Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Two laps to go, "40 seconds to the main group, with a Finn chasing potatoes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantage of riding tomorrow having done the Tour and tomorrow is effectively the last day of the season, versus spending July training for the Vuelta

Team Vuelta- Remco
    Team Tour - Pog/MDVP
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I feel, looking at the start list, that Ryan Mullan is a certainty for the early break
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    If this group does stay away, the Danes have a linguistic advantage. Norwegian is pretty easy for Danes to understand, most of the time, while all other Scandies complain that Danish isn't a real language, it's just grunting noises.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Seriously feeling the lack of Rob Warner...

Danny Hart's almost turning the clock back really highlighted the difference
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited August 2023
    Looks a lot like the girls race.
    No organisation and every man for himself approach from most teams.
    Winner definitely coming from this lead group.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Albert Philipsen attacks on Montrose, Storm lets his wheel go, he's got a few seconds but the original break is blown apart here
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    7" seconds at the bell, KOM SÅ ALBERT!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    20"
    The chase group is now 5, Storm got back on, he's messing with them a bit
  • Another Dane bringing home the bacon.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Another Dane bringing home the bacon.

He's been the strongest all day. Mad for a 16yr old first year jnr
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • Italian engineering breaks down again
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Poor Italian with a mech (crash mode on the gears?) into the other steep climb
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Would have thought this circuit would suit the Belgians. Very kermesse like
  • Pross
    Gutting for the Italian, he looked strong but for the gear issue.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    Youngest Junior world champ ever
    Smashed it at the front the first couple of laps, got into the break, animated the race, and beast mode dominated the race

• ddraver
    edited August 2023
    Charlie Hatton pulls off the surprise rainy win in the DH for GBs first* medal of the "games"

*Citation needed
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    It's like Crit City.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver said:

Charlie Hatton pulls off the surprise rainy win in the DH for GBs first* medal of the "games"

*Citation needed

Jenny Holl and Sophie Unwin have two golds already in para cycling - women’s B individual pursuit and women’s B tandem time trial
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

It wasn’t as close as it first looked though and it was a marshalled crossing point.

It's close enough. What if something goes wrong? If I was Just Stop Oil I'd see that as an invitation for a stunt at the finish tomorrow
    They probably remember when Al Queada (spelling?) tried to bomb Glasgow Airport and got a kicking. They also better not try it next weekend, I’m volunteering both days🤣
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

ddraver said:

*Citation needed

Jenny Holl and Sophie Unwin have two golds already in para cycling - women’s B individual pursuit and women’s B tandem time trial
    Will Tidball took the Scratch race on the first day too, but I think that was after Holl and Unwin's first gold?

#tekkerz
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    ddraver said:

*Citation needed

A great ride by Charlie.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Men's team pursuit finals coming up, DK think it's going to be tight V Italy. They're showing Ganna taking 1.5" back in under a km in the times posted so far, though the Italian middle section lost a lot of speed so he had work to do. They also think Rasmus Lund as last man has more in him than he showed (he's had a back injury, didn't ride the first round, might have taken it a little bit easy in the knockout as they were almost catching the Aussies
  • Pross
    andyp said:

ddraver said:

*Citation needed

Will Tidball took the Scratch race on the first day too, but I think that was after Holl and Unwin's first gold?

#tekkerz
    And Ferguson won the silver in the junior women’s road race earlier today.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Selfies completed. All others fall into insignificance.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Timmy Mallet’s let himself go.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    roscoe said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

It wasn’t as close as it first looked though and it was a marshalled crossing point.

It's close enough. What if something goes wrong? If I was Just Stop Oil I'd see that as an invitation for a stunt at the finish tomorrow
    They probably remember when Al Queada (spelling?) tried to bomb Glasgow Airport and got a kicking. They also better not try it next weekend, I’m volunteering both days🤣
    I've done all (I think 🤔) the online training stuff for the volunteers (next week in Dumfries for me for the para TT and roads) inc that anti terrorism hour long thing. Run Hide Tell nah more like See You Pal. 😉
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    orraloon said:

roscoe said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I've done all (I think 🤔) the online training stuff for the volunteers (next week in Dumfries for me for the para TT and roads) inc that anti terrorism hour long thing. Run Hide Tell nah more like See You Pal. 😉
    What would Begbie do? :D
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Home advantage not working (enough) for the DH girls.

(Although some genuinely solid rides by a lot of them)

4 in the top 8 and no medals (4th, 5th, 6th and 8th). That must be a bit frustrating.

Enjoyed that, the wooded section with the roots made me wince as that is always my downfall when I ride off-road
    Tahnee's arm after yesterday's crash. Amazing she could ride any bike let alone a DH one...

- @ddraver