2024 Election thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    So, BJ resigning was a temporary plus for the tories while Truss taking over was a disaster.
    Truss resigning was good for the tories but since then, meh.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

That's fantastic.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    She is blamed for the start of the cost of living crisis which for many people is the most pressing issue. It's not surprising.
  • They've only got Priti Patel to try next and they'll have had a go with the holders of all the great offices of state under Johnson.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Must be a bit disappointing when you have your conference with all your big, exciting announcements for getting the country moving forward and you get no improvement in your ratings. It's almost as if they have lost touch with the things that actually matter to the majority of the electorate and that the war on woke / green issues isn't the big vote winner they thought.
  • joeyhalloran
    Pross said:

Must be a bit disappointing when you have your conference with all your big, exciting announcements for getting the country moving forward and you get no improvement in your ratings. It's almost as if they have lost touch with the things that actually matter to the majority of the electorate and that the war on woke / green issues isn't the big vote winner they thought.

War on woke has gone mad. I saw one quote from the conference say it was "great they were scrapping that woke HS2"...how can transport infrastructure projects be woke?!
  • Woke is an invisible enemy. I doubt if most could tell you the names of the woke, how they mobilise, and even what woke means. And yet it is out there scaring the sh*t out of people with something to lose.

It’s the Jabberwokey, out to de-bank you and eat your privileges.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Woke is an invisible enemy. I doubt if most could tell you the names of the woke, how they mobilise, and even what woke means. And yet it is out there scaring the sh*t out of people with something to lose.

It’s the Jabberwokey, out to de-bank you and eat your privileges.

Woke, Blob, EU. Magic words, if you say them often enough. You just have to believe.

Or maybe not.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    What I find interesting is that milder bits of the culture wars definitely resonate with (older) people I meet in day to day life.

Yet it seems utterly dire as a core political philosophy.
  • Pross said:

War on woke has gone mad. I saw one quote from the conference say it was "great they were scrapping that woke HS2"...how can transport infrastructure projects be woke?!
    The Sun ran an article on HS2 Ltd having a diversity officer or some other nonsense and then claimed it as ‘woke HS2’ like that cost more then the tunnels through the Tory heartlands. It’s utterly pathetic.

Anything anyone right of centre disagrees with is ‘woke’
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

Pross said:

The Sun ran an article on HS2 Ltd having a diversity officer or some other nonsense and then claimed it as ‘woke HS2’ like that cost more then the tunnels through the Tory heartlands. It’s utterly pathetic.

It will be interesting what the Sun does when we get closer to the election. The Sun has the record of backing the winning party for 40 odd years, and they will likely want to keep that. I think they will need to hold their nose to back Starmer given he played a significant role in locking up their old editor, but I also think they will.
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

What I find interesting is that milder bits of the culture wars definitely resonate with (older) people I meet in day to day life.

That is a constant, and goes back millennia, to be fair. A hundred years ago, in America, swing music was decried as a symptom and cause of a fatal breakdown of society.

Yup, this is what heralded the horses of the apocalypse, according to some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBrMW5-F6nk&list=PL1qTRq3yOpo94EaQIMG8d-IflJ2uvUtdo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Pross said:

I’d be surprised if any organisation of that size didn’t have a diversity officer. The Sun probably has one or at least the parent company.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Jezyboy said:

That is a constant, and goes back millennia, to be fair. A hundred years ago, in America, swing music was decried as a symptom and cause of a fatal breakdown of society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBrMW5-F6nk&list=PL1qTRq3yOpo94EaQIMG8d-IflJ2uvUtdo

Doth mine ears detect the dulcet horn sound of young master trumpet..? ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Jezyboy said:

Doth mine ears detect the dulcet horn sound of young master trumpet..? ;)

Consulting my Basie bible (a remarkable book which catalogues pretty much every single Basie performance and recording, along with the personnel), I think it's probably Buck Clayton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-clKQaR5E
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

I’d be surprised if any organisation of that size didn’t have a diversity officer. The Sun probably has one or at least the parent company.
    Of course.

https://www.news.co.uk/latest-news/news-uk-names-shelley-bishton-as-head-of-diversity-equity-and-inclusion/
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Jezyboy said:

The trans/gender stuff is the strangest, I've yet to encounter anyone of any generation who talks about it but somehow Conservative politicians and their supporters in the press are obsessed by it.
  • briantrumpet

Jezyboy said:

The trans/gender stuff is the strangest, I've yet to encounter anyone of any generation who talks about it but somehow Conservative politicians and their supporters in the press are obsessed by it.

To be fair, IIRC, there was quite a lively debate on here a while ago, though also TBF no-one seemed obssessed by it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2023

Jezyboy said:

To be fair, IIRC, there was quite a lively debate on here a while ago, though also TBF no-one seemed obssessed by it.
    Might be different if there were either women or trans on this forum.

Women making out they’re men is less threatening than a man strolling through the changing room nefariously and falsely claiming trans/female identity.
  • And how often does the later happen?
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    Wouldn’t know I don’t frequent women’s only spaces.

I think in general it doesn’t happen often as there really aren’t many trans people, period.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

I think in general it doesn’t happen often as there really aren’t many trans people, period.

🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Jezyboy said:

Yes, people will have an opinion on it, I certainly get that, but from what I can tell it's not something that is a cornerstone of their politics.
  • Jezyboy

Jezyboy said:

I don't think many are obsessed with it, but I think a fair few would question whether it should be treated on the NHS. Having said that the waiting lists are very long, and the burden of showing your commitment to living as the opposite sex is quite high.

I think most are just happy to live and let live. For me it's quite an interesting issue as thinking you are in the wrong sexed body is an experience which is so far away from my own.

• Jezyboy

Pross said:

Pross said:

Of course.

https://www.news.co.uk/latest-news/news-uk-names-shelley-bishton-as-head-of-diversity-equity-and-inclusion/
    Presumably the sun will do an article trashing news UK for hiring for such a role.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Are we going back to the discussion about the Scottish legislation on gender identity?

That got so febrile because Sturgeon turned it into either you support the legislation entirely, or you are transphobic. That was always an ill judged position, and she was getting pretty despotic at that point.

The issue in the main was removing the safeguards for young people to change their gender identity. That part of the law essentially allowed someone over 16 to self-identify for a few months, and declare themselves to be the other gender, thereby providing access to medical treatment to give effect to that change.

Most of the informed professional concerns I heard, both in the press (for anyone who could stand the hate) and at home (from someone who works with damaged children) is that the law doesn't reflect human brain development, which doesn't stop until your mid 20s, sometimes later.

As an anecdote (and forgive the hypocrisy here) we know a young person, now late 20s, who identified as a gay woman for most of her youth, living with an older woman where there was something of a power imbalance. She then identified as a he (possibly a they, and what follows makes that understandable), started hormone treatment and was investigating surgery. Somewhere in the middle of this, she met a young heterosexual man and started his/their first relationship with this heterosexual man. The latest development is that the hormone treatment has now stopped while he/she/they thinks things through a bit more.

So what's happening there? Is that really a person assigned the wrong identity at birth striving against an oppressive system to be able to transition to who they really are, or is it someone with a potential history of one or both of emotional or sexual abuse who is in their first healthy relationship?

That person, under the new laws, would almost certainly have pushed forward with irrevocable surgical changes several years ago, had it been possible to do so.

Turning to the "how many men would really identify as a woman to ogle in gyms" sort of argument.

The answer seems to be not many, but enough to create fear and concern. But then that's in part based on how hard it is to legally change gender at the moment.

When the new legislation was expected to be imminent, we heard of two or three cases within the prison system where this seemed to be happening - but that seems to be because conditions in a woman's prison were regarded by some male prisoners as easier. But of course one can only speculate on motivations in each case. A problem in itself, not one that the SNP had considered or that the prison service had a solution for.

On balance, the safety concerns in wider society seem to have become inflated most because the SNP so badly botched the messaging in such a way as to stifle anything other than the two extreme positions.

Long post. Sorry.
  • joeyhalloran
    I'm confused about Tory voters. I watched a Joe Politics video interviewing some at the conference, I'm sure it was edited for comical value but comic it was. A lot of them seem to say the Conservatives stand up for traditional British values like the idea that the choice lies with the individual but then isn't immigration about people individual choosing where to live, transgender is people choosing which gender to be and legal euthanasia about choosing your own life choices?

It seems that being a Tory is about individual choices as long as those choices are the same as the party?
  • Jezyboy

I'm confused about Tory voters. I watched a Joe Politics video interviewing some at the conference, I'm sure it was edited for comical value but comic it was. A lot of them seem to say the Conservatives stand up for traditional British values like the idea that the choice lies with the individual but then isn't immigration about people individual choosing where to live, transgender is people choosing which gender to be and legal euthanasia about choosing your own life choices?

It seems that being a Tory is about individual choices as long as those choices are the same as the party?

Also see their latest ban on smoking!

Dare I say most people don't have a hardcore set of logically sound beliefs, so a vaguely skilled interviewer combined with a large enough selection of political fans can very quickly get some entertaining footage.

• rick_chasey
    (Have a look at some of the videos. A 40/60 men women split for a women only event is not great. Like I said, it impacts men less)