2024 Election thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Those graphs only seem to show that China is an outlier and everyone else is much of a muchness at 2017 in the top one and today in the second.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

What does unfair enforcement mean?

Nothing. None of it means anything.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

Also begs the question as to who is in charge of the laws being enforced?
    Are they saying that their laws are stupid after 13 years of being in charge?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Also begs the question as to who is in charge of the laws being enforced?
    Are they saying that their laws are stupid after 13 years of being in charge?
    Their entire strategy depends on pretending that the last 13 years was some other party so one can understand the need to talk bollox repeatedly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah the political reality is unless you grow the economy you’re gonna end up with more debt.

So that’s why austerity is so bad etc

But according to your logic, more debt is needed to drive economic growth, isn't it?
    Well that was the case 10 years ago now but the situation has changed.

The drive to cut debt was austerity.

We can now all agree that that is a failure, as the premise of austerity was to reduce the debt burden and now look where we are.

I maintain the counter factual that if Britain and Europe had embarked on genuine counter cyclical spending like the US did, the economies would all be substantially bigger.

However, a decade and a half of no growth and the Brexit/Truss episode has eroded the trust of the British government by investors which makes counter cyclical spending much harder, as investors won’t give you the same leeway to embark on it.

So 15 years on there are fewer levers to pull….as a result of poor mismanagement for a decade and a half.
    I dont think we can all agree. As has already been mentioned there are other factors. Your simple premise of more debt = more growth assumes that whatever the money is spent on generates a greater return than the spend, but that isn't necessarily the case.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

The manifesto is being written by your crazy uncle on Facebook

By that I think it won't be popular in the Cake Stop bubble, but likely to be a vote winner overall.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Meh, I imagine the first two will do very little, because they are both generally quite popular with local residents.

The third is bizarre. Why wouldn't I want amenities close by?

The forth has precisely no impact on the majority of my driving.

I have to say though, they've successfully got the aerated concrete in schools issue out of the headlines.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Jezyboy said:

Meh, I imagine the first two will do very little, because they are both generally quite popular with local residents.

I have to say though, they've successfully got the aerated concrete in schools issue out of the headlines.

I take it that you don't have an amphibious car then?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Jezyboy said:

I take it that you don't have an amphibious car then?
    Very good!

Tbf if we wanted an example of a commitment that would improve my driving experience, speeding up the building of HS2 would possibly be near the top of the list.

Not because it gets people out of their cars, but because the works are resulting in a major trunk route being cut to one lane, with junctions shut and a 40 limit (which is completely unachievable during busy times due to the lane closure).

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Where will HS2 reach?

We've spades in the ground

Where will it go?

Can't say Laura.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

By that I think it won't be popular in the Cake Stop bubble, but likely to be a vote winner overall.
    There are a lot of crazy uncles out there tbf
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I think you're agreeing, while implying that Cake Stop knows better than the general public.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Where will HS2 reach?

Where will it go?

Can't say Laura.

Presumably doesn't know what Labour will do.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2023

Where will HS2 reach?

Where will it go?

Can't say Laura.

Presumably doesn't know what Labour will do.
    That’s fair. Not much point in committing to anything on a National basis much past 12 months.
    Local policies for local MPs.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think you're agreeing, while implying that Cake Stop knows better than the general public.
    To be honest I've no idea how widespread the conspiracy theories around 15minute cities resonate with normal people.

As for the 20 mph thing that fell apart under questioning from Kuenssberg as Sunak admitted he can't do anything about Tory Councils making local decisions

It's all a bit desperate
  • Will wait to see if there are any policies, because the two there that might have any impact don't seem to say anything. People like their LTNs in general, and 20mph should obviously only be where it makes sense.
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

To be honest I've no idea how widespread the conspiracy theories around 15minute cities resonate with normal people.

As for the 20 mph thing that fell apart under questioning from Kuenssberg as Sunak admitted he can't do anything about Tory Councils making local decisions

It's all a bit desperate
    Let's see what happens when the policies come out. I suspect they will be more popular than you might like.

The Labour lead is already thinning, so let's see who starts getting twitchy.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/09/30/labour-tories-latest-poll-keir-starmer-rishi-sunak/
  • Stevo, do you support the measures against 15 minute cities?
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2023

Stevo, do you support the measures against 15 minute cities?

I'm against stoppin people driving from one place to another in a town or city by a route of their choice. So if it prevents that restriction then fine.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited October 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm I'm the bits that stops people driving from one place to another in a town or city by a route of their choice.
    Like any one way system?

Or anything more specific?

Or just the over complicated Oxford one?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'm I'm the bits that stops people driving from one place to another in a town or city by a route of their choice.
    Like any one way system?

See correction above. Not gone into any more details so can't comment further.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like any one way system?

See correction above. Not gone into any more details so can't comment further.
    If you didn't previously know that it's a dog whistle to appeal to those who think it's part of a plot by the WEF to lock people in their homes, you do now.
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's all a bit desperate
    Let's see what happens when the policies come out. I suspect they will be more popular than you might like.

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/09/30/labour-tories-latest-poll-keir-starmer-rishi-sunak/
    Meh. Wouldn't read too much into one outlier poll. Certainly not until after everyone's had their conference.

But I do think that if polls start going in the right direction (even if the gap is still large) Sunak may be tempted by a May election
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's all a bit desperate

Meh. Wouldn't read too much into one outlier poll. Certainly not until after everyone's had their conference.

But I do think that if polls start going in the right direction (even if the gap is still large) Sunak may be tempted by a May election
    Needs time for inflation to drop
  • I suppose it's pretty conservative to take the status quo as it was a while ago as the natural state and not want anything to ever change.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Already feels like the election is on and it’s another year of this
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    The real question is will you still be here having a crack at Labour, Lab/Libs if they get in?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    Or will the job be done, regardless of performance?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Based on...?
    Pinnacle Monzonite