Don't think so no.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Like the colour on his S-Works.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Philipsen isn't winning this, is he?

Don't think so no.
    Maybe he'll find a way to ride for MvdP.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    It's about as hilly as Amstel gold isn't it?
  • It's about as hilly as Amstel gold isn't it?

According to Friebe, almost on the money.

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Had to reschedule my holidays due to last minute work issues, so at least I'll be able to watch the RR. Weather's been atrocious for the last week in Edinburgh, so I guess at least the roads will be clean (for the usual standard).

Given the shape of the circuit, I can't see Remco winning. I think he'll bin it if it's wet.
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    Good fun watching them train this morning!

• drhaggis said:

Weather's been atrocious for the last week in Edinburgh, so I guess at least the roads will be clean (for the usual standard

Not as bad as down South, which is a slap in the face for the folk that claimed it should never have been in held in Glasgow.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Watching a brief clip of the junior downhill, and they're flicking out tricks off the jumps then getting low and tucked again when rolling, surely there's some benefit to be gained on trying to stay aero when airborne?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    I like the look of shock on that woman's face - she's riding pretty well up that gradient but gets left looking like she's standing still.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    As someone posted above, there are going to be a few local heroes getting their bubbles burst this week.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    edited August 2023
    Woah, that 1km time trial final (men's para B ) is close. GBR 1,2.

Edit, seems cap B then bracket is sunglasses emoji, who knew
  • Tashman said:

Watching a brief clip of the junior downhill, and they're flicking out tricks off the jumps then getting low and tucked again when rolling, surely there's some benefit to be gained on trying to stay aero when airborne?

Was watching it with my eldest. Women did it less, although still a bit.

My working theory is that pulling the bike up pulls the body down, which helps control the landing point and trajectory - the blokes pulling sideways noticeably grabbed less air and could choose their contact point a bit more. Wonder if it reduces the amount of crosswind you might grab?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited August 2023
    Oh man, are we going to have to explain scrubbing jumps to the roadies... 😁

(It keeps the bike, moto or push, on the ground for longer without loosing speed. Allows for more control/pedalling/braking and so is faster than straight up sending it. If you've ever wondered why skiers, ski cross especially, wave their arms in the air before a jump it's the same thing.)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Look, I'm still coming to terms with wearing baggy clothing when you're trying to go fast!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2023
    Controversial opinion coming up.

Mixing regular Worlds with the Paracycling isn't working. 70% of the medals in track and 80% on the Road are for the paracyclists, who represent at most 10% of the population. There needs to be more balance or a change to the scheduling. Paracycling can provide great races. I especially enjoyed the Chinese guy v the Spanish guy pursuiting.
    But a lot of the time it's not particularly competitive. Sarah Storey would literally have more trouble shooting fish in a barrel than winning gold medals.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Controversial opinion coming up.

Mixing regular Worlds with the Paracycling isn't working. 70% of the medals in track and 80% on the Road are for the paracyclists, who represent at most 10% of the population. There needs to be more balance or a change to the scheduling. Paracycling can provide great races. I especially enjoyed the Chinese guy v the Spanish guy pursuiting.
    But a lot of the time it's not particularly competitive. Sarah Storey would literally have more trouble shooting fish in a barrel than winning gold medals.

I struggle with parasport simply because there doesn’t seem to be any way of creating genuine equality within a category. One of the IPs the other night saw a one-legged guy up against someone with two legs, but with some degree of motor function impairment.

I haven’t studied the categories in detail, but hope there isn’t the equivalent of swimming’s S14 category for learning difficulties where there appears to be a certain amount of “gaming the system” going on to get the classification.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    We used to have a para world champion on the forum iirc
  • orraloon

Bell tingling in head. Irish guy? And didn't he put down in tatters some poster querying his knowledge of summat or other?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Why is the men's road race first this year?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    ddraver said:

Oh man, are we going to have to explain scrubbing jumps to the roadies... 😁

(It keeps the bike, moto or push, on the ground for longer without loosing speed. Allows for more control/pedalling/braking and so is faster than straight up sending it. If you've ever wondered why skiers, ski cross especially, wave their arms in the air before a jump it's the same thing.)

Yeah; as seen in MXGP/ AMA SuperCross....
    Downhill has a lot of MX/SX influencing it; the clothes, the attitude, etc
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.

Why is the men's road race first this year?

The respective Tours de France I guess.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited August 2023
    orraloon said:

Bell tingling in head. Irish guy? And didn't he put down in tatters some poster querying his knowledge of summat or other?
    Yes

Colin Lynch

Can't remember his username though

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    He posted as Pokerface

I seem to recall a thread in which someone was offering opinions on cyclists wearing national kit or rainbow bands
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    That's him, Pokerface. Well recalled.

Junior women's RR showing the Glasgow circuit in detail. Fast corner crash for Aussie in lead group. There are lots of corners....
  • tailwindhome
    Glasgow looks shit
  • RichN95.
    There were some familiar winners in the Gran Fondo age groups yesterday

40-44 Johnny Hoogerland
    50-54 Alexandre Vinokourov
    65-69 Sylvan Adams
  • tailwindhome
    Did they prepare the road surface with sledgehammer?
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95. said:

There were some familiar winners in the Gran Fondo age groups yesterday

40-44 Johnny Hoogerland
    50-54 Alexandre Vinokourov
    65-69 Sylvan Adams

What a pointless event.