TDF 2023: Stage 16:- Passy to Combloux, 22.4km ITT ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Bl00dy time trials ruining our tour ...grrrrr 🤔😁
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Someone is going to be best ..... It was a top performance for real
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    jimmyjams said:

With about 20 minutes of the TT left, Rob Hatch confidently announced that everybody was safe by 2-3 minutes from being Hors Delay...............
    ........well, 20 minutes later, the Cofidis rider Alexis Renard, who finished last at 10:46, was outside the 33% time limit today. :'(

Renard missed the cut-off by only one second – maybe the jury will be generous.
    Perhaps since Renard was one of those riders at the beginning of the TT who fell at the first curve – apparently one of the white road markings there was slippy.
    Yeah they should let him in ..and he is french
  • mididoctors
    jimmyjams said:

Coupled with Wout's extra-ordinary performances, Jumbo appear to have reverted to their ancestor, Rabbobank.
    Too many unbelievable performaces sadly.

Coincidentally, or not, the Jumbo DS Grischa Niemann rode for Rabobank. In 2013 he admitted that during his cycling career, he sometimes used EPO between 2000 and 2003.
    But on the other hand, Gianetti (!) is in charge at UAE and the Slovenian Cycling Federation never tests its professionals.
    ????
    Yeah gianetti wasn't shy of needles .

I do find it amazing he is cycling tbh ...but whatever
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    An acquaintance of mine suggested that Pogacar lost 10 secs at the bike change, 25 secs as Vingegaard had a better aerodynamic position when needed (on the flat & downhill), 20 secs towards the end because Vingegaard was spurred on by hearing he had a marked lead (and Pogacar negatively affected by hearing this), and 5 secs because for three-quarters of stage Pogacar rode with his cycling glasses up on his helmet, not before his eyes. In total that's one minute of the final 1-38.

It may be true but it amused me to think having the glasses up could be measurable contributory factor, and thus whether it could be even more than 5 secs over that distance.
  • mididoctors

amrushton said:

So what are they taking?

Maybe you don’t remember but back in the day we had a pretty good idea what they were all on.

The science is always ahead of the testing and if they were taking something you would have to know what you are testing for and make the substance(s) illegal

We’d have heard rumours by now. Do you not remember cycling in the 90s and 00s?

We all knew it.
    Yeah ..... We ALL knew EPO by 94 some much earlier... What's this new drug no one is talking about
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2023
    jimmyjams said:

An acquaintance of mine suggested that Pogacar lost 10 secs at the bike change, 25 secs as Vingegaard had a better aerodynamic position when needed (on the flat & downhill), 20 secs towards the end because Vingegaard was spurred on by hearing he had a marked lead (and Pogacar negatively affected by hearing this), and 5 secs because for three-quarters of stage Pogacar rode with his cycling glasses up on his helmet, not before his eyes. In total that's one minute of the final 1-38.

It may be true but it amused me to think having the glasses up could be measurable contributory factor, and thus whether it could be even more than 5 secs over that distance.

I remember Some one calculated fignon's pony tail drag back in the day in a letter to the comic ( jesus I'm old)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970

jimmyjams said:

I remember Some one calculated fignon's pony tail drag back in the day in a letter to the comic ( jesus I'm old)
    I must admit to finding the obsession with weight confusing when riders were wearing gold chains. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited July 2023
    JimD666 said:

Wout's performances last year in the Tour and again this year are other worldly. No way should he be one of the last 2 domestiques on a mountain stage, but he usually is.
    And then there's Jonas's performance today, and others have highlighted, he wasn't anything until the last 18 months or so.
    Common thread, Jumbo.....

For all our sakes, I pray JV, WvA and Jumbo aren't doing anything dodgy, but it is perfectly reasonable to be sceptical of their performances.

Wasn't the same thing being said about Froome and Sky?

Just finished listening to a BBC Podcast revisiting Pantani's death and one of the things that struck me was that the major Pharmaceutical Companies now let the Anti Doping groups know what's in their pipeline for release. This gives them a chance to develop tests before the stuff hits the market. I know that leaves a "backyard" chemist developing something but who in the right mind would take that?!

I'd rather go Jonas just got everything right on the day. Pog didn't.
    Chris Froome won stage 19 of the 2018 giro by 3 minutes having attacked from 80km out against a weaker field. It's routinely thought of as one of the best rides of the decade. Only 5 riders finished within 3 minutes of Vingergaard today in a 22km stage. Today was utterly ridiculous.

Neither Froome, nor anyone else from Sky, ever did anything like today.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

Wout's performances last year in the Tour and again this year are other worldly. No way should he be one of the last 2 domestiques on a mountain stage, but he usually is.
    And then there's Jonas's performance today, and others have highlighted, he wasn't anything until the last 18 months or so.
    Common thread, Jumbo.....

For all our sakes, I pray JV, WvA and Jumbo aren't doing anything dodgy, but it is perfectly reasonable to be sceptical of their performances.

Wasn't the same thing being said about Froome and Sky?

Just finished listening to a BBC Podcast revisiting Pantani's death and one of the things that struck me was that the major Pharmaceutical Companies now let the Anti Doping groups know what's in their pipeline for release. This gives them a chance to develop tests before the stuff hits the market. I know that leaves a "backyard" chemist developing something but who in the right mind would take that?!

I'd rather go Jonas just got everything right on the day. Pog didn't.
    Chris Froome won stage 19 of the 2018 giro by 3 minutes having attacked from 80km out against a weaker field. It's routinely thought of as one of the best rides of the decade. Only 5 riders finished within 3 minutes of Vingergaard today in a 22km stage. Today was utterly ridiculous.

Better Froome, nor anyone else from Sky, ever for anything like today.
    What's the top tier spread on a UK hill climb ?
  • mididoctors
    I guess we should investigate.......but honestly anyone got any leads on the next super drug?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Look it's very simple ..... Altitude camps are the new epo and reduced racing programs and MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF ANALYSED data is the new steroids .... I don't think these guys are on some new gear

Well we don't know do we. It may be that Jumbo have hit on some new training paradigm and Jonas is just especially suited to it.

I don't think today is explainable just by them being very thorough in using well understood training techniques like altitude camps - unless they are using them in some new way. That just smacks of the "what am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass" line and we know how that turned out .

He's demolished top riders by such a margin that unless he's a once in a several generation athlete there has to be something novel. If he is that talented then he should be winning not just Tours but just about any race with a significant hill in it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    There is so much self interest for journalists to report or break this new drug story . I can't see it not coming out in short order .
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

So what are they taking?

Maybe you don’t remember but back in the day we had a pretty good idea what they were all on.

that reminds me https://youtu.be/MIl5RxhLZ5U
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    At least we're not debating whether the bike change cost Pog the Tour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    phreak said:

Has there been a more dominant time trial in Tour history? I'm struggling to think of one. Not Indurain. Not Ullrich. Not Armstrong.

As a winning margin as a proportion of the overall time, this is the only one I can find better, from 1961. Even then the gap to third is less

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I'd wait and see what happens tomorrow before judging today too much. One of the things that was widely expected when doping finally (?) came under control would be that riders would simply be less consistent - it's impossible to ride flat out day after day. Vingegaard might absolutely flatline tomorrow, as unlikely as it seems right now.

The comparison to Froome in the Giro feels a bit flawed though - that was a normal road race stage, with all the potential shenanigans, deals, expectations and arguments in the peloton about who does what to help him. There's none of that to help in an ITT.
  • pblakeney

I guess we should investigate.......but honestly anyone got any leads on the next super drug?

I heard a radio documentary back in the late 90s discussing "the next thing".
    Wish I could remember enough to find it. It wasn't drugs, it was genes or DNA.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

jimmyjams said:

I remember Fignon – I was young and camping in France the day in 1984 he took the jersey - I followed the TdF on France-Inter radio and it was so exciting listening with no pictures or TV - like some people still praise radio-commentaries of football matches being better than TV coverage (not that i agree, but anyway it's an opinion, and was true for me that Fignon day)

I find the idea of a ponytail-drag quite logical, but maybe I am wrong, because you see lots of female cyclists with ponytails. Also many female track runners have ponytails, even over the 'short' 400 m distance, where I would think a drag effect may be very significant.

I am happy if a ponytail has no negative effect – for years I had hair no longer than 1 cm, but with hairdressers being closed during the Covid lockdowns, I let it grow, and now have a (short) ponytail myself!

• mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

So basically Jonas and jumbo are the X men
  • mididoctors
    It was a shocking performance...he looked annihilated at the finish
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    pblakeney said:

Genes? MvdP then...
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Well according to Wikipedia (if you can trust it) Vingegaard is 6kg lighter than Pogacar for virtually the same height. That's got to have a significant effect over 22Km with 1000m of climbing. Anyone want to run it through the calculator?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    It's been clear for the past two years that in GTs, Pogacar and Vingegaard are head and shoulders above anyone else, and this race has just reinforced this. Today was always expected to be a showdown between the two of them, so I'm slightly surprised at the reaction to that.

I thought one of them would make a statement, but wasn't sure which one as they've both looked to be in great form. I'm slightly surprised that Vingegaard was so superior, but it's now clear, with hindsight, that Jumbo-Visma were confident he would win this time trial by some margin.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    I thought there would maybe be 20-30 seconds one way or another as it was such a short TT. Struggling to comprehend the near catch of Pog and Rodriguez…
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    What a photo.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

So basically Jonas and jumbo are the X men
    The little snippet that has remained lodged in my brain was that 96% of his potential clients were sportsmen. Alluded to American as that's where he was based at the time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    With modern turbo technology, I bet Pog and Vin have done replicas of today's TT stage countless times since the route was known, through apps like Wahoo RGT and its "magic roads" feature.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pogacar probably did the second best TT of his career today
    Twitter: @RichN95