Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    I've never understood Madisons. 🤔
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Travesty avoided but the Brits nearly messed that up. Thought they were going to drill it when they had the lead with 5 to go and the Aussies a long way back but somehow let them back in, relied on the French in the end.
  • Pross
    The Women’s C5 scratch race is currently demonstrating Rich’s point front other day with the Brazilian rider with a much more obvious disability of her arm finally dropping out after being lapped numerous times.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    m.r.m. said:

MvdP and Pog make races, they are willing to try things in the hope of winning, and that often pays off.
    WvA very, very rarely makes the race, he just follows, and then can't go with the main attack, or gets outsprinted by the likes of MvdP at the end.

On a team level, the danes are also willing to make a race.

Wout is a great all round rider, but he isn't on the same level as the other two in one dayers.

The problem is, if WVA doesn't have the stellar lactate clearance rate of the other two, he can't make the race in that same way. By the time he recovers from his attack the others have long recovered and possibly countered him already. It's a genuine conundrum for him similar to a super strong rider who just doesn't have a sprint like Sep Vanmarcke or Stefan Küng, who are often there at the end of races, but can't ever grab the win.
    Sep Vanmarkce had a decent sprint, especially in a small group.

He outsprinted Tom Boonen to win Het Nieuwsblad in 2012, for example.
  • Pross
    Aussie tandem pair don’t look too good after their crash
  • Pross
    Must be horrible being on the back and not having a clue what is happening in that situation. I certainly wouldn’t want the responsibility of being the pilot.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    orraloon said:

drhaggis said:

People complain about the road surface because roads in scotland are shïte.

All is relative. If you want to degrade yourself to experience really shite roads then pay a visit to south Oxfordshire.

I had some friends up from there a couple of weeks back and they were well impressed by the road conditions. Finally spotted a pot hole and went 'oh look, just like home' 😉
    Absolutely! I’m with you on this one!

Up here is like riding on silk compared to the sh1tsh0w that Surrey is! So bad I got a double puncture a few years back…. In my car!
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    wavefront said:

orraloon said:

drhaggis said:

People complain about the road surface because roads in scotland are shïte.

All is relative. If you want to degrade yourself to experience really shite roads then pay a visit to south Oxfordshire.

I had some friends up from there a couple of weeks back and they were well impressed by the road conditions. Finally spotted a pot hole and went 'oh look, just like home' 😉
    Absolutely! I’m with you on this one!

Up here is like riding on silk compared to the sh1tsh0w that Surrey is! So bad I got a double puncture a few years back…. In my car!
    I'm not saying English roads are good. Just that the Scottish ones are terrible, and I stick to my words. Especially once you leave the central belt. That's when gravelly roads where you can barely fit two Fiestas become A-roads!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    I have it from a good source that the RR & TT routes have been resurfaced where required. So anyone complaining about the route surfaces should try off-piste.
    Back to you guys...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Dunno why everyone's whining about the road surface. Belgium's full of cobbles that they've not bothered to resurface yet and people can't wait to mythologize it.

We just need to find a fancy continental name for pot holes, basically.

Nids-de-poule has a nice ring to it, literally means nest of chicken.
    Please tell me that's a genuine French name for potholes, it's fantastic

Yep! Great isn't it. Think we should co opt it for cr@p road surfaces and make it a thing.
  • pblakeney said:

I have it from a good source that the RR & TT routes have been resurfaced where required. So anyone complaining about the route surfaces should try off-piste.
    Back to you guys...

A good stretch of Carron Valley got repaved (not far from the protest from those of you who don't know the area). This is split between two councils, Falkirk and Stirling. Crucially, a few rough bits were left undone for some absolutely bizarre reason.

On a club ride a couple of months ago we were coming down the Crow Rd (opposite direction from the race on Sunday) and we had someone in the group hit a bad pothole and end up going to hospital with some really bad injuries. I thought those potholes were about to be repaved in literally a week or two ahead of the race but no, they're still there today.

So yeah, it depends. I think all councils involved in the race route were given money to fix as much road as they can and they've done what they can with the budget given. Think we can all agree that councils across the UK could do more to improve road surfaces in general but they don't because.. ineptitude, budget cuts and constraints, outright corruption, whole host of other reasons... take your pick.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Gruber. Obviously

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Gruber. Obviously

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    MTB Short Track qualifying cancelled; all riders registered will make the final on Thursday.....including MvdP.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    edited August 2023
    Any reason why?
    They must have known the numbers before today, so has there been a load of rain?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Back to you guys...

A good stretch of Carron Valley got repaved (not far from the protest from those of you who don't know the area). This is split between two councils, Falkirk and Stirling. Crucially, a few rough bits were left undone for some absolutely bizarre reason.

On a club ride a couple of months ago we were coming down the Crow Rd (opposite direction from the race on Sunday) and we had someone in the group hit a bad pothole and end up going to hospital with some really bad injuries. I thought those potholes were about to be repaved in literally a week or two ahead of the race but no, they're still there today.

So yeah, it depends. I think all councils involved in the race route were given money to fix as much road as they can and they've done what they can with the budget given. Think we can all agree that councils across the UK could do more to improve road surfaces in general but they don't because.. ineptitude, budget cuts and constraints, outright corruption, whole host of other reasons... take your pick.
    That the potholes still remain surprises me but I bow down to superior knowledge.
    I do know most roads in the area are shocking and some downright dangerous.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    edited August 2023
    I think the pros are not used to potholes on paved roads tbh.*

Even in Belgium the actual paved roads are really very smooth.

*unless they train in italy
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I thought we decided they were called nids-de-poule and are a feature, not a bug ;)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Yeah, a section of the Blockhaus climb had some of the worst potholes I've seen.
  • pblakeney

Not true. I've seen potholes in the Alps and really rough roads with potholes in the Pyrenees. Damned near came off due to a sunken drain at the bottom of a descent.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    pblakeney said:

Not true. I've seen potholes in the Alps and really rough roads with potholes in the Pyrenees. Damned near came off due to a sunken drain at the bottom of a descent.
    For the race they're usually well surfaced however.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Thought the mixed TT was also in Scotland. Pictures I'm seeing have sun so I guess it's been moved? 😉
  • JimD666 said:

Thought the mixed TT was also in Scotland. Pictures I'm seeing have sun so I guess it's been moved? 😉

Have you checked to see if there's a red headed, kilt wearing, drunk person eating a deepfried mars bar in the background? Because apparently that's the only way to tell.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

For the race they're usually well surfaced however.
    Usually. That dropped drain was on the Col de Peyresourde in August when they'd just gone though in the July.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Last time I drove in Belgium their roads were awful. Even the motorways had potholes but that was about 20 years ago.
  • Pross
    Not a great circuit for a TTT. Uzbek riders are struggling to stay together.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Pross said:

If they can't stick together what chance do the other teams have?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Yerr...RC are sure you weren't driving on Spa by mistake..?

Belgium goes for the "mauvais chaussee" sign in favour of actually mending the road...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

If they can't stick together what chance do the other teams have?
    Quite a few other teams with riders having to chase back on after corners. It feels a bit of an afterthought as well with no intermediate time checks. I assume the winners never actually get to ride in the stripes either.