2024 Election thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

‘Not Tory enough’ bothers me. It has Truss under currents.

By "Tory enough" I think he means "UKIP-Britain First enough", because that's where their hearts lie now. Farage has been the cuckoo who pushed all the other eggs out of the nest.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    morstar said:

It’s difficult to Blame Rishi for the fact they were already miles behind in the polls and unlikely to recover just by the very nature of politics.

However, the fact he’s made 0 effort to stand for anything positive is 100% his problem.

It’s just a load of reactionary nonsense.

F’in war on motorists BS, stop the boats, cancel culture, woke agenda. Blah, blah, blah.

Conservatism: Definition. Finding victimhood in an objectively privileged position.

He’s been in charge of the economy for 4 years
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,102
    Chancellors aren't in charge of the economy. Even if they often pretend to be. I do wish they stop doing that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

It’s difficult to Blame Rishi for the fact they were already miles behind in the polls and unlikely to recover just by the very nature of politics.

However, the fact he’s made 0 effort to stand for anything positive is 100% his problem.

It’s just a load of reactionary nonsense.

F’in war on motorists BS, stop the boats, cancel culture, woke agenda. Blah, blah, blah.

Conservatism: Definition. Finding victimhood in an objectively privileged position.

He’s been in charge of the economy for 4 years
    But he wasn’t the leader that dragged standards into the gutter or the leader that blew up the economy.

FFS, he’s evidently useless as a PM but was still the better option of the two available last year.

He is both representative and symptomatic of the Tories party c. 2023.

The only question that actually matters now is whether they realign or double down on stupid when in opposition.

I hope for one and fear the other.
  • rick_chasey
    As I said before, he is a Brexiter so he is demonstrably not sensible.
  • briantrumpet

I genuinely think that still to be sticking with any justification for Brexit requires a mindset where any pragmatism or honest reflection must be banished.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It’s that time of year when I need to thank Father Christmas Rick as I have had notification of my £500 winter fuel allowance.
    I think I will be buying some Tartan trews and a waistcoat in my clan colours for the village Burns night in January.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023

I genuinely think that still to be sticking with any justification for Brexit requires a mindset where any pragmatism or honest reflection must be banished.
    Yes which is why this idea that he was going to be sensible was ludicrous.

We knew this for ages.

He was only popular when he made the money machine go brrrr in covid. Like a good populist.
  • briantrumpet

Yes which is why this idea that he was going to be sensible was ludicrous.

We knew this for ages.

He was only popular when he made the money machine go brrrr in covid. Like a good populist.

I admit I was too optimistic that not only virtually anyone would be better than the narcissistic, lazy, unprincipled Johnson, but that there might be enough pragmatism from a Tory who was an MP for a party that used to pride itself on making decisions that ultimately would be good for business (as with Thatcher and the establishment of the Single Market) to at least soften the edges of Brexit. I was obviously very wrong.

His ability to be totally cloth-eared now about, well, pretty much everything (from his use of a private jet at our expense, to even now suggesting tax cuts for the wealthiest in society and "Fvck the climate") for a few votes, should be enough to consign him to the same dustbin of history as Johnson & Truss.
  • briantrumpet
    Gee, who'd have thought?

It must have come as another bitter blow to Downing Street. Net zero scepticism, it would seem, is not the cut-through, electorally galvanising political cause that some would like to believe.

When the London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, pushed ahead with plans to extend the capital’s ultra-low emissions zone to outer boroughs, many voters saw red, and it cost Labour the Uxbridge by-election.

By campaigning aggressively against the move, the Tories managed to hold onto a seat they were widely expected to lose.

This encouraged the Prime Minister to believe there might also be votes in the entire environmental agenda, where he had long harboured doubts, including some of the measures deemed necessary to meet the legally binding ambition of net zero by 2050.

Confronted by the costs, these seemed to be the subject of a growing public backlash, not just in Uxbridge, but around the world.

Sadly for Rishi Sunak, this has turned out not to be the case, thus far and in Britain at least.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/10/22/net-zero-scepticism-tories-struggle-gain-political-traction/
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Binning off net zero is such an odd look. Given they renamed the department for business, energy and industrial strategy, the department for energy security and net zero!

I guess it's just that he's a wannabe Republican.
  • rick_chasey
    I think Heather is referring to motherland?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Should this now be the 2025 electron thread?
  • briantrumpet
    They've definitely given up on pretending they care any more... they'll just do as much as they can to enrich themselves and their donors now, and lay as many booby traps as they can.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540

They've definitely given up on pretending they care any more... they'll just do as much as they can to enrich themselves and their donors now, and lay as many booby traps as they can.

That was just EU nonsense though and deserves to be repealed.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes, incentivising gigantic base salaries does not a more stable bank make.
  • briantrumpet

That was just EU nonsense though and deserves to be repealed.

Maybe, but it seems like a death wish to do it now
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    And anyway, the 2010s were the era of PE and other private markets not IBs.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Should this now be the 2025 electron thread?

I can't see him pushing it to Jan 2025. (10%). The electorate will batter him for that

I'd say any possibility the Spring is looking faint (10%)

Oct 24 looks like the most likely (80%)

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

If performance is so variable that you need to adjust take home salaries with bonuses of over 200%, it doesn't sound like a stable business.
  • First.Aspect
    It is the sort of behaviours it encourages that you need to worry about.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    Jezyboy said:

If performance is so variable that you need to adjust take home salaries with bonuses of over 200%, it doesn't sound like a stable business.
    Many of the business lines of investment banks are in are very choppy by nature. Lot of lines of business are *extremely* profitable in a very narrow time window.

If you bring in £100m of revenue 3 years running, but the next 4 years it's £10m because the window has closed and the cycle has turned (or your rivals worked out your secret sauce and copied) how do you reward that appropriately?

If you're competing for the few people who can do the above, because you want those 3 years of £100m revenues, you are often competing on pay. If you're limited to 200% of your base, the base salaries can get stupidly high very quickly.

Also, banks are just part of the wider FS ecosystem and it makes it harder to shift talent between FS industries as the base salaries are so out of whack; it's not efficient.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Pross said:

Must be a bit disappointing when you have your conference with all your big, exciting announcements for getting the country moving forward and you get no improvement in your ratings. It's almost as if they have lost touch with the things that actually matter to the majority of the electorate and that the war on woke / green issues isn't the big vote winner they thought.

War on woke has gone mad. I saw one quote from the conference say it was "great they were scrapping that woke HS2"...how can transport infrastructure projects be woke?!
    Trains are woke, cars are anti woke, unless they are EVs then they are woke too.

In the same vein flood defences are woke.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    A bit baffled by the big demands for have Britain "call for a humanitarian ceasefire" if that makes a blind bit of difference. Would be good to focus on things Britain can actually control.

Deeply cynical about the aid that Britain has promised to send to gaza. How is it going to get there, and to whom exactly?
  • First.Aspect

A bit baffled by the big demands for have Britain "call for a humanitarian ceasefire" if that makes a blind bit of difference.

Deeply cynical about the aid that Britian has promised to send to gaza. How is it going to get there, and to whom exactly?

It will go to the UN 9r the Red Crescent I'd expect. And via Egypt, to the extent that Israel will allow.

I am not sure what else the UK is supposed to say, other than what Israel's other allies are saying.

• rick_chasey

I am not sure what else the UK is supposed to say, other than what Israel's other allies are saying.

Bluntly I think PMQs and parliamentary time should be focused on things the British gov't can control.
  • First.Aspect

Bluntly I think PMQs and parliamentary time should be focused on things the British gov't can control.
    Nonsense. This is about foreign policy.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    "Calling for a ceasefire", like anyone gives a sh!t.

How self centered do you need to be for that to be worth discussing?!
  • First.Aspect

"Calling for a ceasefire", like anyone gives a sh!t.

How self centered do you need to be for that to be worth discussing?!

What are you Swiss or something?