Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    mrb123 said:

Wonder how the watts from that MvDP attack compared with his famous Strade Bianche one. Both massive digs.

He's got the biggest 15 second burst on a climb in the peloton, it's crazy. The Poggio as well, BOOM and he's gone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    Pross said:

51 finishers. I didn’t think there were that many still going.

Riders don’t seem to like the course.

Tbh, once you’re 2 minutes back with less than 5 laps remaining there was no point in continuing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Tbh, once you’re 2 minutes back with less than 5 laps remaining there was no point in continuing.
    It was the same at Harrogate although the weather was worse then. Think there were even fewer finishers then.

They have a broom wagon to stop them getting lapped as well.

But like you say unless you have a team mate close enough up the road that you might be able to help if they have an issue there's no point riding on as your race is done.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

It was the same at Harrogate although the weather was worse then. Think there were even fewer finishers then.

They have a broom wagon to stop them getting lapped as well.

But like you say unless you have a team mate close enough up the road that you might be able to help if they have an issue there's no point riding on as your race is done.

Yeah, Harrogate had fewer - 46. Qatar also very few - 53. The least in my era was only 20 in 1995 in Colombia
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    pblakeney said:

Pot Still was full of Dutch & Belgians during the protest.
    Was still full of Belgies on the last lap. Belgian Guy near us was actually upset when vdp crashed, wanted a fair win.
    I popped in for a comfort break and swift pint, then oitside to see vdp heading home.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You had the probable top 3 that most folk would pick and another that would in anybodys top 5, that was the first 4 in the race.
    The course delivered this so it can’t be that bad a course.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Thanks Hanshot first, pblakeny and others for great suggestions- area around St Vincents was great for moving between good viewpoints, with much thinner crowds.
    And the Whisky Pot.
  • RichN95.
    Wow. That pursuit final. I won’t say the result. Just watch it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Dan Bigham sooooooo close to beating Ganna there
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

It's the spoiler thread, it's allowed ;)

And I did
  • bobmcstuff
    Is anyone doing a proper highlights show? Iplayer is bewildering...
  • RichN95. said:

It's the spoiler thread, it's allowed ;)

And I did
    Saved us all 4 minutes. :p
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

It was all over with 500m to go. Or so I thought.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    edited August 2023
    Mad_Malx said:

Thanks Hanshot first, pblakeny and others for great suggestions- area around St Vincents was great for moving between good viewpoints, with much thinner crowds.
    And the Whisky Pot.

We must have been there at the same time. I moved on the last lap from St. Vincent Street to just outside the Pot till the front 4 had passed and popped in for a double to watch the end on TV.
    The Dutch crowd I started with were well chuffed! 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    3 to go and even with the spoilt result I still can't believe he's going to win...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff

Poor Bigham. That was so close! You've got to think silver against Ganna is a good result for him though.
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

3 to go and even with the spoilt result I still can't believe he's going to win...

Yeah I couldn't either.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Tandem racing is nuts. They should do a tandem madison. I'd pay to watch that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Fumes be damned! Proper dernys FTW!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Tandem sprinting is brilliant, isn't it?
  • RichN95.
    alan_a said:

I had the best day doing start and finish line mic duties...

I even managed to run up Montrose St 5 mins before the lead convoy

BEST DAY EVER

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvmjR1hsnUn/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Nice video. It's like you're in the race.

What do your mic duties actually entail? Are you commentating?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    But did you get arrested?
  • RichN95.
    andyp said:

Tandem sprinting is brilliant, isn't it?

I would like it if there was a pool of evenly matched pilots and they were randomly drawn. (Language obviously a problem)
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537

Trentin didn't look happy.

There was a gap between the group with the Danish lads and the group with the Belgian lads there. Gap to the break is very small now.

Was fortunate to have had a chat with Trentin, he was pretty sore hand all swollen and bandaged. Was squeezed by Skuins and caught barrier sticking out! I’d agree he wasn’t happy with it but great guy!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The omnium points race was completely banjaxed by random point allocations, nobody had any idea what was going on. Larsen believed he was in 3rd, until he wasn't anymore. Viviani was outraged
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited August 2023
    Best WC RR I've ever seen. Unbelievably hard and no one really screwed up. Denmark did a great job of trying to make the race really hard for Pedersen's benefit. Belgium used their numbers well enough and even Remco pitched in with attacks (for Wout if we are being extremely generous 😉) even though he didn't have it today. The Netherlands did well enough to get MvdP back when he was faffing about at the back as he is wont to do so often. Not sure if van Baarle did work there. Otherwise van Baarle was quite the disappointment since he was basically absent from everything in the race.

MvdP was a different level on his attacks. Even on his first attack after Pedersen went, he decimated the remnants of the Peloton.
    Was incredible how no one could follow the second. He has the highest peak in the world when he is on a good day. Can utterly dictate a race and no one can follow.

Considering how many people consider WVA the best rider in the world, his mostly passive style loses him more big races than he should be losing when considering his vast abilities.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    edited August 2023
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

All those 51 who bothered to finish (i.e. not withdrawing because of crash or mechanical) have my admiration. I always have that feeling for finishers in one-day races

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

The omnium points race was completely banjaxed by random point allocations, nobody had any idea what was going on. Larsen believed he was in 3rd, until he wasn't anymore. Viviani was outraged

I understood that the points allocation had been changed compared to last year, so was again similar to what it was 10-20 years ago. Don't ask me for the details. But surely the riders should have known this?