2024 Election thread

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    Wow that's bad. Also alarming is that despite the smaller number of women in tech 70% of the recent tech layoffs were women! That must leave the under representation even more severe
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

Wow that's bad. Also alarming is that despite the smaller number of women in tech 70% of the recent tech layoffs were women! That must leave the under representation even more severe
    My company has an IT development centre in Bangkok, and it is completely the other way round, probably 80% women. Shows that it is purely just a cultural thing, however ingrained it may seem.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2023

Yeah.

I appreciate there is a lot of scaremongering about this, and a lot of it is nonsense - I’m sure the vast vast majority of trans people are absolutely fine - but to legislate for them is to open the door to abuse by men who have no intention to be women.

This is a great example. There are reasons why women need spaces away from men, as much as there are reasons that trans people need more protection.

Problem is so far is it’s zero sun and that rights for one hurt rights of the other.

(I also struggle a bit with the emperors new clothes element to it, but I guess I just put that aside because if they are sincere it’s worse for them, presumably)
  • rick_chasey
    Rachel Reeves seems to get very positive reviews from business (though I think it's just a case of anyone who isn't a total populist moron), and i'm pleased the (shadow) chancellor has an economics degree so at least there is a genuine level of understanding.

I do worry she is not a free marketeer enough. She's very much into heavy state intervention in the free markets, which would be fine if we haven't had a tonne of that already without any success.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    This might support Starmer's caution in matters European and otherwise:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2023/oct/09/working-class-deserting-tories-in-droves-under-rishi-sunak-poll-finds

Working-class people who were a key part of the coalition of voters that delivered the Conservatives’ 2019 general election win have been deserting the party in droves under Rishi Sunak’s leadership, polling has found.

Only 44% of working-class voters who voted for the Tories in 2019 say they will back the party next time, according to research by YouGov released as Keir Starmer prepares to make what will probably be his last pitch for support at a Labour conference before a general election.

A report released by the centre-left thinktank Progressive Policy Institute, which commissioned the findings, said Labour’s lead was much narrower with working-class voters than the wider electorate and urged Starmer’s party to redouble its efforts to woo them.

But on grounds where the Tories were seeming to exploit, working-class voters were more negative than positive on the effects of immigration.

However, as net zero becomes increasingly central as a battleground, other findings around attitudes towards the climate crisis showed there was an awareness of it across all social groups, with more working-class voters saying the government is not doing or spending enough to try to reduce carbon emissions (34%).

At the same time, there were stark signs that Sunak’s recent pivot away from green polices and tactics such as campaigning around London’s Ulez driving charge could find more widespread traction. A total of 53% of working-class voters agree that it is important to combat the climate emergency but “people like me should not be paying the cost of policies to reduce global carbon emissions”.

In short, I think Labour need to keep their discipline over messaging on several fronts, as there's still a significant number of 'working class' people who think that the Tories give a hoot about their plight and aren't utterly incompetent. However bemusing that is, that's what's implied here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

In short, I think Labour need to keep their discipline over messaging on several fronts, as there's still a significant number of 'working class' people who think that the Tories give a hoot about their plight and aren't utterly incompetent. However bemusing that is, that's what's implied here.

What is also implied is people care about global warming, as long as it doesn't inconvenience them.

“people like me should not be paying the cost of policies to reduce global carbon emissions”
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

What is also implied is people care about global warming, as long as it doesn't inconvenience them.

“people like me should not be paying the cost of policies to reduce global carbon emissions”

Well yes. That sort of thing is a given - most people support more government spending on all sorts of vital stuff, but then any nuance or principles go out of the window at elections and they vote for the party who claims they'll cut tax for them personally.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    pblakeney said:

Yes I've noticed that argument a lot on the Tory side.

"working class people shouldn't have to pay more so that middle class people can drive electric cars conscious free".

Would be lovely if we moved away from the "being sustainable is inflationary so we can't do it" narrative to "look at what we're doing to make sustainability beneficial for everyone"?
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

Yes I've noticed that argument a lot on the Tory side.

"working class people shouldn't have to pay more so that middle class people can drive electric cars conscious free".

Would be lovely if we moved away from the "being sustainable is inflationary so we can't do it" narrative to "look at what we're doing to make sustainability beneficial for everyone"?

Indeed, hence the Tories' sudden concern for poor people "having to pay for ULEZ". It's merely tapping into that electoral gambit, rather than any concern for poor people.
  • rick_chasey
    It seems obvious, but the clue is in the name for "sustainability".

It also needs to be politically sustainable, else we're not gonna get there. If only the XR lot see that > they're the other side of the coin to the climate nihilists who think the human race are so stupid they won't save themselves, so why bother.
  • pblakeney

It also needs to be politically sustainable, else we're not gonna get there. If only the XR lot see that > they're the other side of the coin to the climate nihilists who think the human race are so stupid they won't save themselves, so why bother.

Sustainability will cost both in terms of cost and politics. There is no pleasant way to achieve it, other than wishful thinking. We should bother, but not delude ourselves.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Sustainability will cost both in terms of cost and politics. There is no pleasant way to achieve it, other than wishful thinking. We should bother, but not delude ourselves.
    If it's done right over the long term it won't cost more. A lot less, in fact.

And the longer you wait, the more it costs. Area under the graph innit.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

If it's done right over the long term it won't cost more. A lot less, in fact.

And the longer you wait, the more it costs. Area under the graph innit.

There's your problem: that's what politics will always be bad at... the next election is as far as they can see.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

If it's done right....
    🤣🤣🤣
    Wot Brian said. We can't even build a railway line.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

If only the XR lot see that > they're the other side of the coin to the climate nihilists who think the human race are so stupid they won't save themselves, so why bother.

• This might support Starmer's caution in matters European and otherwise:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2023/oct/09/working-class-deserting-tories-in-droves-under-rishi-sunak-poll-finds

Working-class people who were a key part of the coalition of voters that delivered the Conservatives’ 2019 general election win have been deserting the party in droves under Rishi Sunak’s leadership, polling has found.

Only 44% of working-class voters who voted for the Tories in 2019 say they will back the party next time, according to research by YouGov released as Keir Starmer prepares to make what will probably be his last pitch for support at a Labour conference before a general election.

A report released by the centre-left thinktank Progressive Policy Institute, which commissioned the findings, said Labour’s lead was much narrower with working-class voters than the wider electorate and urged Starmer’s party to redouble its efforts to woo them.

But on grounds where the Tories were seeming to exploit, working-class voters were more negative than positive on the effects of immigration.

However, as net zero becomes increasingly central as a battleground, other findings around attitudes towards the climate crisis showed there was an awareness of it across all social groups, with more working-class voters saying the government is not doing or spending enough to try to reduce carbon emissions (34%).

At the same time, there were stark signs that Sunak’s recent pivot away from green polices and tactics such as campaigning around London’s Ulez driving charge could find more widespread traction. A total of 53% of working-class voters agree that it is important to combat the climate emergency but “people like me should not be paying the cost of policies to reduce global carbon emissions”.

surely the major takeaway from that is that "they" think the Govt is not spending enough on combating climate change but "they" don't want to pay for it.

I am so confused I can't remember if anybody explained why we could not do QE indefinitely
  • pblakeney

If only the XR lot see that > they're the other side of the coin to the climate nihilists who think the human race are so stupid they won't save themselves, so why bother.

Try reading my posts in full.
    It won't be easy, it won't be pleasant, it won't be popular politically, it should be done.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Unsurprisingly, not many people give a sh!t about private school fees
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

But those that do will care a lot. The better question would be whether the policy will change votes to or from Labour.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

But those that do will care a lot. The better question would be whether the policy will change votes to or from Labour.
    No, the better question is whether it is so far off most peoples radar as to make no difference whatsoever. The no difference whatsoever question would be legitimate to ask about the tax take as well.

Is this just a policy directed to a specific audience within the party?
  • rick_chasey
    Yes obviously
  • First.Aspect

Yes obviously

Why post it then. You've wasted a part of the Internet.

• Unsurprisingly, not many people give a sh!t about private school fees
    No, the better question is whether it is so far off most peoples radar as to make no difference whatsoever. The no difference whatsoever question would be legitimate to ask about the tax take as well.

Is this just a policy directed to a specific audience within the party?
    It's provoked a response from the Conservatives calling it the "parent tax", so that's good for Labour.
  • briantrumpet
    Seems kinda significant... first Mark Carney, and now Max 'Telegraph' Hastings.

• pblakeney

Seems kinda significant... first Mark Carney, and now Max 'Telegraph' Hastings.

It's not over till our resident back-a-winner flips.
    Pigs flying over a frozen hell, but still...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I'm not quite sure I understand the SNP MP defecting to the Tories. That feels weird on a political level where I would have thought the Tories are about as far away on most issues and also means she's moving to a Party that appears doomed at the next election so it doesn't even seem like a wise move from a career perspective.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

I'm not quite sure I understand the SNP MP defecting to the Tories. That feels weird on a political level where I would have thought the Tories are about as far away on most issues and also means she's moving to a Party that appears doomed at the next election so it doesn't even seem like a wise move from a career perspective.

Sounds like someone wants to retire from politics without actually quitting.
    I'd guess she'd almost have a chance with any of the other parties.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The SNP are a broad political church with many of their number willing to hold their noses on general policy to rally around the independence cause. A couple of decades ago when one of their main levers was: what could we do with the oil money? they were referred to as the Tartan Tories.

Once you've rowed back from believing that independence is the way, as she has, any direction a leaver subsequently takes wouldn't surprise me.

Given that we've got PR in Scotland, I'm surprised there's not more independence parties. Maybe that's down to Westminster not having PR.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • First.Aspect

The SNP are a broad political church with many of their number willing to hold their noses on general policy to rally around the independence cause. A couple of decades ago when one of their main levers was: what could we do with the oil money? they were referred to as the Tartan Tories.

Once you've rowed back from believing that independence is the way, as she has, any direction a leaver subsequently takes wouldn't surprise me.

Given that we've got PR in Scotland, I'm surprised there's not more independence parties. Maybe that's down to Westminster not having PR.

There are two independence parties, ones just not very popular.

Anyone believing independence is a good thing will realise that it has to be a united cause. If there were multiple parties with different visions of what an independent Scotland would look like, the pro UK parties would find it much easier to point out they can't all be right. This in turn would fuel doubt.

Instead all of these desperate visions are united under a facade of unity, which is now crumbling.
  • The SNP are a broad political church with many of their number willing to hold their noses on general policy to rally around the independence cause. A couple of decades ago when one of their main levers was: what could we do with the oil money? they were referred to as the Tartan Tories.

There are two independence parties, ones just not very popular.

Anyone believing independence is a good thing will realise that it has to be a united cause. If there were multiple parties with different visions of what an independent Scotland would look like, the pro UK parties would find it much easier to point out they can't all be right. This in turn would fuel doubt.

Instead all of these desperate visions are united under a facade of unity, which is now crumbling.
    Actually, there might be 3. There's the nose pickers, Salmond's expulsion overflow party and do the Greens not come out for independence?

I think the case for independence would be stronger if there were people supporting it from a number of different political stand points.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body