S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    They looked very cold at the finish line ...hardly able to remove wet gloves
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Evenepoel has just started his season.
    10 kms from home
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The guy who left Astana under a cloud and reckons he hasn’t trained, rides away from everyone.
    Perhaps fitting that Lopez wins the stage most commonly associated with long, UCI enforced holidays.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,803
    Fantastic to see Bernal back at the business end.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,556
    Kobe Goossens takes his second win in two days in miserable wet weather in Mallorca. Three wins in four days now for Intermarché - Circus - Wanty.
  • mrb123 said:

Fantastic to see Bernal back at the business end.

Not such good news today as he has pulled out citing stomach issues.
    Unfortunately this doesn’t tie in with the Ineos official line which is knee pain from a crash on the first stage…….
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Watching the mens World Cup cross race. No commentary on the telly, it’s there on my iPad but it’s completely out of sync. They are describing the French champion leading the chasing group yet Sweck just put in a massive attack to try and get back to MVP.
  • mididoctors
    The Argentinian race needs work... First time I have watched it. TDU and the Mallorca week were good watches
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dylan Groenewegen narrowly missed out on making it two wins in two days, as he is beaten by Jonathan Milan.
    Remarkable, as for much of the last 30kms, the whole of Bahrain were stranded in the second echelon.
  • That was a really really strong sprint from Milan - Groenewegen had the perfect leadout
  • Next up (tomorrow) are the opening pair of European stage races: L'Etoile de Bessèges and Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana.
    The latter has coverage on GCN/Eurosport, but not sure about the former, which was covered last year, but as yet isn't showing up in schedules.
    Comunitat Valenciana has a decent field:
    Top competitors

VLASOV Aleksandr
    BILBAO Pello
    KRISTOFF Alexander
    GIRMAY Biniam
    ARENSMAN Thymen
    RODRÍGUEZ Carlos
    KOOIJ Olav
    MOHORIČ Matej
    LANDA Mikel
    ULISSI Diego

Plus some testing parcour.

Etoile de Bessèges

Top competitors

PEDERSEN Mads
    DE LIE Arnaud
    COSNEFROY Benoît
    POWLESS Neilson
    TEUNS Dylan
    SKJELMOSE Mattias
    PINOT Thibaut
    THOMAS Benjamin
    MOZZATO Luca

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,517
    It seems GCN/Eurosport don't have the UK rights for L'Etoile de Bessages, but it's not known who does (at least as far as I can see).
  • andyp said:

It seems GCN/Eurosport don't have the UK rights for L'Etoile de Bessages, but it's not known who does (at least as far as I can see).

L’Equipe for certain have the rights.
    I can always find a workable feed or two for them.
    Tiz will have uploads available later in the day.
    Cycling today is always a good source of live feeds.
    I believe it’s also being covered by RTBF. (Belgian French language)
  • Wonder if Uno-x's invite was contingent on them bringing Kristoff?
    He'll struggle to do bottle duty on much of that parcours.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Strangely, Tiz has a live Etoile feed from GCN/Eurosport.

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/live.php

Echelons.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Apparently GCN/ Eurosport are showing it most places just not in the UK.
  • Move over Mads.
    De Lie blows him away on the finish he dominated, last year.
  • Girmay looking strong. Long sprint and demolishes the field really.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644

Girmay looking strong. Long sprint and demolishes the field really.

Bodes well for the spring classics.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Gap opened for Girmay, took it and blew them away. Strong.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633

Move over Mads.
    De Lie blows him away on the finish he dominated, last year.

De Lie was incredible there, serious power. Think Mads went a little too early, though tbh I'm not sure why it wasn't a pure puncheur finish.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    Are there still races going on in Australia? An old clubmate of mine who lives there just posted a ride with photos of him alongside Froome and Plapp so wasn’t sure if there are more races or they’re just training in the sun.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    Pross said:

Are there still races going on in Australia? An old clubmate of mine who lives there just posted a ride with photos of him alongside Froome and Plapp so wasn’t sure if there are more races or they’re just training in the sun.

Given Froome's current status I'll guess the latter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Currently chaos in Besseges after the race is neutralised after a crash on a bridge blocked the road.
    Trouble is they were already racing in echelons and now everybody behind has been given a free pass.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633

Currently chaos in Besseges after the race is neutralised after a crash on a bridge blocked the road.
    Trouble is they were already racing in echelons and now everybody behind has been given a free pass.

It's looking like the stage is neutralised and they're rolling home - no ambulances left
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Currently chaos in Besseges after the race is neutralised after a crash on a bridge blocked the road.

It's looking like the stage is neutralised and they're rolling home - no ambulances left
    I hadn't realised that the NHS were involved in the race.....

• Looks like a lucky escape for Velentin Ferron.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors
    Ineos making a bit of a hash of it at Valencia.

• Looks like a lucky escape for Velentin Ferron.

Looks more dangerous than it was. He had a bit of a hand to take a step sideways then was able to walk up the banking.
  • Ineos making a bit of a hash of it at Valencia.

Yes, there's no point in "doing an Ineos" if you aren't then going to launch off the front yourselves.

Castroviejo looked strong, burning plenty off, but there was nobody to take it up after he was done.