A bonailie, Nicola

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was not in line with our gross contributions. It was vaguely in line with the pre-rebate calculation of our gross contribution, which makes it meaningless as it did not refer to the amount we send to the EU in any way.

This was not a gross/net confusion, it was just a big fat lie. HTH and surprised there is anyone so active on the Brexit thread who feels they can state they were not aware of this.

Not a case of confusion, I just wasn't stated on the side the bus - it would have looked a bit odd if they had. As I said above, saying that our contribution is £350m per week is technically correct provided that net was not mentioned - which it wasn't.

Also as mentioned above, the increase in NHS budget exceeds either the gross or the net amounts, so in term of delivering the NHS funding promise it was absolutely spot on.

Hence the reasonable statement in the side of the bus :)
    Stopped reading again?

It was not in line with our gross contributions. It was vaguely in line with the pre-rebate calculation of our gross contribution, which makes it meaningless as it did not refer to the amount we send to the EU in any way.

Maybe you have. See the stats I posted upthread.

However what are your thoughts on the increase in the NHS budget exceeding both the net and gross amounts?
    So you are saying that's it was okay to print bollox on the side of a bus because the NHS is getting more money than what was pledged by leaving the EU.

...even though the lie was probably critical to the Brexit vote and we are no longer in the EU.

So by that logic - the logic which is that the wonderful Tories have given the NHS more than what was printed on the side of a bus, have you calculated:
    1. The difference in the growth in the economy between being in the EU or out with the EU
    2. The economic cost of leaving the EU
    3. What budget the government could have given the NHS as an EU state
    4. The difference ^
    5. What the government could offer workers who are striking (obviously because any offers are based on economic forecast) if we were still in the EU
    6. The value of CAP payments
    7. The loss to key services of essential migrant workers
    8. The full value of rebates
    9. The value of EU Urban and Rural development/environmental funding to our economy and to communities?

No, I expect you haven't (and I haven't either) but using the binary: 'is the NHS getting more than the £350m per week promised by leaving the EU?' is utter bollox because that is separate to the lie and quite possibly, the govt. could have given the NHS more had our economic forecast been better as an EU member state.

I tell my daughters that I am taking them to Alton Towers.
    They look forward to it for months.
    We can't afford to go to Alton Towers so we don't go.
    But it's okay, I took them to the local park and I bought them a lollipop. I dunno why they are unhappy, there's rides at the park and you can't get that sort of lollipop at Alton Towers.

But I've explained why it isn't. And your claim that we might have been able to give even more to the NHS in some parallel universe where we didn't leave the EU (which only exists in the minds of a few Cake Stoppers) isn't relevant to my point.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This was not a gross/net confusion, it was just a big fat lie. HTH and surprised there is anyone so active on the Brexit thread who feels they can state they were not aware of this.

Not a case of confusion, I just wasn't stated on the side the bus - it would have looked a bit odd if they had. As I said above, saying that our contribution is £350m per week is technically correct provided that net was not mentioned - which it wasn't.

Also as mentioned above, the increase in NHS budget exceeds either the gross or the net amounts, so in term of delivering the NHS funding promise it was absolutely spot on.

Stopped reading again?

However what are your thoughts on the increase in the NHS budget exceeding both the net and gross amounts?
    My thoughts are that the half of the writing on the bus that was not a lie was childishly simplistic.

But as that was not the context in which you brought the bus up in this thread, it is entirely irrelevant. Bring it back in the Brexit thread if you like.
    The NHS budget increase is very relevant as it is what flows from the savings obtained from not contributing to the EU. It even said it on the side of the bus. I can see why you're reluctant to address the point however.
    Take it to the relevant thread if you want to discuss Brexit for ever. You objected to the lie being called a lie and that's still a lie.
    I've explained why it isn't. Sorry if that doesn't fit with your narrative, but there you go.
    I'm going to stop sending £136 to Virgin Media. Let's buy food instead.

Sorry if you can't understand simple concepts.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

My thoughts are that the half of the writing on the bus that was not a lie was childishly simplistic.

But as that was not the context in which you brought the bus up in this thread, it is entirely irrelevant. Bring it back in the Brexit thread if you like.
    The NHS budget increase is very relevant as it is what flows from the savings obtained from not contributing to the EU. It even said it on the side of the bus. I can see why you're reluctant to address the point however.
    Take it to the relevant thread if you want to discuss Brexit for ever. You objected to the lie being called a lie and that's still a lie.
    I've explained why it isn't. Sorry if that doesn't fit with your narrative, but there you go.

You've now gone for the Rick approach of being condescending rather than answer my point above. I'm not impressed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

You've now gone for the Rick approach of being condescending rather than answer my point above. I'm not impressed.
    OK, describe what is wrong with my statement here, based on my having a deal with Virgin Media where I get a bill with £136 discounted every month by £56.

"I send £136 to Virgin Media every month. Let's buy food instead."
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

It is a lie. It's not a narrative. I don't know how you endorse the odious, duplicitous Bojo's, Cummings and the Rees-Mogg (and his ERG cohort) weasels.

"The UK’s independent Statistics Authority said the EU membership fee of £19 billion a year, or £350 million a week, is “not an amount of money that the UK pays to the EU each year”.

"For Wales, the Boris Johnson Brexit bus lie was even more misleading because Wales received £245 million more from the EU than it contributed. "

Almost immediately after the referendum many Leave politicians admitted there was no £350 million a week going to the NHS.

This prompted a critical response from Sir David Norgrove, UK Statistics Chief, who said the then foreign secretary’s use of the £350 million figure was “a clear misuse of official statistics”.

"On 11th September, 2019, Boris Johnson appeared to accept the £350m a week was inaccurate...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

It is a lie. It's not a narrative. I don't know how you endorse the odious, duplicitous Bojo's, Cummings and the Rees-Mogg (and his ERG cohort) weasels.

"The UK’s independent Statistics Authority said the EU membership fee of £19 billion a year, or £350 million a week, is “not an amount of money that the UK pays to the EU each year”.

"For Wales, the Boris Johnson Brexit bus lie was even more misleading because Wales received £245 million more from the EU than it contributed. "

Almost immediately after the referendum many Leave politicians admitted there was no £350 million a week going to the NHS.

This prompted a critical response from Sir David Norgrove, UK Statistics Chief, who said the then foreign secretary’s use of the £350 million figure was “a clear misuse of official statistics”.

"On 11th September, 2019, Boris Johnson appeared to accept the £350m a week was inaccurate...

It's not about endorsing people' it's about whether what was said on the side of the bus as reasonable or not.

Have you read what I posted above (several times) about gross vs net. And about the increase in the NHS budget exceeding either of those measures? Because it look like you're just ploughing on without taking any heed of those.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

It's not about endorsing people' it's about whether what was said on the side of the bus as reasonable or not.

Have you read what I posted above (several times) about gross vs net. And about the increase in the NHS budget exceeding either of those measures? Because it look like you're just ploughing on without taking any heed of those.
    So you know those tweets that people who should know better put out that say things like, if you reversed the fuel duty freeze this would pay for NHS/teacher/sexual harassment panda pay rises until the end of time?

And you know how that's nonsense because it all goes into general taxation to pay for everything, only it doesn't because we run a deficit?

Can you spot the similarities?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

Yes I have read what you posted and I did read it several times because you posted the same old merry go round several times.

Many people (including the purveyor of the message Bojo) admitted that it was a distortion of the fact but you continue on in Dominic Cummings style as if repetition of your lame, back pedaling argument will actually stick.

Some sh*t is just too runny to stick.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited February 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

As mentioned (by me and several others) the NHS budget increase, as it stands today, is almost entirely disassociated from leaving the EU. If you think the small percentage remaining (that is not accounted for by Jeremy Hunt’s statement in 2018) can be attributed to a Brexit dividend then perhaps show some evidence?

You mentioned rationale, but you’re not applying any. Correlation does not equal causation, as you well know.

And for clarity, the side of bus statement was not factually inaccurate, but was structured in a way to misleading. It doesn’t hold water and it was supported by a proven liar. Of course you’ll carry on defending it, but I’m not sure what your motive is.

Shouldn’t you be focusing on what the Tories are doing well? It might save you time. The NHS budget increase was one of the few things - stop trying to shoehorn it into a Brexit argument.

* and apologies to the Scots, I know this isn’t the right thread *
  • First.Aspect
    Accounting for inflation, what has the increase in NHS funding actually been since 2016.

Stevo, since your maths isn't great, that's over 6 years ago now.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    edited March 2023

The outstanding payments still due to the EU dwarf the last few years increases and will continue for another 40-odd years.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,253
    Forces ahead in the polls.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-leadership-contest-kate-forbes-is-preferred-nicola-sturgeon-successor-among-voters-poll-shows-as-satisfaction-with-humza-yousaf-as-health-secretary-low-4041875

I think they might need to have different parties. This feels like a very broad coalition of views to be actually governing.
  • First.Aspect
    Classic. Rated based in past performance, she wins, because she's not had any past performance.

Say it all.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-leadership-contest-kate-forbes-is-preferred-nicola-sturgeon-successor-among-voters-poll-shows-as-satisfaction-with-humza-yousaf-as-health-secretary-low-4041875

I think they might need to have different parties. This feels like a very broad coalition of views to be actually governing.

but if you are a single interest pressure group, or politician, your best hope of getting your way is to take over a political party
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    edited March 2023

but if you are a single interest pressure group, or politician, your best hope of getting your way is to take over a political party
    I thought the SNP were a single issue party who incorporated other issues to get into power so they could get their way. Same theory, just bigger.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

Yes I have read what you posted and I did read it several times because you posted the same old merry go round several times.

Many people (including the purveyor of the message Bojo) admitted that it was a distortion of the fact but you continue on in Dominic Cummings style as if repetition of your lame, back pedaling argument will actually stick.

You wilfully ignoring the facts because you're already convinced that it's a lie is what's lame. Try addressing my point about the amount put into to the NHS vs the EU contributions instead of the vague Eurobollox you've posted above.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

As mentioned (by me and several others) the NHS budget increase, as it stands today, is almost entirely disassociated from leaving the EU. If you think the small percentage remaining (that is not accounted for by Jeremy Hunt’s statement in 2018) can be attributed to a Brexit dividend then perhaps show some evidence?

You mentioned rationale, but you’re not applying any. Correlation does not equal causation, as you well know.

And for clarity, the side of bus statement was not factually inaccurate, but was structured in a way to misleading. It doesn’t hold water and it was supported by a proven liar. Of course you’ll carry on defending it, but I’m not sure what your motive is.

Shouldn’t you be focusing on what the Tories are doing well? It might save you time. The NHS budget increase was one of the few things - stop trying to shoehorn it into a Brexit argument.

* and apologies to the Scots, I know this isn’t the right thread *
    I'm just looking at the facts. Are you denying that the increase in the budget is less than the EU contributions?

Show me evidence that there is no link and you may have a point.
  • pinno
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

You wilfully ignoring the facts because you're already convinced that it's a lie is what's lame. Try addressing my point about the amount put into to the NHS vs the EU contributions instead of the vague Eurobollox you've posted above.
    No. Stop deflecting.

The current contributions is both irrelevant and is hindsight.

We have established that the bus slogan was misleading and factually incorrect because it did not take into the fact that the rebate made the potential payments to the NHS at £280m.
    In fact, you even said 'fair point'.
    Sir David Norgrove, head of UK statistics said it was “a clear misuse of official statistics” but oh no, you know better than a man who is professionally employed to make that conclusion and was knighted for services to the low paid and the family justice system, as well as being a trustee of Amnesty International.

Norgrove was private secretary to M. Thatcher btw.
    Don't you have a picture of her tattooed to your 4rse?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    No he’s got a portrait of William Hague tattooed on his arris. Two Northern soul mates.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Don’t feed the troll!

This was done to death at the time. Only one person in the world is suggesting this is either a new topic or not concluded.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

God I'm surprised at that news. I thought she'd see it to the bitter end.

Ummmm...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,253
    She'd just had enough - no other reason for leaving then...
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Blimey
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    weird innit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Husband released without charge (for now) apparently
  • First.Aspect
    I think of all the scandals he’s being investigated for this is the weakest. It might not stick according to the economist.
  • Stevo_666

I think of all the scandals he’s being investigated for this is the weakest. It might not stick according to the economist.

What else is he being investigated for?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Starmer trying to work out all they ways of pointing out how this is a four thousandsththth of a Michelle Mone while not dancing a Scottish reel round the dispatch box...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't know. I just thought I'd take that from another thread to sound well informed.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I don't know. I just thought I'd take that from another thread to sound well informed.
    OK - in any event, this could be interesting :)