Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
edited August 2023 in Pro race
Entirely in keeping with the political climate, 4 Eritrean riders have been refused visas to ride in this year's Worlds in Glasgow, including Biniam Girmay.

Will share the timings, route etc later, but in the meantime, let's enjoy Britain shitting its own pants in public again.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    I'm waiting on the road race road rage outrage. I doubt many of the public appreciate how much rolling road closures there will be on major roads.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    edited August 2023

Entirely in keeping with the political climate, 4 Eritrean riders have been refused visas to ride in this year's Worlds in Glasgow, including Biniam Girmay.

Global Britain meets the Home Office writ large.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

I'm waiting on the road race road rage outrage. I doubt many of the public appreciate how much rolling road closures there will be on major roads.

They'll be even more annoyed when they see a group barely bigger than a club run trundling around as the rest of the peloton is left at the border, visas unobtained.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    The dates are funny, the timings are funny, so here is everything there is:

Saturday 5th August: Women's Juniors RR: 70km

Saturday 5th August: Men's juniors RR: 127km

Sunday August 6th. Men's elite RR: 271km

the elite men’s road race, on August 6, is over 271.1km and includes 3570 metres of climbing. It will start in the shadow of Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh and then pass through Edinburgh’s Old Town, near Edinburgh Castle before crossing the Firth of Forth and following the Fife coastline towards Glasgow. After racing 120km including the climb of Crow Road (5.8km at 10%), the race ends with 10 laps of the technical Glasgow City Circuit with punchy short climbs.

Tuesday August 8th: Mixed Relay TT: 40km (no image, sorry)
    The team time trial mixed relay will see squads of six - three women and three men - race a 20.15km road circuit in turn, starting from Argyle Street and finishing in George Square, Glasgow. The total distance raced by each team will be 40.3km with 484 metres of elevation gain. The men go first and race their lap as quickly as they can. The women can only go when the second man reaches them. The women push the pace and when the second woman crosses the finish line, the team has their time.

Wednesday August 9th: Men's u23 TT: 36km

Thursday August 10th: Women's Junior TT: 13km

Thursday August 10th: Women's Elite TT: 36km

The combined elite and under23 women’s time trial will take place on August 10. The riders will face a 36.2km course with 242 metres of elevation gain featuring the final 750m climb and 6% gradient to the finish line at Stirling Castle.

Friday August 11th Men's junior TT: 22km

Friday August 11th: Men's Elite TT: 48km

The men elite take on a 47.8km course on August 11, with 352 metres of elevation gain. Like all the individual time trials, the route ends with a 750m climb at 6% to the finish line at Stirling Castle.

Saturday August 12th: Men's u23 RR: 168km

Sunday August 13th: Women's Elite RR: 154km

The combined elite and under 23 women’s road race will also start on the shores of Loch Lomond on August 13. They will make their way through to Glasgow via the Crow Road (5.8km at 10%) climb. After 60km of racing and once in the Glasgow city centre, the riders will take on 6 laps of the 14.3km circuit, finishing on George Square. The technical Glasgow circuit with punchy short climbs such as Montrose Street, at 200 meters long with an average gradient of 10.8% inside of 2km to go.
  • pblakeney
    FYI - I have done the Elite Men's TT virtually. That 750m at 6% is average (minimum) as it peaks in double figures. Could be interesting if the cobbles are wet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The city centre circuit will be superb - a tried and tested route after a British and European Champs and a Commie Games. Having the tube is handy for popping out at various viewing locations / different pubs.

• The MTB marathon race goes along our valley, will have a walk over the river to watch on Sunday, mens and womens race on same day.
  • Absolutely buzzing for it.

Going to ride up to Carronbridge on Sunday to see the peloton role through there after it goes through Denny to shout some encouragement at them. Then home, shower, change and into Glasgow to watch the circuits and maybe have a couple of pints.

Taken the day off next Friday to go watch the TT in Stirling. Going to try and get to the women's RR next Sunday too.

Can't believe it's here. There's a good Cameron Mason thread on twitter that sums things up nicely. I'm also getting serious FOMO that I haven't taken advantage of all the good stuff that's going to be going on. Haven't got tickets for anything on the track : ( I see Rouleur are doing a thing with Ben Healey in the evening after the road race. Could be a fiver well spent if he actually wins the flipping thing!

Would really like to see the Girmay thing get resolved. I can't see him winning but the course isn't impossible for him and I'd be ecstatic if he made it here and won on the day.

• pblakeney

Taken the day off next Friday to go watch the TT in Stirling. Going to try and get to the women's RR next Sunday too.

From my virtual experience you want to be at the final 500m or near the top of the hill going into Cambusbarron.
    For perspective, my time was 1:28. This is going to be embarrassing! 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Girmay has withdrawn after a crash at San Sebastian so that saves any awkwardness of banning a potential winner.
  • pblakeney said:

From my virtual experience you want to be at the final 500m or near the top of the hill going into Cambusbarron.
    For perspective, my time was 1:28. This is going to be embarrassing! 🤣
    Lot of local legends about to be extremely humbled. I do a club TT on that long straight road from Kippen. I'm so far off amateur race pace never mind pros, I can't wait to see what kind of times they do along that stretch! 🤣
  • Entirely in keeping with the political climate, 4 Eritrean riders have been refused visas to ride in this year's Worlds in Glasgow, including Biniam Girmay.

It could just be a paperwork issue. GB's Lucy Charles-Barclay (triathlete) had paperwork-related visa issues recently and only just made it on time for her event, but as this was the EU enforcing its border controls that we (though I imagine not Lucy personally) voted for, I assume that this is OK.

I don't think the people processing visa applications etc. have any particular interest in sport, so they just process what they're given, and if it's not done correctly they will bin the application. Rumour has it that the introduction of the whizzy new Schengen regime is being delayed until after the Paris OGs so that French border force folk don't embarrass Macron by not admitting Big Hitters.

• https://cyclingmole.com/2023/08/02/2023-world-championships-elite-men-road-race-preview/

"I count 40 corners of 90 degrees. Glasgow, like many cities, is based on a grid system. The riders will hop about this grid in a real-life version of Mario Kart. In the 14.2km lap, there are six main climbs, all of which are short and steep. In order they are:

St Vincent Street – 550m at 5.7%.

University Avenue – 250m at 6%.

Great George Street – 350m at 7.6%.

Kelvingrove Park – 350m at 6.8%.

Scott Street – 200m at 10%..

Montrose Street – 200m at 13%. It’s just 1.5km from the finish.

Please note, the climbs are so short that exact length/gradient isn’t always spot on. "
  • The race basically finishes in Gotham City.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Cannot wait! I’ve volunteered so will be in the thick of it. Some buzz around the area already.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Bit weird having arguably the main event as one of the first races.

I was watching that BBC documentary about Josh Quigley last week and he was trying to qualify for the Worlds which I thought was a bit odd. It was only after watching footage of two qualifying events that I realised it was for the Gran Fondo rather than the road race. The documentary obviously didn't explain this.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

I was watching that BBC documentary about Josh Quigley last week and he was trying to qualify for the Worlds which I thought was a bit odd. It was only after watching footage of two qualifying events that I realised it was for the Gran Fondo rather than the road race. The documentary obviously didn't explain this.

Not necessarily.
    One article quoted his ambition to do the TdF. Optimistic doesn't come close.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Not necessarily.
    One article quoted his ambition to do the TdF. Optimistic doesn't come close.
    That got mentioned in the documentary too. It's great that cycling has helped in mentally and saved his life but he came across as a bit of a dreamer.
  • I was dropping my car off in Perth this morning and there was a fair few way too healthy folk out on recon rides for the Gran Fondo.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Mrs MM has agreed to a trip to the men’s RR.
    Montrose St will doubtless be rammed, anyone like to recommend which of the other bits likely to be best?
    And maybe suggest bits that I can move between easily during the afternoon?
    With good pubs nearby….
  • pblakeney

I was dropping my car off in Perth this morning and there was a fair few way too healthy folk out on recon rides for the Gran Fondo.

While reading up on all the routes I noticed that the Gran Frodo is a proper race where you need to qualify through earlier rides. It is not a standard sportive.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mad_Malx said:

Montrose St will doubtless be rammed, anyone like to recommend which of the other bits likely to be best?
    With good pubs nearby….

I can probably think of a few more but the first one that springs to mind is Scott Street which will likely be a brutal little dig up towards the art school (RIP) and the State Bar is right there at the foot of the hill just off Sauchiehall St which will be good for a pint.

The circuit zig-zags through the city centre so you'll be spoiled for choice of decent bars to hop in and out of as you walk around.
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023
    Mad_Malx said:

With good pubs nearby….

If you enjoy a whisky then the Pot Still is recommended, it's even on the route. 😎
    154 Hope Street.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

With good pubs nearby….

If you enjoy a whisky then the Pot Still is recommended, it's even on the route. 😎
    154 Hope Street.
    What a great shout this is! Probably my favourite pub in the city centre.

May miss/forget a lot of the race if you spend too much time in the pot still though 🥴
  • Mostly for Mad Malx but for anyone else visiting the city for the first time I've boshed the route and pinned some reputable drinking establishments into a Google Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1_-8UdexV3XS6Zxwz0P_h0b09D1obfoQ&usp=sharing

Have to admit I'm not a local, so any native Glaswegians will no doubt have plenty more to add here. If you're standing on the route you could pretty much throw a rock over your shoulder and hit a pub, but these are bars I've drank in and I wouldn't persuade anyone against. Most of them are beery places, but there's one essential whisky bar and a couple that do nice cocktails and stuff. Sure you won't go thirsty regardless.

Not my place to judge but please keep out of Brewdogs and Wetherspoons where you can, yeah?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Would add Ox and Finch as an extremely good place to get some food.

Mostly small plates, but very well done. And sells beer
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Pross said:

It's not the Road Worlds though......I'm guessing it's been done in the hope that a GB rider could ride the Road race, and the XCO race a week later.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Mostly for Mad Malx but for anyone else visiting the city for the first time I've boshed the route and pinned some reputable drinking establishments into a Google Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1_-8UdexV3XS6Zxwz0P_h0b09D1obfoQ&usp=sharing

Have to admit I'm not a local, so any native Glaswegians will no doubt have plenty more to add here. If you're standing on the route you could pretty much throw a rock over your shoulder and hit a pub, but these are bars I've drank in and I wouldn't persuade anyone against. Most of them are beery places, but there's one essential whisky bar and a couple that do nice cocktails and stuff. Sure you won't go thirsty regardless.

Not my place to judge but please keep out of Brewdogs and Wetherspoons where you can, yeah?

That's fantastic Hanshot! Much appreciated.
  • Pross
    andyrac said:

Pross said:

It's not the Road Worlds though......I'm guessing it's been done in the hope that a GB rider could ride the Road race, and the XCO race a week later.....
    Sure but I'd still argue that on the world stage the road races are the biggest event.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

I was dropping my car off in Perth this morning and there was a fair few way too healthy folk out on recon rides for the Gran Fondo.

While reading up on all the routes I noticed that the Gran Frodo is a proper race where you need to qualify through earlier rides. It is not a standard sportive.
    Yeah, those were the races being covered in that Josh Quigley documentary.