Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Laporte with a perfect ride at DDV.

Nobody needed to gift him that one.

Wonder if Wout wants to rewind?
  • Mad_Malx
    Stephens' commentary is much better than the usual suspects'.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    seanoconn said:

Pidcock was on the start list but didn’t see him during the bits I managed to catch.

He finished 11th on the same time as the 2nd place. PCS called him as 'pulling' about 50-60ks out. Not sure if he was their main man for today; on paper they had a pretty strong team.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Mad_Malx
    Decent final 20km at the Miguel Induarain, and good parcours.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    Ethan Hayter wins from a fairly large bunch at Itzulia.
    Worryingly, Bernal led home the laughing group 6 minutes behind.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This news seems to have moved the PTP market
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Odd finale at the Basque
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Great ride by Cav in the final km there but just didn't have the legs when the youngsters opened up, 20m too long for him. Bol did a nice job of bringing him up around 1km out and then he surfed the various wheels to get a good position, possibly got forced into going a touch too early though. Philipsen takes it.
  • Pross
    Jakobsen nowhere, Cav held on for third. Theuns went early and then made it easy for Philipsen by leaving a nice gap on the barrier. Welsford second.
  • mididoctors
    Cav in 3rd ...looked ok
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Great ride by Cav in the final km there but just didn't have the legs when the youngsters opened up, 20m too long for him. Bol did a nice job of bringing him up around 1km out and then he surfed the various wheels to get a good position, possibly got forced into going a touch too early though. Philipsen takes it.

Yeah too early for sure but otherwise encouraging
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Jakobsen nowhere, Cav held on for third. Theuns went early and then made it easy for Philipsen by leaving a nice gap on the barrier. Welsford second.

Cav in 3rd ...looked ok

Cav on the up? Injury and sickness free, more to come? 🤞
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Cav in 3rd ...looked ok

Yeah, he seemed to have the pace but was on Theuns wheel who went early so he had to follow. Watching him move through both on Bol’s wheel then by himself was good to watch, Groenewegen tried a bit of barging to get out but Cav wasn’t having any of it, he looked confident. Everything will have to go right to beat the likes of Philipsen but he looks to be back up there.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Cav in 3rd ...looked ok

Yeah, he seemed to have the pace but was on Theuns wheel who went early so he had to follow. Watching him move through both on Bol’s wheel then by himself was good to watch, Groenewegen tried a bit of barging to get out but Cav wasn’t having any of it, he looked confident. Everything will have to go right to beat the likes of Philipsen but he looks to be back up there.
    Where was the Aussie wheel licker, Caleb Ewan?
  • Pross

Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Cav in 3rd ...looked ok

8th
  • Mad_Malx

Odd finale at the Basque

WTF was Shimano service bike doing inside the barriers of the final 100m on the finishing ramp? Ended up taking out Higuita & Carapaz
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    Pross said:

Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Cav in 3rd ...looked ok

8th
    I should know better by now than to waste a PTP pick on him!
  • mididoctors
    Basque was amusing
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Cav in 3rd ...looked ok

He has the speed, but he needs a perfect lead out. Very often he loses position on the run in from larger sprinters bumping him off the wheel.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2023
    I've mentioned this on twitter - but 16 years between first and last podium for Cav. Can anyone beat that. I looked at the likely suspects and found Zoetemelk at Amstel (15 years) and Poulidor at the Tour (14 years). Maybe Valverde.

Edit: Valverde matches it at the Vuelta
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    RichN95. said:

I've mentioned this on twitter - but 16 years between first and last podium for Cav. Can anyone beat that. I looked at the likely suspects and found Zoetemelk at Amstel (15 years) and Poulidor at the Tour (14 years). Maybe Valverde.

Valverde also matches it with La Flèche Wallonne. He has 15 year gap between 2nd at the worlds and 1st which is probably more notable.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023

RichN95. said:

Valverde also matches it with La Flèche Wallonne. He has 15 year gap between 2nd at the worlds and 1st which is probably more notable.
    I genuinely looked at Fleche and missed it. I looked at Valverde, Zoetemelk, Poulidor and Bartali
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I genuinely looked at Fleche and missed it. I looked at Valverde, Zoetemelk, Poulidor and Bartali
    Davide Rebellin?
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Davide Rebellin?
    Good shout

He won san Sebastien back in 97/98 iirc.... God knows when his last podium was

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Rebellin was out of the top tier from the late noughties really. He only rode three monuments in the 2010s; 2 x Lombardy and 1 x Milan-Sanremo.
  • Mad_Malx
    Basque St4: Landa sits on Vinegar's wheel for 20km, but happily Vingegaard still takes it and holds overall.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Mad_Malx said:

Basque St4: Landa sits on Vinegar's wheel for 20km, but happily Vingegaard still takes it and holds overall.

Landa led down most of the mildly terrifying descent. Also, Vingegaard is the race leader so it's accepted that he'll get sat on by the second placed rider if he breaks away.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023

DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Davide Rebellin?
    Good shout

He won san Sebastien back in 97/98 iirc.... God knows when his last podium was

Courtesy of @velostatistics on twitter, the ones to better Cav & Valverde are:

18 years: Pierino Gavazzi at the Trofeo Matteoti 1973-1991
    17 years: Davide Rebellin at the GP Prato 1998-2015
    17 years: Fausto Coppi at the Coppa Bernocchi 1939-1956
    17 years: Aldo Bini at Milano-Torino 1935-1952
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    The standard of the field excluding the top few riders seems very poor at the moment.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago