2024 Election thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Imagine the outcome if everyone who doesn't vote did something different and voted for The Monster Raving Lunatic Party (or equivalent). That would bring about change.

That would make no difference in my constituency
    It would elsewhere though. And that might lead to proportional representation, which would impact you. Not voting is acceptance.
    But I don't vote or think on behalf of other people and am not prepared to move.
    Acceptance it is then.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was standing room only at tonight’s council planning meeting, where all Leverhulme applications were rejected.

Labour campaigner Gail Jenkinson, who started the campaign against these developments, collecting almost 5000 signatures, said, “Congratulations to the council and to everyone who signed the petition or put in objections.

“The developments would have been catastrophic, in my opinion. They are close to Arrowe Brook which has a history of flooding near the brook in Greasby and four sewage release spots in Greasby and Saughall Massie. New building nearby is not going to help matters in the least.”

Wirral Labour opposes building on greenbelt land, with a policy of regenerating brownfield sites into new homes.
    https://www.birkenhead.news/council-reject-all-leverhulme-planning-applications/
    Margaret Greenwood is the Labour MP for Wirral West.

To what extent will Labour tear up the planning regulations/laws will be interesting. To what extent will building become a free for all?

I can see both sides of the argument.
    There are those in the housebuilding industry who think that Labour's attempt to do that will have precisely zero impact on the number of houses being built for at least 5 years.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/04/keir-starmer-labour-housing-crest-nicholson-property/
    Peter Truscott did not say 'precisely zero'. Given there's potentially a year of Conservative government to go, five years sounds pretty ambitious to reform something as utterly dysfunctional as the planning system. It's a fair point that clarity on exactly which bits of land will be redesignated is essential to making that release of land happen.

They also need to address a political culture that rewards objecting to anything and everything. That applies across the political spectrum.
    He's far from positive about Labour's policy, wouldn't you say? So either Labour are being naively optimistic about their housing policy or cynically trying to get votes by promising something they know won't work. Which one do you think is closer to the truth?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was standing room only at tonight’s council planning meeting, where all Leverhulme applications were rejected.

Labour campaigner Gail Jenkinson, who started the campaign against these developments, collecting almost 5000 signatures, said, “Congratulations to the council and to everyone who signed the petition or put in objections.

“The developments would have been catastrophic, in my opinion. They are close to Arrowe Brook which has a history of flooding near the brook in Greasby and four sewage release spots in Greasby and Saughall Massie. New building nearby is not going to help matters in the least.”

Wirral Labour opposes building on greenbelt land, with a policy of regenerating brownfield sites into new homes.
    https://www.birkenhead.news/council-reject-all-leverhulme-planning-applications/
    Margaret Greenwood is the Labour MP for Wirral West.

To what extent will Labour tear up the planning regulations/laws will be interesting. To what extent will building become a free for all?

I can see both sides of the argument.
    There are those in the housebuilding industry who think that Labour's attempt to do that will have precisely zero impact on the number of houses being built for at least 5 years.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/04/keir-starmer-labour-housing-crest-nicholson-property/
    Peter Truscott did not say 'precisely zero'. Given there's potentially a year of Conservative government to go, five years sounds pretty ambitious to reform something as utterly dysfunctional as the planning system. It's a fair point that clarity on exactly which bits of land will be redesignated is essential to making that release of land happen.

They also need to address a political culture that rewards objecting to anything and everything. That applies across the political spectrum.
    He's far from positive about Labour's policy, wouldn't you say? So either Labour are being naively optimistic about their housing policy or cynically trying to get votes by promising something they know won't work. Which one do you think is closer to the truth?
    I think it's got a long way to go as a workable policy. I can't tell whether they will flesh it out sufficiently and neither can Mr Truscott. As a general aspiration I think it's pointing in the right direction. Given the average voter's engagement with details I don't know how much further they need to go to win votes (which matters more than pleasing the dude from Crest Nicholson or my profession) but if it is going to be more than just another unfulfilled promise then it needs far more than reclassifying some land. The system is currently a huge bottle neck for business. When getting planning consent for a medium sized development of housing can easily take 2 or 3 years, you can see why I think a 5-year turnaround would be pretty quick. It's just massively underfunded and consequently underskilled.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Stevo_666 said:

Oh, can we keep a limit on the bile please.

Store it up for when Labour have their foot in the door.

Don't worry, I'm getting ready. Will be quite fun when the boot is on the other foot :)

I suspect that if the Labour Government is as incompetent, mendacious and corrupt as the the current government, Cake Stop will be equally critical (even if it would be quite an achieement to reach the same levels of dysfunction). You forget that several Cakestoppers, including me, have voted Conservative in the past, though I appreciate that that doesn't fit your narrative. W&G summed it up pretty well.

FWIW, Private Eye is starting to take aim at Labour already - they're not going to get a free ride, however happy people are to send the current Tory Party off to the long grass for long enough for them to work out whether they want to be Farage wannabes or Tories.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Don't worry, I'm getting ready. Will be quite fun when the boot is on the other foot :)

I suspect that if the Labour Government is as incompetent, mendacious and corrupt as the the current government, Cake Stop will be equally critical (even if it would be quite an achieement to reach the same levels of dysfunction). You forget that several Cakestoppers, including me, have voted Conservative in the past, though I appreciate that that doesn't fit your narrative. W&G summed it up pretty well.

FWIW, Private Eye is starting to take aim at Labour already - they're not going to get a free ride, however happy people are to send the current Tory Party off to the long grass for long enough for them to work out whether they want to be Farage wannabes or Tories.
    I'm not so sure, as there seem to be a lot of people who claim not to be Labour supporters who come out to defend them when I criticise. Shy lefties maybe? But I'll have fun sticking the boot in regardless :smile:

I know you once voted Tory but it appears that you are now the Carol Vorderman of Cake Stop.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

I think we are well past the stage when they are criticised whatever they do.

Many of Boris's economic policies would have made Blair blush and yet were roundly criticised on here
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660

Stevo_666 said:

Many of Boris's economic policies would have made Blair blush and yet were roundly criticised on here
    Like what?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not so sure, as there seem to be a lot of people who claim not to be Labour supporters who come out to defend them when I criticise. Shy lefties maybe? But I'll have fun sticking the boot in regardless :smile:

I know you once voted Tory but it appears that you are now the Carol Vorderman of Cake Stop.
    Ouch!
  • Ummmm, is Brian good at maths?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

but it appears that you are now the Carol Vorderman of Cake Stop.

I'm not sure that that's the zinger that you think it is. I'd rather be her than Nads. Or Leadsom. Or Jenkyns. Or... well I could go on.

My vote at the moment is only anti-Tory (not pro-Labour - as I've said before, I'll vote for whoever will oust the Tory incumbent), because they have shifted into Britain First territory, and are incompetent. Brexit broke them. And it's a genuine shame. I really would like a sensible Tory Party back.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Like what?
    Record borrowing
    record levels of taxation
    Energy price cap
    Nationalising chunks of the railways
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Like what?
    Record borrowing
    Energy price cap
    Why are you annoyed they were criticised for that?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not sure that that's the zinger that you think it is. I'd rather be her than Nads. Or Leadsom. Or Jenkyns. Or... well I could go on.

My vote at the moment is only anti-Tory (not pro-Labour - as I've said before, I'll vote for whoever will oust the Tory incumbent), because they have shifted into Britain First territory, and are incompetent. Brexit broke them. And it's a genuine shame. I really would like a sensible Tory Party back.
    A couple of people appreciated it even if you didn't ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097

Stevo_666 said:

Like what?
    Record borrowing
    Energy price cap
    Renationalising the railways was not a policy - in the sense of a thought-through plan of actions - it was just a functional necessity to overcome the problems of trying to run public transport when you have made everyone work from home.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • American journalist Stryker McGuire wrote the magazine article that initiated the 'Cool Britannia' phenomenon in 1996. Back then, the City was the engine of our prosperity, British music, nightlife, art and fashion were the best in the world, and a young, dynamic Tony Blair was about to topple the Tories.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/mar/29/cool-britannia-g20-blair-brown
    The problem with Starmer is he hasn't got to that charisma Blair had which helped kick off Cool Britannia.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Britannia

We need that pizzazz to help generate some much needed pride in Britain and economic growth along with it.

I hope I'm wrong.
  • Stevo_666

American journalist Stryker McGuire wrote the magazine article that initiated the 'Cool Britannia' phenomenon in 1996. Back then, the City was the engine of our prosperity, British music, nightlife, art and fashion were the best in the world, and a young, dynamic Tony Blair was about to topple the Tories.
    The problem with Starmer is he hasn't got to that charisma Blair had which helped kick off Cool Britannia.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Britannia

We need that pizzazz to help generate some much needed pride in Britain and economic growth along with it.

I hope I'm wrong.
    You won't get that by voting Labour.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why am I not surprised that your doppelgänger Shortfall was one of them? 🤔😜
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

American journalist Stryker McGuire wrote the magazine article that initiated the 'Cool Britannia' phenomenon in 1996. Back then, the City was the engine of our prosperity, British music, nightlife, art and fashion were the best in the world, and a young, dynamic Tony Blair was about to topple the Tories.

I hope I'm wrong.
    You won't get that by voting Labour.
    I mean, the previous Tory government then literally tried to ban dance music so have a think about that one.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I never claimed that my 'Brian Vorderman' post was a 'zinger' but the fact that you had to claim it wasn't is quite telling :smile:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can you blame people for having a sense of humour?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He liked your post so how can he be a doppel whatever?

He used to post on here quite a lot but all you pothead horse eating wine and coffee snobs wore him down into observational silence.

Oh, by the way greatness is expected to launch today.
  • 🚀
  • One small step for man...

Wow!
  • Carry a payload of 100-150 tonnes!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603

Carry a payload of 100-150 tonnes!

They've lost contact...

Not sure what this has to do with the 2024 election FZ?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Carry a payload of 100-150 tonnes!

Gosh, that was incredible, it makes all this talk about elections seem very boring.

Congratulations to SpaceX!
    Yes, exactly Pangolin the 2nd
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can you blame people for having a sense of humour?

My getting a like from Shortfall is actually quite funny.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    pangolin said:

They've lost contact...
    Last time they claimed it blowing up was the plan all along so this is a significant improvement...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

pangolin said:

They've lost contact...
    Last time they claimed it blowing up was the plan all along so this is a significant improvement...

Since June 2010, rockets from the Falcon 9 family have been launched 281 times, with 279 full mission successes, one partial failure and one total loss of the spacecraft.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches#:~:text=Since June 2010, rockets from,total loss of the spacecraft.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,925
    edited November 2023
    Anyway, Labour are in, will they be able to keep their policy pledges?

The Tories certainly couldn't.