S*** Small Races 2023

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Roglic is not the cycle fans cyclist ....hard to like but he does nothing really wrong except that mad crash at the vuelta .. he is not a pure follower either ...bernal Vs roglic was pretty epic
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    I have to say I enjoyed watching both Adam Yates and Marc Soler sit in the lead group whilst their team's best chance of overall success was chasing back on after a mechanical. At least Yates was with him at the finish, Soler's reward for saving his energy was to be spat out the back when Evenepoel accelerated.
  • mididoctors
    I think Yates was on one speed mode recovering from the crash ..it was a odd call .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Evenepoel cracked him today. Good riding.
  • mididoctors

Evenepoel cracked him today. Good riding.

Dropping roglic is not a easy thing to do
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    That was an impressive finish - shaping up to be a good race.

Shame no competition from Thomas, Carapaz, Bernal etc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    Nasty weather in Belguim for Brugge - de Panne.
    Soudal Quickstep (or whatever they are calling themselves now) had 4 in front group at one stage and then blew the goup to pieces to leave themselves with one!
    Jasper Philipsen beat Koi in the 4 man front group.

Dan Lloyd hinting that Friday's weather will be nasty too.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited March 2023
    Demare and Groenewegen suffering forever just metres off the back of the chasing group. The harsh beauty of cycling it it's finest.

Philipsen played the finale perfectly.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Was easy for Philipsen to play it perfectly when he had diamonds in his legs
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Was easy for Philipsen to play it perfectly when he had diamonds in his legs

Good to see the Danish vernacular in the wild in translation!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    Well done to Ben Healy, who took his first pro win in today's stage of the Coppi-Bartali race.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Good win from Pfeiffer Georgi in the womens De Panne. Classic one two from the DSM riders but as they had 2 of the fastest sprinters in the womens peloton in the break with them. They didn’t have much option, surprised it worked though. Race got ripped to bits in the same places as the mens yesterday.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Womens De Panne was good fun, I thought
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Womens De Panne was good fun, I thought

Echelons! And they stuck!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    Kaden Groves wins in Catalunya to keep the Alpecin ball rolling
  • kingstongraham
    Meanwhile, in Catalunya, Quickstep trying to make the final climb as hard as possible and riders dropping like flies
  • kingstongraham
    Evenepoel forces Roglic to actually do something, and then loses to him
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Proper climb that, as said above Roglic not confident he can take Remco in a sprint so he actually did a turn but then Remco went too early.
  • kingstongraham
    I'm surprised Evenepoel didn't just drill it for the last 2km or so and see who could hang on. That seems to work for him.

Anyway, the Giro is going to be superb.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    How tf does Kaden Groves have a flat, has to do a bike swop with a team mate at 5km to go, get back on and win the sprint? Jings.

Volta s6.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    The GC guys were surging/attacking & stopping. Made the "sprint trains" less efficient and the motorcade directly behind probably made it extremely doable to bridge up again. Tremendous effort by Groves nonetheless.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Catalunya final stage would be better if Remco had the 10” lead so Roglic had to do more than sit on his wheel.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Catalunya final stage would be better if Remco had the 10” lead so Roglic had to do more than sit on his wheel.

Did Roglic just gift that?
  • Pross

Pross said:

Yeah, not sure what I missed but Kirby and Smith were suggesting he should before the finish and made it sound like there had been something in the previous few stages. I assume they were just saying it had been such a close battle throughout. From past experience of Roglic I didn’t think he would though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Yeah, not sure what I missed but Kirby and Smith were suggesting he should before the finish and made it sound like there had been something in the previous few stages. I assume they were just saying it had been such a close battle throughout. From past experience of Roglic I didn’t think he would though.
    Should have made it look good if he wanted it to be an actual gift, felt more like an insult
  • kingstongraham
    Laporte with a perfect ride at DDV.

Nobody needed to gift him that one.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Laporte with a perfect ride at DDV.

Nobody needed to gift him that one.

Tuned in off and on. Strong finish by Laporte.

Pidcock was on the start list but didn’t see him during the bits I managed to catch.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyp
    Amazing ride by Oier Lazkano from Movistar to get second. Was in the break all day, and appeared to be it's driving force, got caught with 6 kms to go and still had enough to get away with Powless at the end and hold off the peleton.
  • Pross
    Women's race was pretty good too.