S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Robert Gesink out with a fractured pelvis.

James Knox DQ after drafting behind team car to return after having to have concussion checks. Insane.

A head knock obviously means that you are out of the race then. Any race.
    He wasn't the only one who went down, but was the one who needed to hang around for the medic.

Bax looked to have hit the deck just as hard.
    Okay, maybe I should have written it better. "If you need a concussion check then...."
    That's how other sports are dealing with it. Should be applied across the board.
    Other sports haven't moved a few km up the road by the time the concussion checks have been completed
    Irrelevant as they are usually out of the game. Not sure how substitutes would work in cycling though. Concussion is either taken seriously, or ignored. Repercussions either way.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    edited January 2023

Triumph of form and function in a win for Bauhaus in stage one.

Crash in the final, but didn't really affect the sprint, Bauhaus hanging on from Ewan who finished ike a rocket from a long way back. Moikle Methews third.

Matthews was checking over his shoulder for way too long. Was placed in the perfect position and was much too pensive. Should have launched immediately after his lead out was done. Bauhaus was already at speed while he still needed to blast off.
    Ewan is by far the fastest, but was too far back due to not having a lead out and having to surf wheels.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,371
    pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

James Knox DQ after drafting behind team car to return after having to have concussion checks. Insane.

He wasn't the only one who went down, but was the one who needed to hang around for the medic.

Okay, maybe I should have written it better. "If you need a concussion check then...."
    That's how other sports are dealing with it. Should be applied across the board.
    Other sports haven't moved a few km up the road by the time the concussion checks have been completed
    Irrelevant as they are usually out of the game. Not sure how substitutes would work in cycling though. Concussion is either taken seriously, or ignored. Repercussions either way.
    It's a concussion check, which a ride may pass or fail. At the moment, even if they pass they are likely out of the race. All this does is disincentivize doing the check at all.
  • pblakeney
    r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It's a concussion check, which a ride may pass or fail. At the moment, even if they pass they are likely out of the race. All this does is disincentivize doing the check at all.
    Better safe than sorry. Only my opinion and counts for nowt but a half way house serves no purpose and not doing tests is worse.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Good stage today.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Better safe than sorry. Only my opinion and counts for nowt but a half way house serves no purpose and not doing tests is worse.
    If they pass the concussion check on the road, they should then do a second after the stage finishes, and maybe if passed a final one the next morning before the stage start. That's a much fairer system.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

If they pass the concussion check on the road, they should then do a second after the stage finishes, and maybe if passed a final one the next morning before the stage start. That's a much fairer system.
    I fully agree.
    The only problem is now their times. What if it is the Yellow Jersey?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I fully agree.
    Well you don't dq them for drafting to get back in for a start!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I fully agree.
    No, but what is the safe protocol that will not have any potential cheating?
    I'm asking because I don't have the answer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    edited January 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I fully agree.
    No, but what is the safe protocol that will not have any potential cheating?
    I'm asking because I don't have the answer.

I don't see what advantage is to be gained by cheating this system. If a rider has crashed and suffered a blow to the head, then a concussion check should be mandated. It then seems only fair to allow that rider to return to the peloton, so they should be allowed to draft the medical car back. Surely there is no advantage gained here?

The UCI and race organisers have to take concussion seriously, so riders should absolutely not be penalised for doing the right thing.
  • And only if behind the peloton/grupetto (that they were in or in front of when they crashed).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    Yes, that makes sense.
  • If you pass a concussion test, simply make the rider complete the stage and use the existing (3Km?) crash rule?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney

If you pass a concussion test, simply make the rider complete the stage and use the existing (3Km?) crash rule?

Timed to the group that they were in at the crash?
    Sounds fair.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

If you pass a concussion test, simply make the rider complete the stage and use the existing (3Km?) crash rule?

Sounds fair.
    Bit more tricky when you crash 55km from the finish.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Sounds fair.
    I guess if there was an easy solution then it would be in place already.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sounds fair.
    There is an easy solution - just let them draft cars back to the group and don't be dicks about it. Only down side is riders who have fallen demanding a concussion check so they can get an easy ride, but that doesn't sound too bad.
  • The TDU course is really well designed this year - possibilities for all sorts to win.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sounds fair.
    There is an easy solution - just let them draft cars back to the group and don't be dicks about it. Only down side is riders who have fallen demanding a concussion check so they can get an easy ride, but that doesn't sound too bad.
    Yeah, I don't think that would be a bad thing. Although you could apply the Catch-22 rules on insanity - if you are coherent enough to ask for a concussion check you aren't concussed.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    Dropped chains aplenty ....race defining ones too .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

The TDU course is really well designed this year - possibilities for all sorts to win.

Been very decent racing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Can't believe this is Coquard's first world tour victory: has he just been chasing s*** small races all his career?
    I guess his high profile comes from being a big fish in a small French pool (if a 59kg sprinter can ever be a big fish).
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Can't believe this is Coquard's first world tour victory: has he just been chasing s*** small races all his career?
    I guess his high profile comes from being a big fish in a small French pool (if a 59kg sprinter can ever be a big fish).

Didn't realise he had that in him, I think he surprised everyone by going a fraction early and holding on.

Also a perfect lead out.
  • mididoctors
    Cofidis won't be the last team to get a WT win this year I guess
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Just catch-up watched, interesting stage with the winds.
  • The Vuelta San Juan is now live on GCN/Eurosport.
    Whole stage coverage each day and they have just started stage one.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Final stage of TDU is a good one to watch the last hour or so of, lots going on.
  • mididoctors
    Shonky coverage... I liked the vistas
  • Fair play if you got any excitement from watching that sprint. I almost felt sorry for Carlton.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    Remco looks in phenomenal shape based solely on his final pull for the QS sprint train.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023