Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    With the obvious caveat that I am I'm not a pro (lolol) the b line still looks like a chunky drop after a steep descent. It's going to require some skill.

I was always amazed how my ability to ride features I wouldn't have blinked at on a weekend trail ride changed when I was """racing""" (again lol)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited August 2023
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wait, there's an e-MTB race?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    ddraver said:

Dunno if this will work but there is a B line on this

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvpuvvTskXn/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Still looks fairly gnar.

You can see how consequential the double is here and what could happen if someone blowing out their A misjudges it a little

Edit - I also completely missed that even making the double doesn't end well for that rider. Presumably a Canadian can handle a little bit of jumping...

My mountain bike skills aren't great, but I work on the basis that if it looks easy enough on skis, then it should be easy enough for someone with mountain bike skills.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    I'm interested to see the lap time of Phillipsen; was 29 secs down...He set quick times in the Euros, as fast as u23 rider Boichis.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

ddraver said:

Dunno if this will work but there is a B line on this

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvpuvvTskXn/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Still looks fairly gnar.

You can see how consequential the double is here and what could happen if someone blowing out their A misjudges it a little

Edit - I also completely missed that even making the double doesn't end well for that rider. Presumably a Canadian can handle a little bit of jumping...

That's the same jump that didn't have a B line on the preview video I think.

The jump itself looks OK but psychologically the fact it's a double rather than a tabletop makes it hard. She's carried too much speed and overshot - if anything the jump and landing looks too small given the speed they will be coming into it, she didn't look like she was trying to take lots of speed either. I wouldn't ride it :p

The b line looks fine to me.
    Needs to adjust her suspension, it looks like she just bounced on landing :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    edited August 2023
    andyrac said:

I'm interested to see the lap time of Phillipsen; was 29 secs down...He set quick times in the Euros, as fast as u23 rider Boichis.

He was up there with the GB rider, but slid out coming into the changeover - lap was 11" down I think

Timings here:
    https://www.tissottiming.com/2023/mtbxcowch/en-us/default/Stage/6/Live

He went from "29 down to "11 down, not sure what the actual lap time was or how it ranks
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Anything go wrong for the British Team in the MTB XC Team? Looked a while back and they were about 20 seconds up in 1st. Just got back in and their 2+minutes down. Just get overhauled or have issues?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    It's quite mad trying to work out whether any of these leads will hold, with a male female mix and elite to juniors involved. I've got no idea whether a minute's lead will just disappear in seconds as an elite man rides against a jnr woman or something
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Old man Nino takes the Swiss team to victory. That's a lot of medals he's won in his career

France silver, Denmark bronze
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    JimD666 said:

Anything go wrong for the British Team in the MTB XC Team? Looked a while back and they were about 20 seconds up in 1st. Just got back in and their 2+minutes down. Just get overhauled or have issues?

No - we sent out our potentially best rider (U23 Charlie Aldridge) out first, and then were reeled in by the others. Our riders aren't quite at the same level as the other countries....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver said:

With the obvious caveat that I am I'm not a pro (lolol) the b line still looks like a chunky drop after a steep descent. It's going to require some skill.

I was always amazed how my ability to ride features I wouldn't have blinked at on a weekend trail ride changed when I was """racing""" (again lol)

Yeah, the difference between racing and a trail ride is fair. I would defo ride that b-line normally but I've not done stuff like that in a "race" situation... Although I would assume these guys are better than me.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Wait, there's an e-MTB race?

In the same way there is a gran fondo...

bit of fun
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    MvdP out of the XCC due to injuries from the crash on Sunday. Still planning on riding the XCO
  • JimD666
    andyrac said:

JimD666 said:

No - we sent out our potentially best rider (U23 Charlie Aldridge) out first, and then were reeled in by the others. Our riders aren't quite at the same level as the other countries....
    Ta. Didn't see the start/know the teams and was surprised to see us out front at all.
  • That cobble climb finish to the U23 TT going on looks a bit bone-jarring, not seen much of it on bbc live coverage so far, but guess it's too short to consider a switch to a road bike.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Josh Charlton seems to be all over the road. Looks like he could have saved himself 1/2 km at least. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    r0bh said:

MvdP out of the XCC due to injuries from the crash on Sunday. Still planning on riding the XCO

Is the XCC the short race on Thursday, and the XCO the full length one on Saturday?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    daniel_b said:

r0bh said:

Is the XCC the short race on Thursday, and the XCO the full length one on Saturday?
    Yeah
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I see Awang's still doing the sprints. He's been around forever.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Archibald off to a good start in the omnium points race. Sat out the first sprint before heading off to gain a lap solo and time it so she got the 5 points in the sprint (thought she’d got it wrong and caught them too soon at first).

Then promptly misses a move where all her rivals gained a lap pushing her back down to 6th.
  • r0bh
    Katie going for another lap but looks pretty tired
  • r0bh
    She got it, but so did two of her rivals. 4th with two sprints left
  • Pross
    Gains another but took two rivals with her and looks knackered.
  • r0bh
    4th, valiant effort starting from so far down
  • Pross
    Excellent race, Archibald gave it everything for a medal but Kopecky had her marked. Lost it earlier in the overall event, must have been one of the top points scorers in the final event.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Had really hoped Dideriksen and Archibald got around together - but without Kopecky.
    Just glad the Pole nabbed that final sprint from Kopecky, the difference between silver and bronze for Amalie
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    5th for NI's Darren Rafferty

Add to the 2nd at the Baby Giro and I've big hopes for this lad.

Signed to EF for 2024

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor

5th for NI's Darren Rafferty

Add to the 2nd at the Baby Giro and I've big hopes for this lad.

Signed to EF for 2024

Congrats Lorenzo on winning the annual Danish Invitational Young Men's TT
  • Here's a preview of the course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DN0dmxiu4

A rather better preview here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWfta4SlQWk

Puck usually posts a similar preview a day or two before the race.
    (also for CX, according to season)