Ronde van Vlaanderen 2023 *Spoilers* thread

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited April 2023 in Pro race
Let's get this started.

My team had been finalised.

Chimay White is the leader. Duval (standard & tripel) are the second option. Leffe and Delerium Tremens are domestiques. (I can't do them all as I'm going to watch Dara O'Briain in the evening).

As it was April Fool's Day today make sure you smell nice with Monument by Spartacus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2RAxV7HNw
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Any gcn offer codes going..? 😲
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Enjoy Dara's show, we saw him in Oxford last month I think it was, and he's even better live than I anticipated.

Exceedingly smart, witty, funny and intelligent performer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited April 2023
    ddraver said:

No access to any coverage?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    daniel_b said:

Enjoy Dara's show, we saw him in Oxford last month I think it was, and he's even better live than I anticipated.

Exceedingly smart, witty, funny and intelligent performer.

It's the third or fourth time I'll see him. I consider him the Pogacar of comedy
  • pinno
    Anyhoo, tomorrow seems unusually* mouth watering given the form of certain protagonists.

*Personally, my favourite is P-R but this years Ronde d F is forcing me out early for a ride so that I can watch most of the action.
  • RichN95.
    pinno said:

Anyhoo, tomorrow seems unusually* mouth watering given the form of certain protagonists.

*Personally, my favourite is P-R but this years Ronde d F is forcing me out early for a ride so that I can watch most of the action.

I think Roubaix will have a few more credible contenders - Ganna for example. I'm not sure this race has more than three.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    ddraver said:

Try this: https://welcome.globalcyclingnetwork.com/lanternerouge
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    RichN95. said:

pinno said:

I think Roubaix will have a few more credible contenders - Ganna for example. I'm not sure this race has more than three.
    It's probably the big 3 along with a JV dark horse allowed to ride away due to not wanting to drag WVA along to the finish. There ought to be a reasonable chance for Laporte or Benoot to do a Terpstra.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pinno
    Anyone from Jumbo Visma I think.
  • RichN95.
    pinno said:

I think we can count out Tim Van Dijke, who I have never heard of before.
  • pinno
    RichN95. said:

pinno said:

I think we can count out Tim Van Dijke, who I have never heard of before.
    Me neither but I looked him up.
    All teams need canon fodder. He'll be in the early break, you'll see.
  • Duvel in the early break for me, with Leffe controlling the peloton after that.

Enjoy the day everyone - it’s Ronde Sunday!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    RichN95. said:

pinno said:

van Baarle will be kicking himself. The race is made up for him to go solo while the other three watch each other.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Would MVDP and Pogacar really watch someone ride away? I found e3 tactically dull (I only saw the final 50km) because all 3 of them chase everything. No one was ever getting away from the other 2.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    ddraver said:

https://gcn.eu/cycling15

From the latest cycling podcast newsletter, 15% off
  • phreak
    gsk82 said:

Would MVDP and Pogacar really watch someone ride away? I found e3 tactically dull (I only saw the final 50km) because all 3 of them chase everything. No one was ever getting away from the other 2.

Surely the point of having numbers is whether those without numbers would put in repeated efforts to close gaps, thus giving WvA an easier ride?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    My team:
    Saison Dupont organic, Val Dieu blonde, Duvel, Westmalle Dubbel & Tripel, St Bernadus 12
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

Just seen that Hatch & Stephens are on for 'World feed'. I wish that was available for Eurosport/GCN viewers.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Still no breakaway.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Echelons!
  • phreak
    A lot of matches getting burned already.
  • MvdP on the wrong side of a 30 second gap
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    MvdP is done here.
  • MvdP’s day is really not going to be a good one if they don’t sort this out soon.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    phreak said:

MvdP is done here.

Think you might be right. They look a touch more organised now, but it's 40" and Quickstep put DeClercq on the front - Trek and Ineos also pulling group 1
    It was Bahrain that did the original damage
  • phreak
    I wonder why JV and UAE aren't drilling the front?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    phreak said:

I wonder why JV and UAE aren't drilling the front?

Probably don't want to use a lot of energy here only to end up having to control the race for another 220km