2024 Election thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Pross said:

It’s getting beyond parody now. If I was a dyed in the wool Tory I’d be furious at what these idiots are doing to the Party but it seems they’re still happy to support the team without question whilst chanting about how much it would be under the Lefties.

Can you imagine?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    We clearly didn't have enough centreleftiewhineybollox threads in Cake Stop judging by the fresh outpouring of bile on here. I can't keep up with it all :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Stevo_666 said:

We clearly didn't have enough centreleftiewhineybollox threads in Cake Stop judging by the fresh outpouring of bile on here. I can't keep up with it all :)

Think we're mostly just pointing and laughing at the ever decreasing circles but it's fun to have one loyalist.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

If you don't enjoy reading bile, I've no idea why you like the Telegraph so much, which spends most of its time complaining about the Blob, wokery, the EU, ECHR, the BBC, LGBT rights, LTNs, ULEZ etc. with bile meisters Hannan, Frost, Farrage, Ross Clark, Tom Harris, Nick Timothy, Allister Heath, Allison Pearson, Janet Daly, Philip Johnson and Charles Moore being masters of the Art of Bile.

Maybe you need to start a website called Bile Radar and invite them all to join the forum.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This should be campaign ending.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

It has indeed been quite a day at the Conservative conference

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • It would take a heart of stone not to find it funny that they've ended up cancelling a railway to Manchester while having a conference in a converted railway station in Manchester.
  • tailwindhome
    Tory chair of the London Assembly has been removed from the hall for speaking during Bravermans speech
  • Tory chair of the London Assembly has been removed from the hall for speaking during Bravermans speech

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1709219717175533621?s=20

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1709225668238512469?s=20
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Tory chair of the London Assembly has been removed from the hall for speaking during Bravermans speech

Those links don’t work.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    webboo said:

Those links don’t work.

Did for me. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    webboo said:

Those links don’t work.
    as it's party pantomime season, oh yes they do!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

I'm getting big "everything is fine" vibes from the party conference.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Those links don’t work.

Did for me. 🤔
    They did on the other thread though.🤔
  • pblakeney
    Jezyboy said:

I'm getting big "everything is fine" vibes from the party conference.
    If they genuinely believe that then they are in for a big surprise.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome

• tailwindhome
    We're at the 'barring accident or injury' point

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

When I first read that I thought it was a prediction. FA will be happy to see the SNP get a thrashing like that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Collapse of the SNP vote would be such a big boon for labour.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    edited October 2023
    Pross said:

When I first read that I thought it was a prediction. FA will be happy to see the SNP get a thrashing like that.
    I won't have as much skin in the game for much longer. But yes. It's actually a good thing for the whole UK if Labour get 20-30 seats in Scotland.

Irks me that all the people based in the SE whinging about the Tories at the same time discount the situation in Scotland as being something that doesn't affect them.

If Labour get in and if they do so with a centre of gravity in the north of England and Scotland, there's also a built-in leveling up agenda, in my view. Unless that is (and I think it unlikely) that Labour somehow have as much hubris as the Tories and take all of those people for granted.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

I won't have as much skin in the game for much longer. But yes. It's actually a good thing for the whole UK if Labour get 20-30 seats in Scotland.

Irks me that all the people based in the SE whinging about the Tories at the same time discount the situation in Scotland as being something that doesn't affect them.

If Labour get in and if they do so with a centre of gravity in the north of England and Scotland, there's also a built-in leveling up agenda, in my view. Unless that is (and I think it unlikely) that Labour somehow have as much hubris as the Tories and take all of those people for granted.
    I think the Tories gave up on Scotland, in all senses, a long time ago, whereas I'm pretty sure that Labour recognise it's always likely to be an electoral asset.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2023

Pross said:

I think the Tories gave up on Scotland, in all senses, a long time ago, whereas I'm pretty sure that Labour recognise it's always likely to be an electoral asset.
    You'd think so. But according to Wiki, Labour only have 22/129 seats in Scotland.
    That translates to 2/59 Scottish seats in Westminster. Potential, but not guaranteed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Pross said:

It's a pity. When I moved up, I remember the statistic that there were more millionaires per capita in Edinburgh than in London. There's a lot of potential.

In case anyone wasn't paying attention, for a period after the IndyRef, the Tories - yes the Tories - were a strong second to the SNP at all levels of Scottish politics. And this was after the Brexit referendum. They have somehow managed to discard that.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

You'd think so. But according to Wiki, Labour only have 22/129 seats in Scotland.
    That translates to 2/59 Scottish seats in Westminster. Potential, but not guaranteed.

I have a feeling that the SNP will be seen as an historical blip that took most of their votes from Labour... I think that the move back towards Labour from SNP will be reinforced if Labour improve relations (to whatever degree) with the EU, and give the UK Tories a good electoral kicking, to a degree which the SNP never would be able to.

I suspect also that Scots have lost quite a bit of the appetite for independence in a big scary world, and that was really all the SNP had.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I have a feeling that the SNP will be seen as an historical blip that took most of their votes from Labour... I think that the move back towards Labour from SNP will be reinforced if Labour improve relations (to whatever degree) with the EU, and give the UK Tories a good electoral kicking, to a degree which the SNP never would be able to.

I suspect also that Scots have lost quite a bit of the appetite for independence in a big scary world, and that was really all the SNP had.
    Oh, I suspect a big turn around. I also think long term that turnaround will be a smaller blip too, before a levelling off. Of course that depends on politics becoming stable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Pross said:

I suspect the last GE may have taken away any complacency Labour had in the north of the country.
  • tailwindhome
    Beginning to look as if the Truss premiership has left a permanent scar on the polls

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Beginning to look as if the Truss premiership has left a permanent scar on the polls

How did the cake stop bubble take over the polling companies!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Or the replacement of Boris? When did they tank exactly?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541