Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The peloton off like a rocket. Passed a parked car at the point of the protest and stretched out.

Going to be a hard ride to Glasgow
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Gap at 6.26

What had previously been chasing groups are now in the peloton. Presumably they declined the opportunity to start chasing again with the original gaps on the road
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Firstly, outside of motor sports there are few less environmentally friendly sports than professional bike racing. You'll have noticed the motos, team cars, team buses, helicopters and TV relay planes?

Secondly, various groups have protested everywhere already - banks, oil companies, parliaments etc, and we're still up the proverbial creek

Thirdly, the strategy isn't to "win hearts and minds" it's to make climate change a topic, to actually get it on the agenda. They've been very successful at that.

Firstly, they've attacked anything that's on TV. What's carbon footprint of snooker. There's nothing focussed against cycling here.

Secondly, those groups messages are drowned out by these Tok Tokers, who, if you ever hear them interviewed they are terrible communicators.

Thirdly, the topic they have been successful at getting on the agenda is the nature and rights of protesters. Laws have been introduced to curb protesting, and when 100 new North Sea drilling licences were announced a lot of the reaction was schadenfraude towards this group.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I expect there will be another stunt on the finishing circuit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    Gap to the Dutch team
  • Peleton split up Crow Road, three Dutch at front of trailing group, thought not to include MvdP.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tailwindhome
    Weren't paying attention
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    edited August 2023
    RichN95. said:

Firstly, outside of motor sports there are few less environmentally friendly sports than professional bike racing. You'll have noticed the motos, team cars, team buses, helicopters and TV relay planes?

Secondly, various groups have protested everywhere already - banks, oil companies, parliaments etc, and we're still up the proverbial creek

Thirdly, the strategy isn't to "win hearts and minds" it's to make climate change a topic, to actually get it on the agenda. They've been very successful at that.

Firstly, they've attacked anything that's on TV. What's carbon footprint of snooker. There's nothing focussed against cycling here.

Secondly, those groups messages are drowned out by these Tok Tokers, who, if you ever hear them interviewed they are terrible communicators.

Thirdly, the topic they have been successful at getting on the agenda is the nature and rights of protesters. Laws have been introduced to curb protesting, and when 100 new North Sea drilling licences were announced a lot of the reaction was schadenfraude towards this group.
    I never said it was a particular protest about bike racing, just that bike racing in now way has a let-off from protest because it involves bicycles, which seemed to be part of the original claim.

When the gov announced hundreds of new drilling licenses it was front page news, rather than the usual business as usual two paragraphs on page 7.

Anyway, back to the bike racing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Piss poor puncture prevention pickles Pollitt
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    COWS!!
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver said:

COOS!!

Fixed that for you
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Belgian team need better mussettes!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    Caempenarts causing chaos
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    I'm now wondering if I cement myself to some of the roads around here, whether they'll be repaired as fast?

May be an option 🤔
  • ddraver
    Boulting successfully navigates the York/Millar sitch...
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    Gaviria out.
    Looks like a busted nose in a crash
  • ddraver
    Gaviria gnoshes gravel

- @ddraver
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    5 arrested from some protest group called “This is Rigged”.

No, nor me!
  • tailwindhome
    3 Irish at the front and 1 in the break.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    edited August 2023
    Gaviria chute, looks quite nasty, blood on both arms, might have hit his head (he's sitting up) Won't be continuing

Was he doing any track this year?
  • RichN95. said:

It looks like they may have cleared the road

Nothing says 'fight climate change' quite like stopping people riding bicycles. Their messaging is so terrible.

Greenpeace showed how it should be done last week.

Let’s protest and stop a sporting event that has managed to shut down the centre of a major city to traffic for several days.

Yup
    Makes perfect sense.

I did what they should be doing to promote their case: went for a walk.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

RichN95. said:

It looks like they may have cleared the road

Nothing says 'fight climate change' quite like stopping people riding bicycles. Their messaging is so terrible.

Greenpeace showed how it should be done last week.

Let’s protest and stop a sporting event that has managed to shut down the centre of a major city to traffic for several days.

Yup
    Makes perfect sense.

I did what they should be doing to promote their case: went for a walk.
    Every time they go for a walk people keep assaulting them to get them out of the road..... ;)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Fighting for position as they come into town is looking quite heavy now, but I wouldn't have wanted to give the break 5 minutes at the first circuit if I was chasing, much harder to pull back there
  • tailwindhome
    Do they know there's 147k to go?
  • ddraver
    That Moroccan lad deserves a participation medal...
    - @ddraver
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited August 2023
    Denmark on the front, stringing the peleton out on the first Glasgow circuit.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tailwindhome
    One long line back through 4 or 5 corners
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Denmark on the front, stringing the peleton out on the first Glasgow circuit.

Mads wants a hard race, Mørkøv blasted up Montrose street there, almost got three of them off the front for a TTT
  • ddraver
    Aussies winding it up at the start of the circuit. I guess now is the time to burn off any dead wood..(?)
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Underrated city Glasgow
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm