Boris Becker

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    always the auto bio to milk

oh.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Nothing like milking it, eh......

• MattFalle
    and i think we'll all agree that BB is sliiiightly more succesful than Thomas.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
    Don't forget the film..... soundtrack available on Amazon music if you want it.

Ugo's gonna explode
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    In shocking news, Tennis is a bit popular...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle said:

and i think we'll all agree that BB is sliiiightly more succesful than Thomas.

Don’t know about that. If you are a top player, you can win buckets of Slams, but if you are a top cyclist, you’ll struggle to rack up more than a handful of GTs.
    The top 3 shared over 60 Slams in the last 2 decades… nobody has won anywhere near as much top silverware in cycling…

For what is worth, comparatively, Thomas and Becker are not a million miles apart

left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    errr. no. Soz.

• MattFalle said:

errr. no. Soz.

Here is my conversion. It’s not unusual to win 2 slams in one year, it has happened over and over, it happens almost every year, 3 is also Not uncommon. It is very unusual to win 2 GT in the same year, it has happened 2 or 3 of times in the last 25 years.
    So I would convert 3 Slams to 1 TdF and maybe 2 Slams per Giro or Vuelta.

So, Djokovic has 21 points, I think, Merckx has 27 points
    Becker has 6 points, Thomas 3…

A more complete analysis would include half points for finals/podiums, would probably see them getting closer

• For what is worth, comparatively, Thomas and Becker are not a million miles apart.

The key thing though is that with Becker you can't help but wonder why he threw it all away, but with G, you think that he's probably over-achieved slightly despite liking the odd beer too many every now and again.

Plus of course whatever one's sporting achievements, not spending a spell in chokie and not fathering a child between courses in a restaurant broom cupboard are probably decisive favourable factors in most folks' books.

• Could it be that in Germany they are short of sporting heroes?
    Footy wins have always been the collective… they hardly had stars… maybe Gerd Muller and Beckenbauer… Matthaeus wasn’t… then they had some doped cyclists… who else?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608
    edited December 2022

Could it be that in Germany they are short of sporting heroes?
    Footy wins have always been the collective… they hardly had stars… maybe Gerd Muller and Beckenbauer… Matthaeus wasn’t… then they had some doped cyclists… who else?

Racing drivers off the top of my head.
    Winter sports.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle

For what is worth, comparatively, Thomas and Becker are not a million miles apart.

Plus of course whatever one's sporting achievements, not spending a spell in chokie and not fathering a child between courses in a restaurant broom cupboard are probably decisive favourable factors in most folks' books.

or a sign of being boring.

one of the two.

after ll, people love George Best snd fete upon his drinking and sausaging. Same for James Hunt. And that cricketerist who the English media celebrated because he turned up drunk at No. 10. What a jape! What a whheze! Geeza!

Or are they different because.....
  • MattFalle said:

For what is worth, comparatively, Thomas and Becker are not a million miles apart.

one of the two.
    "Boring" is a wholly subjective term. If to not be boring you have to have spent a spell inside and indulged one's biological imperative whilst digesting one's steak and contemplating the cheeseboard then I guess G is boring by default.

• seanoconn said:

Winter sports.
    Ah yes, Schumacher and Vettel…

Winter sports… who?

• MattFalle

seanoconn said:

Winter sports.

Winter sports… who?

seriously?
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022

MattFalle said:

one of the two.
    "Boring" is a wholly subjective term. If to not be boring you have to have spent a spell inside and indulged one's biological imperative whilst digesting one's steak and contemplating the cheeseboard then I guess G is boring by default.

yup. you said it.
  • MattFalle said:

seanoconn said:

Winter sports.

Winter sports… who?

seriously?
    Who?

• Winter sports… who?

Katja Seizinger and Anni Friesinger?

• Winter sports… who?

Never heard…

• MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

one of the two.

yup. you said it.
    Boring is good when it keeps you out of prison and saves you from public ridicule (and a massive paternity payment commitment).
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

seanoconn said:

Winter sports.

Winter sports… who?

seriously?
    Who?

check out luge, bobsleigh, biathlon..... all that kinda stuff.

theres more to it than Torville & Dean.
  • MattFalle
    back onto tennis, Steffi Graf was quite good.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Winter sports… who?

Never heard…

Because you have no interest in winter sport? Luge is a big sport in Germany in much the same way as speed skating is in the Netherlands. Probably much like cyclocross in Belgium.
  • I did have an interest in winter sport... Tomba was big, but I can't possibly remember the name of a single bobsleigh, biathlete or skater...

Katharina Witt, now that it comes to think of it, wasn't she German? She was quite a big name...
  • MattFalle said:

Yep, same time as Becker... she was better
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

I did have an interest in winter sport... Tomba was big, but I can't possibly remember the name of a single bobsleigh, biathlete or skater...

Katharina Witt, now that it comes to think of it, wasn't she German? She was quite a big name...

Yes, went on to do some acting and was also the second person (after Marilyn Monroe) to be the cover person on a sold out edition of Playboy.

From a similar era there was also Heike Drechsler, one of the greatest long jumpers of all time (and decent sprinter too) although East German athletes from that period have a big asterisk next to their name.

The Germans have had a fair few well known cyclists over the years too on both track and road. There are also a lot more footballers than those you mention such as Klinsman.
  • MattFalle said:

Different tax advisors though. But her Dad and Becker probably shared tax accountants!
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
    Right, serious question.

Combine Becker & Graf's victories.

More between them two alone than all British tennerists combined?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Different tax advisors though. But her Dad and Becker probably shared tax accountants!
    why do you say that?
  • MattFalle said:

Right, serious question.

Combine Becker & Graf's victories.

More between them two alone than all British tennerists combined?

Probably... even if you include Fred Perry, I guess