Boris Becker

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

I did have an interest in winter sport... Tomba was big, but I can't possibly remember the name of a single bobsleigh, biathlete or skater...

Katharina Witt, now that it comes to think of it, wasn't she German? She was quite a big name...

Yes, went on to do some acting and was also the second person (after Marilyn Monroe) to be the cover person on a sold out edition of Playboy.

From a similar era there was also Heike Drechsler, one of the greatest long jumpers of all time (and decent sprinter too) although East German athletes from that period have a big asterisk next to their name.

The Germans have had a fair few well known cyclists over the years too on both track and road. There are also a lot more footballers than those you mention such as Klinsman.
    not to mention footballer managers.....

and their four gold stars and 3 silver stars on their shirts....

tbh, its random that people are even questioning how good Germany is at all sports.

We don't think they would be impressed if Eddy the Eagle was the best they had.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Staying on Tennis... What's Raducanu's real worth? Is she a number one player... or a top 10 player or a top 20 player or not even that?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    MattFalle said:

Right, serious question.

Combine Becker & Graf's victories.

More between them two alone than all British tennerists combined?

TBF Graf is doing a lot of the heavy lifting there. Andy Murray has quite a few more career singles titles than Becker and the same number of Grand Slam titles.
  • Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Right, serious question.

TBF Graf is doing a lot of the heavy lifting there. Andy Murray has quite a few more career singles titles than Becker and the same number of Grand Slam titles.
    Only half... Becker has 6 slams, Murray 3
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Read an article on the bog recently about Luc Alphand, darling skier of the resort I did my first season in who retired and went on to win Paris Dakar...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Read an article on the bog recently about Luc Alphand, darling skier of the resort I did my first season in who retired and went on to win Paris Dakar...

French though...
    I remember him... obviously I was a Ghedina fan
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Right, serious question.

Becker ahead ....
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

back onto tennis, Steffi Graf was quite good.

Yep, same time as Becker... she was better
    Different tax advisors though. But her Dad and Becker probably shared tax accountants!
    why do you say that?
    Both Mr Graf and Becker got busted for tax evasion. Hence they may have shared the same poor / dodgy tax accountant.

There was never even a hint of impropriety about Steffi's financial affairs, hence it's unlikely she had the same tax advisors as her Dad or Boris, as her tax advisors were presumably good.

Caveat - Don't like Boris. He's the same school year as me and he made me feel like the inadequate couch potato that I was when he won Wimbledon aged 17.

• Caveat - Don't like Boris. He's the same school year as me and he made me feel like the inadequate couch potato that I was when he won Wimbledon aged 17.

Different upbringing, he was born into money and had his way to success paved by his parents... can you say the same?

• Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Right, serious question.

Eh?

Murray Grand Slam -> 3.

Becker Grand Slam -> 6.

Career titles won:

Murray: 46 in singles, 3 in doubles.
    Becker: 49 in singles, 15 in doubles.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

• Caveat - Don't like Boris. He's the same school year as me and he made me feel like the inadequate couch potato that I was when he won Wimbledon aged 17.

Different upbringing, he was born into money and had his way to success paved by his parents... can you say the same?

I think the total lack of any kind of sporting ability (bar a high tolerance to pain) was rather more of an issue! My Dad supported my youthful cricket career to a great extent, but I was not equipped to do him justice.
  • And a small reminder of the sheer talent of Becker...

He won his first Wimbledon title - the pinnacle of achievement in the tennis world - aged 17. A junior. THEN backed up and defended it the next year at 18. He made the final 7 out of 10 years, and won it once more. Lost a couple to the other freakishly talented grass-court player in Stefan Edberg.

Irrespective of his other foibles, he was an other-worldly class player who probably heavily under-achieved in his later career thanks to the distraction of off-court dramas.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Right, serious question.

Eh?

Murray Grand Slam -> 3.

Becker Grand Slam -> 6.

Career titles won:

Murray: 46 in singles, 3 in doubles.
    Becker: 49 in singles, 15 in doubles.

My mistake, thought I saw 65 career titles for Murray on Wiki.

I’m still surprised by how much Becker won. I never felt he was on a par with many others in his era.
  • And a small reminder of the sheer talent of Becker...

He won his first Wimbledon title - the pinnacle of achievement in the tennis world - aged 17. A junior. THEN backed up and defended it the next year at 18. He made the final 7 out of 10 years, and won it once more. Lost a couple to the other freakishly talented grass-court player in Stefan Edberg.

Irrespective of his other foibles, he was an other-worldly class player who probably heavily under-achieved in his later career thanks to the distraction of off-court dramas.

Agreed. It's easy to forget just how good he was.

I read that in the 1990 Wimbledon final, he went 2 sets down to Edberg, after some heavy indulgence (of various mind-altering substances) the night before. He recovered sufficiently to level the match before losing the decider. You've got to be pretty good to be competitive against Edberg after a bender!
  • MattFalle

And a small reminder of the sheer talent of Becker...

WS is correct.
  • MattFalle

Caveat - Don't like Boris. He's the same school year as me and he made me feel like the inadequate couch potato that I was when he won Wimbledon aged 17.

eh?

way to success paved by parents?

what are you on about Willis?

he won what he did by sheer natural talent.

all the money in the world can't get you winning what he did.
  • Pete Sampras, what's he chopped liver?

Aaaannnnnndddddd, Ivan Lendl, wwwhhhooooooo also coached Andy Murray to greatness. Highly underrated players.

I rest my case me lud.
  • Pross said:

eh?

There is plenty of talent, but only a fraction of it gets spotted. It might well be that Charles Manson could have been a phenomenal soccer player, but life went a different way for him.
    Boris certainly had the talent, but he also grew up in a conducing environment... I read that his dad set up a tennis centre in his home town... these kind of things help... had his dad been a miner, instead of a wealthy architect, things might have turned out differently for him

• MattFalle
    this is a Boris Becker thread, not a Sampras thread.

And we're rapidly proving that Murray isn't that great.
  • ddraver
    Goran Ivanisevic is the only Wimbledon winner whose name alternates consonants and vowels.
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle

Pross said:

eh?

There is plenty of talent, but only a fraction of it gets spotted. It might well be that Charles Manson could have been a phenomenal soccer player, but life went a different way for him.
    Boris certainly had the talent, but he also grew up in a conducing environment... I read that his dad set up a tennis centre in his home town... these kind of things help... had his dad been a miner, instead of a wealthy architect, things might have turned out differently for him

and they might not have.

Brooklyn Beckham has all the money in the world but he's stillfuckinguseless at everything.
  • ddraver said:

and they might not have.

Brooklyn Beckham has all the money in the world but he's stillfuckinguseless at everything.

Obviously there is that too...

And anything in between, the almost good but not quite, like Axel Merckx...

I wonder about Wiggins' son... seems to have bit of talent?

• MattFalle

Staying on Tennis... What's Raducanu's real worth? Is she a number one player... or a top 10 player or a top 20 player or not even that?

Axel Merckx of tennis
  • ddraver
    I never said anything about young Master Beckham...
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    yes you did.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608

And a small reminder of the sheer talent of Becker...

Agreed. It's easy to forget just how good he was.

I read that in the 1990 Wimbledon final, he went 2 sets down to Edberg, after some heavy indulgence (of various mind-altering substances) the night before. He recovered sufficiently to level the match before losing the decider. You've got to be pretty good to be competitive against Edberg after a censored !
    Didn’t appreciate Becker while he was the dominant force on grass but did in the later years when his game was slightly on the wane and he could still complete with the best by sheer will. Enormous charisma on court and must have been difficult face across the net.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle said:

Staying on Tennis... What's Raducanu's real worth? Is she a number one player... or a top 10 player or a top 20 player or not even that?

Axel Merckx of tennis
    very different... he was consistently very decent, but not a star... she won a major title, but then she's been very very mediocre ever since... probably lost more matches than she won, which takes some doing in tennis!

• ddraver
    MattFalle said:

yes you did.

Lies bigger than a Qatari trust fund!!
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    ddraver said:

MattFalle said:

yes you did.

Lies bigger than a Qatari trust fund!!
    nah fam - its there, in small yet squiggly orange!
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Axel Merckx of tennis
    very different... he was consistently very decent, but not a star... she won a major title, but then she's been very very mediocre ever since... probably lost more matches than she won, which takes some doing in tennis!

give her a couple years more of mid table mediocrity and you'll see.