Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

ddraver said:

We forget that although we're not interested in te hings like MTB Marathon or bike football, for the people that are these races are very important...

Was the MTB marathon televised? I can find coverage on Iplayer?
    I think it would be really really hard to televise well as you couldn't have a camera alongside for most of it. Maybe with smart use of drones you could televise parts of it, but even then a lot of those trails have heavy tree cover. There were some road/fireroad linking sections you could have camera bikes alongside.

It's not like the XC which is on a compact course so you can use a network of fixed cameras.
    This...

(And let's be honest it's a rather niche version of the sport these days. Not so long ago you'd have the top XCOers doing both but as XCO has, rightly, become shorter and more technical I think the differences are too great to compete for both. I'm sure a young PFP has a smattering of "doubles" for example)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

OK I am now watching from 170km to go.

Already seen about 5 parked cars on the course. WTF. This is the worlds.

Conversely, I went for a ride to Fife right after watching the start in Edinburgh, and the roads were the nicest they've been in ages. No parked cars by the side, either. Only got busy once I made it to Kincardine bridge.

Quite surprised, given some councils left the roadworks for literally the week of the event. The A90 in Edinburgh had a 50 m stretch completely opeen with less than a week to go. Morons.

By contrast, Orioko benta (climbed in TdF stage 3) had pretty much a full resurfacing in February. I get the temperatures are not the same, and that the A90 out of Edinburgh is damn busy all the time, but FFS, that road's been on patchwork repair programs for the last 3 years that have done nothing to improve it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    RichN95. said:

Clearly mvdp is on top in the races he wins,but don't let's have a pop at van aert like he's not a great rider too.

I'm not having a pop at him. He's probably the best domestique in the world. But for someone who is frequently sold to us as the best bike rider in the world, or at least one of the galacticos, he doesn't win many big races.

The cycling fraternity have somehow become obsessed with an ability to contend a variety of races rather than win lots of a certain type.
    I think you'd struggle to find anyone who says he's the best in the world this year, but for 12 months ending with TDF in 2021, he'd be decent shout for it. That's time for you.

MVDP is definitely the best leadout rider in the world this year as well as being far and away the best "short climb" one day rider.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    r0bh said:

Pross said:

neonriver said:

Ganna’s fastest lap of the pursuit was his last, unreal stamina. Only led 2 laps first and last

Would have been amusing if one of Ineos top riders had been beaten by one of their back room staff.
    I think you are being rather disrespectful to Dan Bigham with that comment
    Not really, it's a statement of fact. One is among the top professional riders in the world and the other isn't. Even on the track there is a gulf in their palmares. Did anyone seriously think Dan could run Ganna that close in a World's pursuit final?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Apparently Pogacar was helped from the mixed zone after complaining of dizziness
    Which could have been exhaustion or just all those corners
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I thought 10 laps of the finishing circuit was maybe too many. I think I may have preferred 60k more country with more climbing and 6 laps
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

I think you'd struggle to find anyone who says he's the best in the world this year, but for 12 months ending with TDF in 2021, he'd be decent shout for it. That's time for you.

Have you come across Rick?

MVDP is definitely the best leadout rider in the world this year as well as being far and away the best "short climb" one day rider.

He did win the flat cobbled one, but not the one with the short climbs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

I thought 10 laps of the finishing circuit was maybe too many. I think I may have preferred 60k more country with more climbing and 6 laps

I'm at 126km to go and it's basically doing 3, 50km crits back-to-back having already ridden 130km.

It's just strung out in one big line and no-one can move up or down without dive bombing because there's a corner every 20 seconds.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver

I'm at 126km to go and it's basically doing 3, 50km crits back-to-back having already ridden 130km.

It's just strung out in one big line and no-one can move up or down without dive bombing because there's a corner every 20 seconds.
    (I'm going to risk putting my head above the parapet here, but if you know the result already, I think 170 is far too far. All you need is the last 2 laps to see how the finish played out. I would feel free to use liberal amounts of the +15s button if I were you...)
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor

You can move up fine, you just need to do it on a climb. Plenty of them about.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited August 2023

He did win the flat cobbled one, but not the one with the short climbs.
    I suppose maybe you're right and 15th, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st isn't far and away the best, but I thought he looked pretty good yesterday.
  • Dunno why everyone's whining about the road surface. Belgium's full of cobbles that they've not bothered to resurface yet and people can't wait to mythologize it.

We just need to find a fancy continental name for pot holes, basically.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    ok I'm at 65km to go and I've seen as much of WvA as I have any other rider.

Meanwhile, MvdP is always buried somewhere in the group.

------------

(unrelated) this course reminds me a lot of Harrogate.
  • rick_chasey
    Bettiol's race was really turned on his head when Trentin crashed out. Was riding for him really wasn't he?

Very strong on the day.
  • ddraver
    Si, Bettiol up the road and Trentin sitting in the chase group would have been a great position
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Dunno why everyone's whining about the road surface. Belgium's full of cobbles that they've not bothered to resurface yet and people can't wait to mythologize it.

Nids-de-poule has a nice ring to it, literally means nest of chicken.
  • Pross
    Inverted pave
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Dunno why everyone's whining about the road surface. Belgium's full of cobbles that they've not bothered to resurface yet and people can't wait to mythologize it.

Please tell me that's a genuine French name for potholes, it's fantastic

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Please tell me that's a genuine French name for potholes, it's fantastic

It is the colloquial name for potholes in french.

Some say that the term originated because when roads were just earthen, and depressions in the road surface common, chickens would use depressions as nests.
    But it seems pretty unlikely to me. It's too risky for a chicken to make a nest in a road. Not just because of unobservant carts, horses, and cows coming along, but also as exposed to predators like foxes. By nature chickens make nests in place with loose organic material like in heaps of straw, and/or in secluded locations like under bushes, esp where there are loose fallen leaves.

I think the term really refers to the holes in loose soil which chickens make, or come across and make use of, to wriggle around in and shed their feathers of parasites. Chickens may well have found, and used, suitable holes in earthen roads back then, and been seen in those holes, but nests they weren't, even if people referred to them as such.

And then when roads started to be paved, the term continued to be used for places where bits of surface broke off.
  • I'm having great fun watching BMX freestyle on delay. Nothing to do with the tricks, I'm just enjoying winding my eldest up by making up random tricks, like the 350 sidestep blancmange.

Oddly it's my refusal to use multiples of 180 that makes them really angry.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

People complain about the road surface because roads in scotland are shïte. Except the bit's that's been just fixed. And that'll only last a week or two. And when there are cobbles that one may want to wax lyrical about the council just gives up when fixing them and just slaps a bunch of tar on top. Like Frederick St., in New Town Edinburgh
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Lots of riders practicing in and around Stirling today, some with team car support.
    Climb up to the finish at the castle is going to interesting on a tt bike. big (flat) cobbles will be horrible if it’s at all damp.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    drhaggis said:

People complain about the road surface because roads in scotland are shïte.

All is relative. If you want to degrade yourself to experience really shite roads then pay a visit to south Oxfordshire.

I had some friends up from there a couple of weeks back and they were well impressed by the road conditions. Finally spotted a pot hole and went 'oh look, just like home' 😉
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

MvdP and Pog make races, they are willing to try things in the hope of winning, and that often pays off.
    WvA very, very rarely makes the race, he just follows, and then can't go with the main attack, or gets outsprinted by the likes of MvdP at the end.

On a team level, the danes are also willing to make a race.

Wout is a great all round rider, but he isn't on the same level as the other two in one dayers.

The problem is, if WVA doesn't have the stellar lactate clearance rate of the other two, he can't make the race in that same way. By the time he recovers from his attack the others have long recovered and possibly countered him already. It's a genuine conundrum for him similar to a super strong rider who just doesn't have a sprint like Sep Vanmarcke or Stefan Küng, who are often there at the end of races, but can't ever grab the win.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ethan Vernon takes the elimination, fun race, though he could probably do without the splinters from a crash earlier
  • Pross
    Neutralising the final sprint in the women’s Madison just as GB we’re about to wrap it up having done several laps after the crash seems a bit unfair. Restarting with 9 to go.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Very odd decision, they should have neutralised it immediately rather than leave it for several laps until the finishing sprint was underway
  • Pross
    Restarting with GB at the back too. Good old UCI rulings