A bonailie, Nicola

Comments

• Not picking a fight but why would you not want all of those things for all other countries?

I do, as I am sure do most people. My point (perhaps badly worded) was that there is a small percentage of UK citizens (largely English IMO) who value sovereignty over the actual prosperity of the UK and dress this up as "patriotism".
  • For the same reason I don't want Brexit I don't want independence, but I do think in the context of the UK the Scots have an over-inflated sense of their own importance.

Do they? Can't say it is something I have ever experienced.

For a country that gave us the 'Enlightenment', Scotland's contribution to philosophical and intellectual developments across the world is pretty impressive.

The value of a nation is not determined solely by it's economic output or it's current GDP.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

For the same reason I don't want Brexit I don't want independence, but I do think in the context of the UK the Scots have an over-inflated sense of their own importance.

Do they? Can't say it is something I have ever experienced.

For a country that gave us the 'Enlightenment', Scotland's contribution to philosophical and intellectual developments across the world is pretty impressive.

The value of a nation is not determined solely by it's economic output or it's current GDP.
    What the Scots don't appreciate is that the impact was only transmitted so widely because it was part of the British empire at the time. Otherwise, who would have cared?

I agree with whoever said the Scots have an over inflated opinion of their nation's importance. It leads to the same sort of rhetoric that assures its population that our main trading partner will be happy to do a favourable deal with us if we leave their trading block.

#ironyalert
  • Fair point with regards 'Enlightenment', although it was still a uniquely Scottish proposition, which suggests a country that had the intellectual and moral conditions in place to foster it. I think that holds great value and says a lot about the country (albeit a fair while back!).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,496

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why would anyone be interested in the gross contribution over net?

You are being thick and I would recommend not dying on a hill quite this stupid.

Look, I know that the 'Lie on the side of the bus' is one of the central pillars of faith of the Eurobollox cult so I can understand why you are getting so wound up about this being debunked, but it's doesn't justify all the inverse intellectual snobbery that we've seen from you today.
    Lol debunked. Don’t flatter yourself
    Try using some facts and stats rather than just chucking insults and assuming that your right.
    You can’t argue that £350m per week is a lie, but you can argue it was a duplicitous misrepresentation by a known liar. That’s a boring argument that’s been done to death.

Jeremy Hunt (as Health Sec) pledged an additional £20bn to NHS in 2018, separate to any Brexit ‘bonus’ from EU exit. A good thing. Given an agreed (I think) 1.2% pa budget increase for NHS funding, that makes the majority of the budget increase you quoted. There are clear indicators where the rest came from, documented by BMA,
    OBR, etc.

Can you provide stats/evidence to back up your implied argument, that NHS budgets have risen off the back of savings made from Brexit? I had a look but can’t find anything concrete. Of course, you might know more than anyone else…
    It was in line with our gross contributions. Anyone was free to question that at the time, but chose not to. Hey ho.

Regardless of whether it was gross or net, the increase in the NHS budget since then is larger than either the gross or the net amount, so the point about finding the NHS by at least than amount has been met. Can you disprove the rationale? I don't think so.

Maybe we can call it the 'Not unreasonable statement on the side of the bus' from now on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,246
    edited February 2023
    It was not in line with our gross contributions. It was vaguely in line with the pre-rebate calculation of our gross contribution, which makes it meaningless as it did not refer to the amount we send to the EU in any way.

This was not a gross/net confusion, it was just a big fat lie. HTH and surprised there is anyone so active on the Brexit thread who feels they can state they were not aware of this.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770

It was not in line with our gross contributions. It was vaguely in line with the pre-rebate calculation of our gross contribution, which makes it meaningless as it did not refer to the amount we send to the EU in any way.

This was not a gross/net confusion, it was just a big fat lie. HTH and surprised there is anyone so active on the Brexit thread who feels they can state they were not aware of this.

This.
    Not only was it a flat out lie but it was called out at the time too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619

The rebate technically happened the year after the payment, so should be discounted based on the credit quality of the EU.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why would anyone be interested in the gross contribution over net?

You are being thick and I would recommend not dying on a hill quite this stupid.

Look, I know that the 'Lie on the side of the bus' is one of the central pillars of faith of the Eurobollox cult so I can understand why you are getting so wound up about this being debunked, but it's doesn't justify all the inverse intellectual snobbery that we've seen from you today.
    Lol debunked. Don’t flatter yourself
    Try using some facts and stats rather than just chucking insults and assuming that your right.
    You can’t argue that £350m per week is a lie, but you can argue it was a duplicitous misrepresentation by a known liar. That’s a boring argument that’s been done to death.

Jeremy Hunt (as Health Sec) pledged an additional £20bn to NHS in 2018, separate to any Brexit ‘bonus’ from EU exit. A good thing. Given an agreed (I think) 1.2% pa budget increase for NHS funding, that makes the majority of the budget increase you quoted. There are clear indicators where the rest came from, documented by BMA,
    OBR, etc.

Can you provide stats/evidence to back up your implied argument, that NHS budgets have risen off the back of savings made from Brexit? I had a look but can’t find anything concrete. Of course, you might know more than anyone else…
    It was in line with our gross contributions. Anyone was free to question that at the time, but chose not to. Hey ho.

Regardless of whether it was gross or net, the increase in the NHS budget since then is larger than either the gross or the net amount, so the point about finding the NHS by at least than amount has been met. Can you disprove the rationale? I don't think so.

Maybe we can call it the 'Not unreasonable statement on the side of the bus' from now on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqtb6XBBBRc
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • It was not in line with our gross contributions. It was vaguely in line with the pre-rebate calculation of our gross contribution, which makes it meaningless as it did not refer to the amount we send to the EU in any way.

The rebate technically happened the year after the payment, so should be discounted based on the credit quality of the EU.
    not after the first year.

Somebody also needs to work out the other payments that we received from them.

or we could acknowledge that it was a genius move
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The suggestion this “should have been debated at the time” surely proves this is just trolling.

For somebody who complains the thread has nothing new to say, it’s a remarkable tactic.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,903
    morstar said:

The suggestion this “should have been debated at the time” surely proves this is just trolling.

For somebody who complains the thread has nothing new to say, it’s a remarkable tactic.

It's also in the wrong thread.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,662
    I guess if you are not getting traction in the original thread and desperately need the replies 🤷🏻‍♂️
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,903
    It's the danger when some Tories think that governing consists mainly of winding up the libs rather than coming up with sensible policies and enacting them vaguely competently.
  • Stevo_666

Not a case of confusion, I just wasn't stated on the side the bus - it would have looked a bit odd if they had. As I said above, saying that our contribution is £350m per week is technically correct provided that net was not mentioned - which it wasn't.

Also as mentioned above, the increase in NHS budget exceeds either the gross or the net amounts, so in term of delivering the NHS funding promise it was absolutely spot on.

Hence the reasonable statement in the side of the bus :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

It's the danger when some Tories think that governing consists mainly of winding up the libs rather than coming up with sensible policies and enacting them vaguely competently.

Well I'm not governing so not sure what your point is.

This does however seem to be a remarkably sensitive subject for some centre lefties given its all in the past now.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666 said:

Not a case of confusion, I just wasn't stated on the side the bus - it would have looked a bit odd if they had. As I said above, saying that our contribution is £350m per week is technically correct provided that net was not mentioned - which it wasn't.

Also as mentioned above, the increase in NHS budget exceeds either the gross or the net amounts, so in term of delivering the NHS funding promise it was absolutely spot on.

Stopped reading again?

• Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Been taking selfies? ;)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

Maybe you have. See the stats I posted upthread.

However what are your thoughts on the increase in the NHS budget exceeding both the net and gross amounts?
  • kingstongraham
    edited February 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

However what are your thoughts on the increase in the NHS budget exceeding both the net and gross amounts?
    My thoughts are that the half of the writing on the bus that was not a lie was childishly simplistic.

But as that was not the context in which you brought the bus up in this thread, it is entirely irrelevant. Bring it back in the Brexit thread if you like.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Good to see Stevo's last two replies are variations on the playground "no you!", hopefully this round of trolling is reaching it's natural end.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Good to see Stevo's last two replies are variations on the playground "no you!", hopefully this round of trolling is reaching it's natural end.

If you get back under your bridge for a bit I'm sure it'll all settle down.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Glad the parallels between the two are being made.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

My thoughts are that the half of the writing on the bus that was not a lie was childishly simplistic.

But as that was not the context in which you brought the bus up in this thread, it is entirely irrelevant. Bring it back in the Brexit thread if you like.
    The NHS budget increase is very relevant as it is what flows from the savings obtained from not contributing to the EU. It even said it on the side of the bus. I can see why you're reluctant to address the point however.
  • kingstongraham
    edited February 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

The NHS budget increase is very relevant as it is what flows from the savings obtained from not contributing to the EU. It even said it on the side of the bus. I can see why you're reluctant to address the point however.
    Take it to the relevant thread if you want to discuss Brexit for ever. You objected to the lie being called a lie and that's still a lie.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,662
    edited February 2023
    Stevo, you are misunderstanding both figures. We have continued to contribute since we voted to leave. It wasn't an instant saving of £X. I believe it's another £30-35bn we have yet to pay. The increases in NHS funding are just part of the ongoing pattern to keep up with demand and inflation that long precedes Brexit.

So if we haven't actually received those savings yet and the spending has gone up anyway, the two things are unconnected.

As they always were.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

So you are saying that's it was okay to print bollox on the side of a bus because the NHS is getting more money than what was pledged by leaving the EU.

...even though the lie was probably critical to the Brexit vote and we are no longer in the EU.

So by that logic - the logic which is that the wonderful Tories have given the NHS more than what was printed on the side of a bus, have you calculated:
    1. The difference in the growth in the economy between being in the EU or out with the EU
    2. The economic cost of leaving the EU
    3. What budget the government could have given the NHS as an EU state
    4. The difference ^
    5. What the government could offer workers who are striking (obviously because any offers are based on economic forecast) if we were still in the EU
    6. The value of CAP payments
    7. The loss to key services of essential migrant workers
    8. The full value of rebates
    9. The value of EU Urban and Rural development/environmental funding to our economy and to communities?

No, I expect you haven't (and I haven't either) but using the binary: 'is the NHS getting more than the £350m per week promised by leaving the EU?' is utter bollox because that is separate to the lie and quite possibly, the govt. could have given the NHS more had our economic forecast been better as an EU member state.

I tell my daughters that I am taking them to Alton Towers.
    They look forward to it for months.
    We can't afford to go to Alton Towers so we don't go.
    But it's okay, I took them to the local park and I bought them a lollipop. I dunno why they are unhappy, there's rides at the park and you can't get that sort of lollipop at Alton Towers.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

So you are saying that's it was okay to print bollox on the side of a bus because the NHS is getting more money than what was pledged by leaving the EU.

...even though the lie was probably critical to the Brexit vote and we are no longer in the EU.

So by that logic - the logic which is that the wonderful Tories have given the NHS more than what was printed on the side of a bus, have you calculated:
    1. The difference in the growth in the economy between being in the EU or out with the EU
    2. The economic cost of leaving the EU
    3. What budget the government could have given the NHS as an EU state
    4. The difference ^
    5. What the government could offer workers who are striking (obviously because any offers are based on economic forecast) if we were still in the EU
    6. The value of CAP payments
    7. The loss to key services of essential migrant workers
    8. The full value of rebates
    9. The value of EU Urban and Rural development/environmental funding to our economy and to communities?

No, I expect you haven't (and I haven't either) but using the binary: 'is the NHS getting more than the £350m per week promised by leaving the EU?' is utter bollox because that is separate to the lie and quite possibly, the govt. could have given the NHS more had our economic forecast been better as an EU member state.

I tell my daughters that I am taking them to Alton Towers.
    They look forward to it for months.
    We can't afford to go to Alton Towers so we don't go.
    But it's okay, I took them to the local park and I bought them a lollipop. I dunno why they are unhappy, there's rides at the park and you can't get that sort of lollipop at Alton Towers.

would you mind asking your daughters why they believed you as for as long as they can remember you have over promised and under delivered and yet they keep giving you the nod to be in charge of organising family days out.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stopped reading again?

Take it to the relevant thread if you want to discuss Brexit for ever. You objected to the lie being called a lie and that's still a lie.
    I've explained why it isn't. Sorry if that doesn't fit with your narrative, but there you go.