A bonailie, Nicola

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    edited April 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I wonder where he could have got to, this is such a relevant topic for him.

I guess independence supporters are 'sweating' a bit now? :)

I know. Look at all the $h1t I get in the thread devoted to "greatness", it ain't bloody fair.

Come on Loon, take a good dose of grief!
    I guess a thread devoted to bitterness and failure isn't that popular, even in Cake Stop.
    I'm loving it.

Particularly the way the SNP are addressing housing shortages across Scotland by purchasing motor homes.
    Likewise, it's always good to see a shower of shyte being exposed for what they are.

Thanks to @ddraver for starting this thread :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    What I don't understand is how the SNP can still owe Murrel £50k when he's got their £100k motor home.

Must be a Barnett calculation thing.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pay me 50K or the motor home gets it!
  • Stevo_666
    Surely there must be an SNP slush fund to pay him off?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Even if she had 'succeeded' in her lifetime aim, here what would have happened:

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    One day you'll realise the logic for Scotland staying in the UK is the same as the UK staying in the EU.
  • First.Aspect
    My favourite term in the media at the moment is, "simplistic Scottish exceptionalism".

It's a polite way of saying that the SNP-supporting numpties up here think Scottish people are better. I've said for a very long time on here that this is basically no different from any other nationalist movement.

This isn't directly linked to their inability to understand how money works, but it certainly relates to the end justifying the means (i.e. keep things quiet, don't damage the cause) and the fundamental falsehoods thet peddle. e.g. leaving the UK without creating trade borders because rUK will jump at the opportunity to favourably trade with a tiny country slightly less well off than it is, the idiocy of creating an instantly plummeting Scottish lira, joining the EU without the joining the Euro and abandoning the lira because the EU will jump at the chance of having a tiny new member with a slight below EU average economy.

Does anyone believe me now?
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2023

One day you'll realise the logic for Scotland staying in the UK is the same as the UK staying in the EU.

Paging @Orraloon to the thread...don't be a stranger, SNP fan boy :)
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Paging @Orraloon to the thread...
    Like all vocal indy supporters, he's in England avoiding Scottish higher and top rate income tax.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Like all vocal indy supporters, he's in England avoiding Scottish higher and top rate income tax.
    Oddly enough, he's moved back North of the border, but I think the higher tax rate thing might be a bit theoretical for him now he's retired and is after a bit of WJK's English funded generosity to the less well off.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oddly enough, he's moved back North of the border, but I think the higher tax rate thing might be a bit theoretical for him now he's retired and is after a bit of WJK's English funded generosity to the less well off.
    In that case he's stranded in rural Ayrshire with a cracked alloy and broken suspension, because he's mistakenly used one of our roads. Wasn't too cold this week so he's probably okay.
  • Stevo_666

Except that we've already left so the point is irrelevant.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

On a side note, I'm going the other way for precisely this reason.

I am guessing that the 2% gap is going to be a 3% gap before the end of this Scottish parliamentary term and because we are going to up-size while we can, this is going to tip the balance. It's already about a 3% difference in take home, which funnily enough even "rich folk" notice, and would jump to about 5% if they up the tax again.

What the SNP don't understand is that it doesn't bring any more money in to label higher middle earners "rich" and bleed them try so that "poor" two car households who unfortunately have to rent can get their children taken to school in a state funded taxi (I have a neighbour like this). All that happens is the rich folk stay away or leave.

I could see myself coming back when I'm retired or working part time, having hitched myself to the English property market for 15-20 years, and benefit from how badly suppressed the Scottish property market has been in the interim because of poor governance here hampering the economy and wages.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I am guessing that the 2% gap is going to be a 3% gap before the end of this Scottish parliamentary term and because we are going to up-size while we can, this is going to tip the balance. It's already about a 3% difference in take home, which funnily enough even "rich folk" notice, and would jump to about 5% if they up the tax again.

What the SNP don't understand is that it doesn't bring any more money in to label higher middle earners "rich" and bleed them try so that "poor" two car households who unfortunately have to rent can get their children taken to school in a state funded taxi (I have a neighbour like this). All that happens is the rich folk stay away or leave.

I could see myself coming back when I'm retired or working part time, having hitched myself to the English property market for 15-20 years, and benefit from how badly suppressed the Scottish property market has been in the interim because of poor governance here hampering the economy and wages.
    Fair enough, seems like a logical decision. I get impression that the SNP would struggle to run a bath, let alone a country.

And a point to consider for those who think that tax doesn't influence decisions to move.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Fair enough, seems like a logical decision. I get impression that the SNP would struggle to run a bath, let alone a country.

And a point to consider for those who think that tax doesn't influence decisions to move.
    IF you think they are bad, try the Greens. It has taken 2 years to persuade them that it is a bad idea to add 200% to a bottle of water, unless you drive to the nearest supermarket to put it into a machine that the supermaket won't have yet, or will be broken, or queue up to get your deposit back.

The gender recognition bill is another Green party "red line".

Think they were also responsible for the offshore wind raffle, where they sold rights for about 10% of the price Biden got, and about 25% the price that Boris got.

They are intellectual pigmys who are doing more to harm the environment by being idiots than Bolsanaro.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    The bottles thing is not a bad idea though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,528

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

IF you think they are bad, try the Greens. It has taken 2 years to persuade them that it is a bad idea to add 200% to a bottle of water, unless you drive to the nearest supermarket to put it into a machine that the supermaket won't have yet, or will be broken, or queue up to get your deposit back.

The gender recognition bill is another Green party "red line".

Think they were also responsible for the offshore wind raffle, where they sold rights for about 10% of the price Biden got, and about 25% the price that Boris got.

They are intellectual pigmys who are doing more to harm the environment by being idiots than Bolsanaro.
    They were rated as the second most green party at the last general election. Quite an achievement.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

It's very different because the SNP are being exposed as incompetent and corrupt, whereas in the UK's case the conservatives have... wait never mind.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Well, it would be if we had ready access to running water in our homes and recepticles that it could be stored in to take with you. Oh....

I really don't understand people buying bottled water in the UK other than in a very few circumstances.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    pangolin said:

It's very different because the SNP are being exposed as incompetent and corrupt, whereas in the UK's case the conservatives have... wait never mind.
    😬
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    pangolin said:

Hang on, the point is akin to many others Oraloon couldn't wait to have a crack at the government. I doubt that would be party specific either (lib, Labour, greens...).

Glass houses.
  • First.Aspect
    edited April 2023

It is a good idea in the pre-home delivery and home recycling age, but is now out of date. The only thing thst would make it work is some way to recover the deposit from home recycling.

I've seen something similar in Canada, with a nominal 5c fee on cans and bottles. It becomes a mini income for some, which I have no issue with, but actually creates litter with people rummaging through bins, or to prevent that, leaving cans and bottles next to them instead.

Making the deposit noticeable higher (for a 6 pack of diet coke it would add £1.20, or fully 50% of the price) is profoundly misguided, because two things will happen. Firstly, somewhat fewer will be sold and secondly, more people will now have to travel further to retrieve what is a not insignificant refund.

Since most people travel around by car, this is environmentally counter productive - compared to the mixed recycling blue bin we have now.

The latest announcement looks like it will apply the scheme only to higher value goods. Of which there are far fewer sold, so its gojng to have minimal environmental benefit. The catch 22 is that where the amount is proportionally less significant, people won't bother to schlep to the supermarket to get the deposit back either. So all it does is add to manufacturing and sales costs, which will be hidden in the non-refundable price.

So it is stupid from all angles if you ask me. But it does mean more income tax, because the quango they've created for "Circularity Scotland" is offering very generous salaries. Which for the wokies oht there is Jobs for the Theys.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I don't pay all that much attention - what is the allegation? All I know is that it might have something to do with a campervan.
  • Stevo_666

pangolin said:

Hang on, the point is akin to many others Oraloon couldn't wait to have a crack at the government. I doubt that would be party specific either (lib, Labour, greens...).

Glass houses.
    But, but, nasty Torwies :) This SNP thing definitely warrants its own thread.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Glass houses.
    Makes sense that you've sided with Stevo then, famous proponent of impartiality that he is.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    edited April 2023

I don't pay all that much attention - what is the allegation? All I know is that it might have something to do with a campervan.

As far as I can tell its how a charity (the party) has used donations.

i.e. they got about £650k for Indyref2 by crowdfunding, but they've spent it on general party costs, including a campaign bus.

I suspect they will try to squirrel out of it by claiming that everything they do is aimed towards independence - which critics have been pointing out for years, and that the SNP refute. But the counter argument is why a specific crowd funder then? And why did they lie repeatedly about it to the extend that both their accountants and senior MSPs don't want to go anywhere near those accounts?

There is a good chance they will not be able to complete their accounts by the deadline - because they are struggling to find an auditor willing to risk their reputatio - and get fined. There's also a good chance the party as an entity will be formally insolvent if they have to refund those donations.

No one is going to prison over this, but there might be a few people prevented from company directorship, and a few fines issued, that sort of thing.

For a few years SNP politicians will be faced with the option of appearing corrupt, incompetent, wilfully ignorant or profoundly naive. Take your pick.

Anyway, the more reputations damage.the better. Because the alternative for indy voters is wandering hands Salmond's Alba party, i.e. Scotlands own UKIP.
  • Stevo_666

For a few years SNP politicians will be faced with the option of appearing corrupt, incompetent, wilfully ignorant or profoundly naive. Take your pick.

What do you mean, 'appearing'? :smile:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Glass houses.
    Makes sense that you've sided with Stevo then, famous proponent of impartiality that he is.

I suppose she's held the job for a while.

I give her credit for fighting for her Country. Not that I want to see Scotland go independent.

You were saying?
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Glass houses.

I suppose she's held the job for a while.

I give her credit for fighting for her Country. Not that I want to see Scotland go independent.

You were saying?
    Not sure that disagrees with my point but sure
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Breaking news: Wee Jimmy Krankie has been arrested and is being question by detectives. It's getting interesting again :)
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65871857