Ronde van Vlaanderen 2023 *Spoilers* thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Pressure on WvA this week is going to be immense

He hurt his knee more badly than we realised.
    I was expecting more ...he looked empty tbh though
    I think he needs to look at targeting races a bit more. Seems to be in form on the warm up races then not quite there for the big ones.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited April 2023
    Pog has won 8 days out of 16 this year.

10 out of his last 18 days racing, including two monuments plus two week long race GCs.
  • Pross said:

I think he needs to look at targeting races a bit more. Seems to be in form on the warm up races then not quite there for the big ones.
    Maybe he struggles with the extra distance?

I think the only 220km+ race hes won is MSR.

He will be under a lot of pressure next week.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Pross said:

It's pretty ridiculous they give him a hard time . The guy is one of the best I have ever seen ...

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Still buzzing from Pog's decisive attack. To do that to MvdP on a power climb like that is truly extraordinary.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    gsk82 said:

ddraver said:

LaPorte up to Pog alone.

Cat. Pigeons.

That's clever
    It really wasn't. Meant Laporte was cooked on the Koppenberg and got dropped. Idiotic tactics.
  • andyp

That drone shot is speed

It's a cable cam, not a drone.
  • andyp
    Great race with a richly deserved podium.

For all the talk of how innovative JV's tactics are, with some justification, they were terrible today and deserved what they got.
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

That drone shot is speed

It's a cable cam, not a drone.
    Whatever
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo is getting stick for it tactics but they may have got the call WvA didn't have it earlier than we think . Left them with only desperate moves
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

Pross said:

Who knows what the effect of the crash was on him.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    andyp said:

For all the talk of how innovative JV's tactics are, with some justification, they were terrible today and deserved what they got.

I'm not sure many teams actually got tactics right. Alpecin were a mess and caught out repeatedly, which must have cost MvdP a bit at the crunch, while even UAE were caught out by a split. The race was pretty chaotic with no team really taking control.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pidcock 8 mins down

Assuming he was 'trying', it'll be a big ask to perform in the next 3 weeks.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    His head went out of it as soon as he couldn't hold the wheels.

I don't think the perfect tactics today would have helped anyone beat Pog.

Not sure there is anything more to it than that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Agree. Pogačar today was A1. The guy is seriously impressive.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

Jumbo is getting stick for it tactics but they may have got the call WvA didn't have it earlier than we think . Left them with only desperate moves

If that were the case, van Hooydonck should not have dropped back to WVA.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    phreak said:

andyp said:

I'm not sure many teams actually got tactics right. Alpecin were a mess and caught out repeatedly, which must have cost MvdP a bit at the crunch, while even UAE were caught out by a split. The race was pretty chaotic with no team really taking control.
    I agree. Was chaotic and not just because of the many crashes. The strongest rider won in such a dominant manner today, that the result would have been the same regardless though.
    Still leaves a lot for teams to analyze and improve upon.
  • m.r.m.
    Has MvdP ever used teammates to set up a win?

Best I can think of was MSR this year and that wasn't much. WVA closed did more for him closing the gap to Ganna, than Kragh Andersen did on the Poggio.
  • andyp

Why drop Van Hooyodonck out of the break to pace him up then? If they knew WVA didn't have it, then that makes zero sense.
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

andyp said:

Lack of truce by UAE jumbo and alpecin to share the early workload.
  • andyp
    m.r.m. said:

Has MvdP ever used teammates to set up a win?

Best I can think of was MSR this year and that wasn't much. WVA closed did more for him closing the gap to Ganna, than Kragh Andersen did on the Poggio.

I think MvdP has the same issue that Sean Kelly had for a lot of his career; namely that he takes up so much of the team's budget that they don't have much left over to provide top tier support. He's probably only got Kragh Andersen and Vermeersch who are half decent. (I'd have made the case for both Dillier and Gogl before they went to Alpecin, but they've been completely anonymous).
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Why drop Van Hooyodonck out of the break to pace him up then? If they knew WVA didn't have it, then that makes zero sense.
    Because laporte hadn't got it and vH was starting to yo yo on the climbs in the break .. it was ramshackle . Sub optimal . In hindsight what was the best move by Jumbo

All the teams up front had a dilemia .

What should of jumbo done if they committed to the break WVA was still going to get dropped if the break was brought back ... I thought vH had a chance earlier on but he was fading compared to trientin and mads

It was kinda complicated
  • mididoctors
    It was pretty fast ? Or not ? 44.1 kmh
  • mididoctors
    Fastest ever
  • mididoctors
    Pogs positioning going into the climbs and the fact he did not persist with his first big attack meant he had learnt from last year .. so it's not all just everyone else failing. MvdP was very impressive too
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Pidcock 8 mins down

Alternatively he sat up once he knew he wasn’t getting back and has saved a bit for the coming weeks.
  • andyp
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Pross said:

Pidcock 8 mins down

Alternatively he sat up once he knew he wasn’t getting back and has saved a bit for the coming weeks.
    Short of match fitness in the last few weeks (and possibly training); he'll be better in a few weeks. And the first XC World Cup is in 6 weeks....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."