inflation.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,098

How did they do that?!

'Other sources of revenue'

😆
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

How did they do that?!

Have you worked out how to vote now that red Johnson is no longer there?
    Don't tell anybody but I never bother to vote.

I see mass abstentions as the only way towards a change in electoral system.

My lack of voting has never decided the otcome of an election. The closest was Ed Davey in 1997 who won by 56 votes but I would have voted for him so that would have been irrelevant.

The last two times I voted I lost so am starting to think I am cursed so even if there was a referendum on voting reform it would probably be best to skip it.
    🤦🏻‍♂️
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

How did they do that?!

Agree with everybody on here that inflation is down to external factors and go for fiscal expansion knowing that the external factors will reduce inflation.
    They also didn't invade France. I suppose they should have a round of applause for that, too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

Whilst I would not agree with SteveO’s use of the word “bile” I do think you lot are incapable of rationally talking about the Tories.

Much of their impact has been through things that they did not do but that is just as valid.

I may be making a point with my choice of words but when phrases such as 'Tory scum', 'awful human being' and all sorts personal attacks on tory politicians crop up pretty frequently on here, I think it's justified.

But you're spot on, most people on here seem to be incapable of rational debate about the Tories.
    When you have Tory Politicians calling homelessness a 'Lifestyle Choice' - I'd say they're fair game.
  • Shocking I haven't received at least twenty likes for my posts!

It's lucky it's sunny today or I'd have the right hump.
  • Oh, can we keep a limit on the bile please.

Store it up for when Labour have their foot in the door.
  • rjsterry said:

How did they do that?!

They also didn't invade France. I suppose they should have a round of applause for that, too.
    You would still moan about the Tories even if they did invade France
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

When you have Tory Politicians calling homelessness a 'Lifestyle Choice' - I'd say they're fair game.
    Two wrongs...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Oh, can we keep a limit on the bile please.

Store it up for when Labour have their foot in the door.

Don't worry, I'm getting ready. Will be quite fun when the boot is on the other foot :)
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

How did they do that?!

You would still moan about the Tories even if they did invade France
    :smiley:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975

pblakeney said:

It would elsewhere though. And that might lead to proportional representation, which would impact you. Not voting is acceptance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It would elsewhere though. And that might lead to proportional representation, which would impact you. Not voting is acceptance.
    But I don't vote or think on behalf of other people and am not prepared to move.
  • It was standing room only at tonight’s council planning meeting, where all Leverhulme applications were rejected.

Labour campaigner Gail Jenkinson, who started the campaign against these developments, collecting almost 5000 signatures, said, “Congratulations to the council and to everyone who signed the petition or put in objections.

“The developments would have been catastrophic, in my opinion. They are close to Arrowe Brook which has a history of flooding near the brook in Greasby and four sewage release spots in Greasby and Saughall Massie. New building nearby is not going to help matters in the least.”

Wirral Labour opposes building on greenbelt land, with a policy of regenerating brownfield sites into new homes.
    https://www.birkenhead.news/council-reject-all-leverhulme-planning-applications/
    Margaret Greenwood is the Labour MP for Wirral West.

To what extent will Labour tear up the planning regulations/laws will be interesting. To what extent will building become a free for all?

I can see both sides of the argument.
  • It was standing room only at tonight’s council planning meeting, where all Leverhulme applications were rejected.

Labour campaigner Gail Jenkinson, who started the campaign against these developments, collecting almost 5000 signatures, said, “Congratulations to the council and to everyone who signed the petition or put in objections.

“The developments would have been catastrophic, in my opinion. They are close to Arrowe Brook which has a history of flooding near the brook in Greasby and four sewage release spots in Greasby and Saughall Massie. New building nearby is not going to help matters in the least.”

Wirral Labour opposes building on greenbelt land, with a policy of regenerating brownfield sites into new homes.
    https://www.birkenhead.news/council-reject-all-leverhulme-planning-applications/

To what extent will Labour tear up the planning regulations/laws will be interesting. To what extent will building become a free for all?

Not being familiar with Liverpool could you confirm whether a sewage release point is counted as brownfield or greenfield?

Not being familiar with Liverpool could you confirm whether a sewage release point is counted as brownfield or greenfield?
    All I know is a developer found some land which was viable to build on and it got rejected. I guess it's come to less desirable locations have to be considered, because...

Labour can rip up the planning rule book all they want, get that passed the locals though.
  • Starmer is intelligent and at least he's no Corbyn (was tolerated after the financial crisis). We might as well start taking about their policy commitments. We all know they're in.
  • Stevo_666

It was standing room only at tonight’s council planning meeting, where all Leverhulme applications were rejected.

There are those in the housebuilding industry who think that Labour's attempt to do that will have precisely zero impact on the number of houses being built for at least 5 years.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/04/keir-starmer-labour-housing-crest-nicholson-property/
  • Stevo_666 said:

It was standing room only at tonight’s council planning meeting, where all Leverhulme applications were rejected.

There are those in the housebuilding industry who think that Labour's attempt to do that will have precisely zero impact on the number of houses being built for at least 5 years.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/04/keir-starmer-labour-housing-crest-nicholson-property/
    Yep, it wouldn't surprise me either.

If he can't keep that pledge/promise he's lost the youth. All he could do is point to the equal lack of progress from the Tories and people are sick/tired of the blame game.
  • Actually, of course it extends the youth in today's society.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Peter Truscott did not say 'precisely zero'. Given there's potentially a year of Conservative government to go, five years sounds pretty ambitious to reform something as utterly dysfunctional as the planning system. It's a fair point that clarity on exactly which bits of land will be redesignated is essential to making that release of land happen.

They also need to address a political culture that rewards objecting to anything and everything. That applies across the political spectrum.
    Pinnacle Monzonite