2024 Election thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

The real question is will you still be here having a crack at Labour, Lab/Libs if they get in?

Of course. Though we might give them a few months of grace to screw it up, as some here did with did with Sunak. That would be quite an achievement on Labour's part though, were they to match the comprehensiveness of Sunak's inaction then flailing around for reactionary policies.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926

The real question is will you still be here having a crack at Labour, Lab/Libs if they get in?

Of course. Though we might give them a few months of grace to screw it up, as some here did with did with Sunak. That would be quite an achievement on Labour's part though, were they to match the comprehensiveness of Sunak's inaction then flailing around for reactionary policies.
    Oh, that's OK then.

Bring on the Lib/Labs!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo, do you support the measures against 15 minute cities?

I'm I'm the bits that stops people driving from one place to another in a town or city by a route of their choice.
    Like any one way system?

Or anything more specific?

Or just the over complicated Oxford one?
    See correction above. Not gone into any more details so can't comment further.
    If you didn't previously know that it's a dog whistle to appeal to those who think it's part of a plot by the WEF to lock people in their homes, you do now.
    I can see it's designed to get some votes and may well do so.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

The manifesto is being written by your crazy uncle on Facebook

By that I think it won't be popular in the Cake Stop bubble, but likely to be a vote winner overall.
    Based on...?
    Just a hunch. We can see how the polling goes when the policy comes out. The last lot of changes around the ICE ban date and related stuff seems to have closed the gap somewhat.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Already feels like the election is on and it’s another year of this

You started the bl00dy thread...
  • Stevo_666

Unlikely. I suspect it will be down to the likes of us to point out and mock leftiebollox & centreleftiebollox if they get in.
  • focuszing723
    Stevo_666 said:

Unlikely. I suspect it will be down to the likes of us to point out and mock leftiebollox & centreleftiebollox if they get in.
    I will be interested, was it all really related to Brexit. I guess that could have been the trigger which turned this place political.

The elected are just a face to an attempt to control chaos anyway. Financial crisis, Brexit, COVID, Putin, inflation.
  • briantrumpet
    Is he the warm-up act? Or has everyone just decided there's no point any more?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Yup. Sh!t government gets flack regardless of the colour of rosette.
    This is not football.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

This is not football.

If it is, the Tories are Torquay United.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

By that I think it won't be popular in the Cake Stop bubble, but likely to be a vote winner overall.
    Based on...?
    Just a hunch. We can see how the polling goes when the policy comes out. The last lot of changes around the ICE ban date and related stuff seems to have closed the gap somewhat.
    You must be looking at different polling. At best it has arrested the slide, but you really should check what he did on the ICE ban rather than what he said. It's a long way from the big change of direction it was sold as.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

This is not football.

If it is, the Tories are Torquay United.
    I presume they play in blue?
    Anyway, politics are about policies, not who's presenting them. Or should be.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Based on...?
    You must be looking at different polling. At best it has arrested the slide, but you really should check what he did on the ICE ban rather than what he said. It's a long way from the big change of direction it was sold as.
    Car manufacturers will have the final say, and they are already committed.
    The grandstanding was just that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Based on...?
    According to YouGov, Sunak has managed to cleverly attack an idea that most people support. Not sure that hunch is correct.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Based on...?
    According to YouGov, Sunak has managed to cleverly attack an idea that most people support. Not sure that hunch is correct.

It's another of these attempts to weaponise a term (e.g. political correctness, health and safety, woke) that is actually something which should be a goal of a better society.

To be honest, it's a bit weird in Toryland, as it rather harks back to the post-war era, when most communities had a village or corner shop, a pub, a doctor and a candlestick maker within walking distance, and Tories seem to think that post-war pre-EU Britain was a golden era which should be rekindled. At least they've got the economy heading in that direction...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I’m struggling to see how they ever thought trying to stop something that would be greater convenience was a good thing. You only have to look at the other thread on here to see the biggest reason for car use is that there’s no alternative but this lot want to stop something that takes that need away. The only reason I can see why they would be seen as ‘bad’ is because they take away an excuse to drive.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Rank 'em from best to worst, BoJo, Truss, Sunak.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    I looked up the 15 minute cities consiracy since I hadn't heard of it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/26/world/15-minute-cities-conspiracy-theory-climate-intl/index.html

They claimed he wanted to confine people to their neighborhoods and accused him of being part of a malign international plot to control people’s movement in the name of climate action.

Lol

The accusations flung at Enright were wild and varied, and mostly from people with no connection to Oxford, he said.

Reminds me of Stevo getting involved in Welsh petitions.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Sunak, Bojo, Truss.

Thanks Hobson.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    Imagine being the person proposing 15 minute cities and then seeing the absolute looney conspiracy theories and complete misunderstanding of it. They must have been so confused by the idiocy of not understanding having things within 15 minutes.
  • rick_chasey

Sunak, Bojo, Truss.

Thanks Hobson.
    You think Sunak is better than BoJo? Yikes.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Sunak, Bojo, Truss.

Thanks Hobson.
    He's achieving absolutely nothing, so that puts him ahead.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo, do you support the measures against 15 minute cities?

I'm I'm the bits that stops people driving from one place to another in a town or city by a route of their choice.
    Like any one way system?

Or anything more specific?

Or just the over complicated Oxford one?
    See correction above. Not gone into any more details so can't comment further.
    If you didn't previously know that it's a dog whistle to appeal to those who think it's part of a plot by the WEF to lock people in their homes, you do now.
    I can see it's designed to get some votes and may well do so.
    Sure, if they're going for the "total nutcase" constituency, that's fine. I feel that should put some others off though.
  • focuszing723
    Carrie and Cummings weren't bad, obviously at different times.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Sunak, Bojo, Truss.

Thanks Hobson.
    Can't we leave it at them just all being horrible in their own special way.

Truss probably wins at being the worst PM (ever?) But it's somewhere mitigated by her laughably short term.

Between Sunak and Boris...well I guess Sunak wins some points for trying to make politics boring and sensible. Otoh his cabinets a mess and he has no control over them. He has no attempt at clear policy direction.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023

Sunak, Bojo, Truss.

Thanks Hobson.
    He's achieving absolutely nothing, so that puts him ahead.
    My view is BoJo was lazy and cynical populist who was in it jut for himself, whereas Sunak actually believes this sh!t.
  • That's my major (amongst many) problem's with Sunak, I don't think he does actually believe in anything, he strikes me as an empty vessel both morally and intellectually. I don't mean by he is unintelligent but rather, he has no actual desire to think critically for himself. He comes across as a Head Boy of a public school sixth form, not a Prime Minister.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    edited October 2023

BoJo, Sunak, May, Truss.

I'd need to think about Cameron. Most people would have him leading the pack, but he did a lot of bad stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023

BoJo, Sunak, May, Truss.

I'd need to think about Cameron. Most people would have him leading the pack, but he did a lot of bad stuff.
    Cameron's legacy looks a lot worse than it did at the time.

Has the reverse Midas touch with most stuff.

Curious about the logic of May being worse than BoJo and Sunak - what's the thinking there?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    edited October 2023
    Yeah, Sunak doesn't come across as a man with conviction in his own ideas. Both he and Boris, to me, seem like they were after the position of becoming PM. Either to say they 'made it' to their chums or for power but not to help people or improve the country.