A bonailie, Nicola

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    They didn't put all the small print on the side of the bus did they? It's not as if they couldn't fit it on.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

I'd argue that there's quite a difference between empty slogans, and outright barefaced lies...

I agree.

The UK gross contribution to the EU budget in 2016 was around £19bn in 2016, which works out at pretty close to the £350m a week.

NHS spending in 2015/16 was £141bn compared to a budget of £180bn for 2022/23 - an increase of £39bn.
    https://kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/nhs-budget

What barefaced lie are you referring to?
    The UK Statistics Authority wrote to Vote Leave during the campaign stating the claim was, ‘misleading and undermines trust in official statistics’. The claim excluded the UK’s rebate, as well as payments received by the UK from the EU.

Tbh I had assumed it was a load of old balls put out there for electioneering, but when I looked at the stats today it didn't seem to be the case. Which of the numbers I posted/linked above do you disagree with and why?
    if you're claiming to be too stupid to understand, there's no point wasting time on you
    No, I'm asking you to provide evidence to counter what I posted/linked above. If you're too stupid or lazy then I guess you won't do that.
    "...the estimated value of the UK's rebate in 2015 is €5.6 billion (£4.4 billion) compared with €5.9 billion (£4.7 billion) in the 2014 EU Budget."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483344/EU_finances_2015_final_web_09122015.pdf

£19m - £4.4m = approx. £280m per week.

Fair point, although the bus message didn't specify net, otherwise it would have been a lie.

Although as you can see the extra amounts put into the NHS exceed the contribution, whether gross or net.

I notice sungod hasn't replied...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

I'd argue that there's quite a difference between empty slogans, and outright barefaced lies...

I agree.

The UK gross contribution to the EU budget in 2016 was around £19bn in 2016, which works out at pretty close to the £350m a week.

NHS spending in 2015/16 was £141bn compared to a budget of £180bn for 2022/23 - an increase of £39bn.

The UK Statistics Authority wrote to Vote Leave during the campaign stating the claim was, ‘misleading and undermines trust in official statistics’. The claim excluded the UK’s rebate, as well as payments received by the UK from the EU.

Tbh I had assumed it was a load of old balls put out there for electioneering, but when I looked at the stats today it didn't seem to be the case. Which of the numbers I posted/linked above do you disagree with and why?
    if you're claiming to be too stupid to understand, there's no point wasting time on you
    No, I'm asking you to provide evidence to counter what I posted/linked above. If you're too stupid or lazy then I guess you won't do that.
    "...the estimated value of the UK's rebate in 2015 is €5.6 billion (£4.4 billion) compared with €5.9 billion (£4.7 billion) in the 2014 EU Budget."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483344/EU_finances_2015_final_web_09122015.pdf

Fair point, although the bus message didn't specify net, otherwise it would have been a lie.

Although as you can see the extra amounts put into the NHS exceed the contribution, whether gross or net.

When Stevo pays for round pint with a £20 and his mate asks him how much they cost, he tells em £20.

When they end up paying £12 for their round and say Stevo was talking out of his @rse, Stevo declares he “wasn’t lying”
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

I agree.

As if someone that posts so much on the Brexit thread wouldn't know the full story behind the bus slogan.

Pull the other one.
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

I agree.

As if someone that posts so much on the Brexit thread wouldn't know the full story behind the bus slogan.

Pull the other one.
    Try arguing with numbers and stats rather lazy assumptions.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

I agree.

When Stevo pays for round pint with a £20 and his mate asks him how much they cost, he tells em £20.

When they end up paying £12 for their round and say Stevo was talking out of his @rse, Stevo declares he “wasn’t lying”
    Our gross contribution was around £350m a week, but clearly you don't put technical detail on bus slogans so technically it wasn't wrong. People were free to question it back in 2016 when it mattered.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess you struggling with change from tills explains a lot.

• Stevo_666

I guess you can't argue that it was technically wrong, so you've resorted being condescending again :)
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

I guess you can't argue that it was technically wrong, so you've resorted being condescending again :)
    It is wrong. If my accountant didn’t understand how much money we sent somewhere after a rebate I’d sack them.

Kids do that sort of maths in their first SATS
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

It is wrong. If my accountant didn’t understand how much money we sent somewhere after a rebate I’d sack them.

Kids do that sort of maths in their first SATS
    Read what I said above properly. If there are two levels of contribution - gross and net - and you simply refer to a contribution without specifying which one then its not wrong. If you can't grasp that simple point then you must be a bit thick :)
  • rick_chasey
    Why would anyone be interested in the gross contribution over net?

You are being thick and I would recommend not dying on a hill quite this stupid.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    My previous bus comment

For what it is worth, my order of bus irritation is as follows (i) Khan's bus changes (ii) All the places in the world that built out of town bus stations (iii) Boris Buses (iv) Rural buses not being subsidised by fuel tax (v) Livingston's bendy buses (vi) The Boris Bus.
  • Stevo_666

You are being thick and I would recommend not dying on a hill quite this stupid.

Look, I know that the 'Lie on the side of the bus' is one of the central pillars of faith of the Eurobollox cult so I can understand why you are getting so wound up about this being debunked, but it's doesn't justify all the inverse intellectual snobbery that we've seen from you today.
  • Stevo_666

Look, I know that the 'Lie on the side of the bus' is one of the central pillars of faith of the Eurobollox cult so I can understand why you are getting so wound up about this being debunked, but it's doesn't justify all the inverse intellectual snobbery that we've seen from you today.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Lol debunked. Don’t flatter yourself
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    edited February 2023
    I'm very upset by my virgin media bill of £100 per month, even though I have a discount of £50 from that.

£100 is an outrageous amount, why am I paying that much????
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    edited February 2023
    Which Brexit obsessed tvvat brought this up on this thread?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Lol, pretty much the only reason Stevo could possibly be pretending to defend the bus slogan is to wind people up, don't give him the satisfaction.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    For someone who doesn't care about Brexit, Stevo, you don't half wang on about it ad f***ing nauseam.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Try using some facts and stats rather than just chucking insults and assuming that your right.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

For someone who doesn't care about Brexit, Stevo, you don't half wang on about it ad f***ing nauseam.

I've learned about banging on ad nauseam from people like you RJS.

I thought it would be fun to point this out and look what happened. Given it all I'm the past, it seems to be an emotive point for a few people...
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2023
    pangolin said:

Lol, pretty much the only reason Stevo could possibly be pretending to defend the bus slogan is to wind people up, don't give him the satisfaction.

Too late ;) But as explained above, I do have a point...
  • Stevo_666

Which Brexit obsessed tvvat brought this up on this thread?

Now now, don't be like Rick.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    And without my help for a change. I almost feel left out, but I'll get over it.
  • Stevo_666

but I'll get over it.

A bit like Brexit then.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

I'm very upset by my virgin media bill of £100 per month, even though I have a discount of £50 from that.

If your Virgin bill is £70 discounted from an official £100, but they throw in a free phone "worth" £20 a month. Are you paying £50, £70 or £100 a month? If you actually pay £100, but get an IOU for next year worth £30, does that mean you have or haven't paid £100?
  • pinno

If your Virgin bill is £70 discounted from an official £100, but they throw in a free phone "worth" £20 a month. Are you paying £50, £70 or £100 a month? If you actually pay £100, but get an IOU for next year worth £30, does that mean you have or haven't paid £100?
    What about the 5% cash back and the gift voucher?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Try using some facts and stats rather than just chucking insults and assuming that your right.
    You can’t argue that £350m per week is a lie, but you can argue it was a duplicitous misrepresentation by a known liar. That’s a boring argument that’s been done to death.

Jeremy Hunt (as Health Sec) pledged an additional £20bn to NHS in 2018, separate to any Brexit ‘bonus’ from EU exit. A good thing. Given an agreed (I think) 1.2% pa budget increase for NHS funding, that makes the majority of the budget increase you quoted. There are clear indicators where the rest came from, documented by BMA,
    OBR, etc.

Can you provide stats/evidence to back up your implied argument, that NHS budgets have risen off the back of savings made from Brexit? I had a look but can’t find anything concrete. Of course, you might know more than anyone else…
  • pinno
    It's a good read:

https://www.conversion-uplift.co.uk/brexit/the-boris-johnson-brexit-bus-lie-of-350m/

"Almost immediately after the referendum many Leave politicians admitted there was no £350 million a week going to the NHS. Even if there had been a Brexit bonus Conservative MPs and ministers indicated it could not all be allocated to the NHS. Despite this, in September, 2017, Boris Johnson revived the £350 million claim in a 4,000-word essay in the Daily Telegraph.

This prompted a critical response from Sir David Norgrove, UK Statistics Chief, who said the then foreign secretary’s use of the £350 million figure was “a clear misuse of official statistics”. In his response to UK Statistics criticism of his use of the figure Johnson said his words had been interpreted in a crassly simplistic way and that it was a “wilful distortion”. In other words Johnson was admitting that the Brexit bus claim was untrue all along."