S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,859
    Not having watched much recently, and managed to avoid the results, is it worth watching either the Saudi tour or Valenciana?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Not having watched much recently, and managed to avoid the results, is it worth watching either the Saudi tour or Valenciana?

Last 3km of valenciana.
  • daniel_b said:

Last 3km of valenciana.
    And last 10km of Saudi, I'd say.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks KG :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ineos making a bit of a hash of it at Valencia.

And then Geoghegan Hart got relegated for an irregular sprint :D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432

Ineos making a bit of a hash of it at Valencia.

Which was definitely one of those decisions that favours a home rider over the foreigner.
  • andyp said:

Which was definitely one of those decisions that favours a home rider over the foreigner.
    Really?
    I thought at the time that he might get relegated.
    Squeezing a guy onto the barriers when he is finishing the faster is regularly frowned upon by the UCI.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp said:

Really?
    I thought at the time that he might get relegated.
    Squeezing a guy onto the barriers when he is finishing the faster is regularly frowned upon by the UCI.
    Yes, he drifted fully the width of the road inside the last 75 metres, and stuck his elbow out to impede Bilbao.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the recommendations @kingstongraham , watched the 25 minute GCN highlights of Valencia stages 1 & 2. Decent racing I thought, and nice scenery.

The Gloag chap that Ineos missed out on looks somewhat promising.
    He's not a CXer as well is he?

Not looked at the Saudi tour yet, but will try and do so at some point.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776

Really ....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

I thought he was impeded on first watch ...I'll have to rewatch
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Not seeing anything there tbh...seems a off call
  • mididoctors
    It is what it is I guess
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    edited February 2023
    Watching the Saudi tour, is Cees Bol really supposed to be Cavendish's lead out man later in the year?
  • Watching the Saudi tour, is Cees Bol really supposed to be Cavendish's lead out man later in the year?

IIRC did he not have a pretty decent lead out train at DSM? They always seemed to be there in numbers at the pointy end leading him out to finish 7th or something. Maybe Astana should have sacked off Bol and signed his lead out train?

• Watching the Saudi tour, is Cees Bol really supposed to be Cavendish's lead out man later in the year?

IIRC did he not have a pretty decent lead out train at DSM? They always seemed to be there in numbers at the pointy end leading him out to finish 7th or something. Maybe Astana should have sacked off Bol and signed his lead out train?

I guess they could just tell him to do his normal sprint for the win, and when he fades that would drop Cavendish off nicely at about the right place.
  • daniel_b
    Is nowhere showing the CX world champs relay race.....? Had assumed GCN would have it (They seem to have all other races) but no sign of it.

Anyone know where to watch it - as I have avoided the result so far, and I think it's the kind of race my 9 year old would enjoy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited February 2023
    daniel_b said:

Is nowhere showing the CX world champs relay race.....? Had assumed GCN would have it (They seem to have all other races) but no sign of it.

Anyone know where to watch it - as I have avoided the result so far, and I think it's the kind of race my 9 year old would enjoy.

The Beeb said they were doing it, but no sign of it at all.
  • Good break/peloton battle in the finish of Valenciana today.
  • daniel_b
    edited February 2023
    JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

What a crock :/

Searched iplayer for 'World Championship' - no cyclo cross, but this came up, and it's not technically a joke:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    daniel_b said:

JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

What a crock :/

Searched iplayer for 'World Championship' - no cyclo cross, but this came up, and it's not technically a joke:

A bit miffed that it wasn't on. Although having re-read https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/64498232 I think I've miss understood what they were saying. Apologies
  • daniel_b
    No worries at all, I read the same page after you posted, and came to the same conclusion as you, as it had the timings down the bottom, but agreed up the top it just mentioned the Elite races.

Shame, as the relay is probably a good crowd pleaser :/

If anyone happens to stumble on a way to watch todays race anywhere, please post it on here, and I will do likewise.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,371
    JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

Only the two senior races will be on BBC iPlayer. For the junior and u23 races you'll need GCN or similar. No-one seems to be showing the relay
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    I don't think there was any tv coverage of the relay race, not even in the Netherlands.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

Are there still races going on in Australia? An old clubmate of mine who lives there just posted a ride with photos of him alongside Froome and Plapp so wasn’t sure if there are more races or they’re just training in the sun.

Froome is riding Melbourne-Warrnambool tomorrow/overnight. It's a 125 year old 267km non-UCI race. It claims to be the second oldest one day race in the world after LBL.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Looks like a lucky escape for Velentin Ferron.

Some wag on social media noted it was the first time Total Energies have tried to stop something spilling into the environment
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    daniel_b said:

No worries at all, I read the same page after you posted, and came to the same conclusion as you, as it had the timings down the bottom, but agreed up the top it just mentioned the Elite races.

Shame, as the relay is probably a good crowd pleaser :/

If anyone happens to stumble on a way to watch todays race anywhere, please post it on here, and I will do likewise.

Results from cyclocross magazine
    Netherlands
    GB
    Belgium
  • mididoctors
    Ineos not making a hash of it
  • r0bh said:

JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

Only the two senior races will be on BBC iPlayer. For the junior and u23 races you'll need GCN or similar. No-one seems to be showing the relay
    I'm out at Chester Zoo today so I've set Eurosport to record. Do you know if BBC will show a replay of the live race? I'll avoid the adverts that way
  • JimD666
    edited February 2023

r0bh said:

JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

I'm out at Chester Zoo today so I've set Eurosport to record. Do you know if BBC will show a replay of the live race? I'll avoid the adverts that way
    It's on iPlayer, so give it a couple of hours after the race finishes and it will be available on catch-up for the next 30 days