Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2023
    jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

51 finishers. I didn’t think there were that many still going.

Riders don’t seem to like the course.

Tbh, once you’re 2 minutes back with less than 5 laps remaining there was no point in continuing.
    All those 51 who bothered to finish (i.e. not withdrawing because of crash or mechanical) have my admiration. I always have that feeling for finishers in one-day races

I previously mentioned the 1995 Worlds. This is the bottom of the 20 finshers. Chapeau to Arroyo and Hampsten, 22 minutes behind the previous group, particularly Andy who had nothing to prove at that point.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Van der Poel v Van Aert

Races that each have won where the other was in the top ten (always top 5 in fact)

Van der Poel: Worlds, Strade, De Ronde, San Remo, Roubaix, 3 other races

Van Aert: E3, one other race

This isn't a rivalry, it's an abusive relationship.

Since WVA won his only monument, VDP has won 4, and the world champs.

It also echoes what happens at CX. When they both are firing, it’s usually VDP who wins.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    edited August 2023
    jimmyjams said:

The omnium points race was completely banjaxed by random point allocations, nobody had any idea what was going on. Larsen believed he was in 3rd, until he wasn't anymore. Viviani was outraged

I understood that the points allocation had been changed compared to last year, so was again similar to what it was 10-20 years ago. Don't ask me for the details. But surely the riders should have known this?
    Not sure if it was shown on tv but at the track they seemed to have added an extra lap to some guys and not awarded it to guys who had just made the lap gain, so for a few minutes the points on the big screen was wrong. The riders will glance st that to try and keep up with where they are
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2023

It also echoes what happens at CX. When they both are firing, it’s usually VDP who wins.

It would be ironic if Van Aert became more loved for being the Eternal Second, like Poulidor did.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    neonriver said:

jimmyjams said:

The omnium points race was completely banjaxed by random point allocations, nobody had any idea what was going on. Larsen believed he was in 3rd, until he wasn't anymore. Viviani was outraged

I understood that the points allocation had been changed compared to last year, so was again similar to what it was 10-20 years ago. Don't ask me for the details. But surely the riders should have known this?
    Not sure if it was shown on tv but at the track they seemed to have added an extra lap to some guys and not awarded it to guys who had just made the lap gain, so for a few minutes the points on the big screen was wrong. The riders will glance st that to try and keep up with where they are
    They added several extra laps, they were up for quite a while, only removed with 10 to go, by which time it's getting a bit late to change things much
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Oooh, Bettiol save - bidon drops out of cage and hits back wheel in a corner

Crazy save, fantastic vid
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We forget that although we're not interested in things like MTB Marathon or bike football, for the people that are these races are very important...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    The Van der Poel/ Van Aert rivalry is much like the Glasgiow football rivalry. Van der Poel (despite the orange) is Celtic, Van Aert is Rangers

• RichN95.
    ddraver said:

We forget that although we're not interested in things like MTB Marathon or bike football, for the people that are these races are very important...

I'd really like to watch the bike football, which I've only seen clips of on YouTube
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Do Rangers win things that Celtic know they can't win so don't try to?

Clearly mvdp is on top in the races he wins,but don't let's have a pop at van aert like he's not a great rider too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

51 finishers. I didn’t think there were that many still going.

Riders don’t seem to like the course.

Tbh, once you’re 2 minutes back with less than 5 laps remaining there was no point in continuing.
    All those 51 who bothered to finish (i.e. not withdrawing because of crash or mechanical) have my admiration. I always have that feeling for finishers in one-day races

Yeah, I had said as much earlier.
    pblakeney said:

Feeling sorry for the stragglers. They are getting great support but it’s a thankless task.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2023

Clearly mvdp is on top in the races he wins,but don't let's have a pop at van aert like he's not a great rider too.

I'm not having a pop at him. He's probably the best domestique in the world. But for someone who is frequently sold to us as the best bike rider in the world, or at least one of the galacticos, he doesn't win many big races.

The cycling fraternity have somehow become obsessed with an ability to contend a variety of races rather than win lots of a certain type.
  • neonriver
    edited August 2023
    Ganna’s fastest lap of the pursuit was his last, unreal stamina. Only led 2 laps first and last
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Pross said:

But did you get arrested?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thankfully not this year. . . YET
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    RichN95. said:

alan_a said:

I had the best day doing start and finish line mic duties...

I even managed to run up Montrose St 5 mins before the lead convoy

BEST DAY EVER

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvmjR1hsnUn/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Nice video. It's like you're in the race.

What do your mic duties actually entail? Are you commentating?
    I am having the best week.

Hosted opening ceremony.

Start and finish line commentary for the RR and Finish at the top of Stirling Castle for TT

And when there's a protest I tun into hospitality and grab the first person I can find to interview them on the fanzone stage... Yesterday it was this guy as he was taking his coat off. . . He got almost as big a cheer as MVDP

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver said:

Was the MTB marathon televised? I can find coverage on Iplayer?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    MvdP and Pog make races, they are willing to try things in the hope of winning, and that often pays off.
    WvA very, very rarely makes the race, he just follows, and then can't go with the main attack, or gets outsprinted by the likes of MvdP at the end.

On a team level, the danes are also willing to make a race.

Wout is a great all round rider, but he isn't on the same level as the other two in one dayers.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited August 2023
    ddraver said:

Rab Wardell designed the marathon course before he died apparently.

The riding up at Golfie is nuts - that's where I was riding Saturday morning and it was all marked out for the marathon. Angry Sheep is over on the Innerleithen side, I have ridden some of those but I don't think that one. There were lots of pros out doing recon.

Glentress was also marked out for it when I was up there Friday (again saw about six riders who weren't pros doing recons, the XC lot were up there mainly).
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

ddraver said:

I think it would be really really hard to televise well as you couldn't have a camera alongside for most of it. Maybe with smart use of drones you could televise parts of it, but even then a lot of those trails have heavy tree cover. There were some road/fireroad linking sections you could have camera bikes alongside.

It's not like the XC which is on a compact course so you can use a network of fixed cameras.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    neonriver said:

Ganna’s fastest lap of the pursuit was his last, unreal stamina. Only led 2 laps first and last

Would have been amusing if one of Ineos top riders had been beaten by one of their back room staff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    RichN95. said:

The Van der Poel/ Van Aert rivalry is much like the Glasgiow football rivalry. Van der Poel (despite the orange) is Celtic, Van Aert is Rangers

The divergence is between GTs and One Dayers.
  • rick_chasey

MvdP and Pog make races, they are willing to try things in the hope of winning, and that often pays off.
    WvA very, very rarely makes the race, he just follows, and then can't go with the main attack, or gets outsprinted by the likes of MvdP at the end.

On a team level, the danes are also willing to make a race.

Wout is a great all round rider, but he isn't on the same level as the other two in one dayers.

Yeah Wout, sprint aside, is just less explosive than those two.

I wonder if he should try and go on a sky diet and follow the route of Wiggins & Thomas.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Pross said:

neonriver said:

Would have been amusing if one of Ineos top riders had been beaten by one of their back room staff.
    I think you are being rather disrespectful to Dan Bigham with that comment
  • neonriver
    r0bh said:

Pross said:

neonriver said:

I think you are being rather disrespectful to Dan Bigham with that comment
    One of maybe 3-4 riders that can go 4.02.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    I think MvdP and Pog are quite good mates, as shown in one of the spring races when MvdP told Pog where to attack, which he then did on his way to victory.
    Wout definitely the outsider.
  • rick_chasey
    OK I am now watching from 170km to go.

Already seen about 5 parked cars on the course. WTF. This is the worlds.
  • Caught up last night. Wouldn't want a course like that every year but by crikey that was good fun
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

ddraver said:

Good question - it doesn't appear there was anything, nothing was mentioned. I made do with just the live timing, and even that wasn't great - times taken at the end of each lap.
    Coverage of previous XC Marathon Worlds has been hit or miss; last year in Denmark was poor, 2021 in Elba was pretty decent with camera bikes, and it was fairly easy to work out who was leading.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."